Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  07:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Carlo,

OOps I missed your last post/work...
Again very nice and realy "autumn mountainatmosphere" on that module!!

Been busy too with - trying- to make firtrees a bit more realstic so a more almost lookthroug foliage for these kind of trees
The preisermen are in H0 scale

little bit closer:

Jos

ginosega
New Hire

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  1:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing as always Jos - I especially like how the primary fir tree in the second picture (just left of center) tapers near the top. I have struggled to get the tops of my wire frame trees looking realistic - usually upon close inspection you can see where the larger diameter trunk wire ends, and to mask this I have to add so much filament and flocking that it ends up looking too thick.

-gino

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  3:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy to see you back posting again Jos!

Fantastic work! Those are the most realistic evergreens I have ever seen. The pine and firs looks very much like the ones we have in abundance here in Sweden.

Håkan

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  06:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These evergreens are fabulous, Jos.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  1:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Håkan and Frederic!
bw: indeed Håkan the trees are modelled from real Swedish trees!

Jos

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  4:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a small how to:
The foliage of the firtrees are made only with 6 and 2 mm grasfibers for the small branches and very fine sieved fine turf( green gras) for the "needles"of the firtrees...
I add/glue( sprayglue) the grassfibers on the frame upside down electrostatic . When done I turn the tree up and blow carefully with an airbrush or ratle can the fibers all pointing down...repeat the same with some( not to much!!) 2 mm grasfibers and let it dry for some hours.
Remove the fibers that were at the "wrong" place( trunk/start of branches) with a stiff small brush dipped in terpntin .
than spraying/coloring the added fibers:
first I spray from the top/above the branches in a kind of dust( khaki) color...
Holding the tree again upside down and again the "dust" color for the lower branches and dark green for the rest of the tree/fibers = the middlle and top of the tree.
here a picture of the different steps:( sorry for the German text/words....)

first tree with the 6 mm grasfib, second one 6mm and after that the 2 mm ones and the third tree is the one that is "painted"...so just before
adding the fine sieved turf.....

When dry I sprayglue the tree upside down and add also upside down!, with a strainer, fine turf over the branches.
The trick is that only the upperside won't get any green turf on it...so they will stay, mostly, clean!
Mostly you have to remove some turf from the lower parts of the trunk and branches...easy done with a small stiff brush+ terpintin....
that's all!
Also for small trees( N scale)3-5 inches tall!

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 10/23/2012 3:35:44 PM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  5:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Autumn arrived:

firtree in front: max. 3 inches

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  7:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...excellent Jos, a very good cromatic game for autumn tree scene!!!!!

Greetings

Carlo

ginosega
New Hire

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  12:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trees are great as usual Jos, but your groundcover and the stump in this photo are especially realistic.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  01:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now you fooled me good Jos! That photo is great, looking very realistic!
I must ask, what make are you using for the dried grass?

And thank you for the tutorial on the pines. I'm itching to try it.

Håkan

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  06:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carlo, Ginosega and Håkan!
About the groundcover and dried grass:
They are simply some "layers" of fine turf and some spots with coarse turf I glued for 2 years because I didn't have a electrostatic grasinstrument(?)
The colours I used were choosen for "summer" so more like green and dark green and on places where the trees were growing more earth colored turf /fine needles( 0,5 mm grey/brown POLACK).
Last month I wanted a more autumn look for the display for the trees so I changed it and by using the electrst. way to add the fibers of grass.
I THINK the tric could be that the ground/surface wasn't flat because of the already existing groundcover from 2 years ago...?
I painted the surface first with a khaki kind of colour ( cheap latexwallpaint)
Let it dry....than I just glued over the old surface and add the grassfibers( NOCH 6 mm dry grass) and some left overs from mininatur 2 mm also dry grass.
First the small ones and after drying the long ones.
Also made some tufts by dropping small "drops"of glue on the already added and dried 2 mm grassfibers.
I also used spraycolor( ratllecan) because I found the colours to "flat" I want to look it like the sun in afternoon was shining on it, so I choose a more yellow/orange color for the spray paint in combination with "kahki"color.
Btw: if you look carefuly you can still see the small drops of spraypaint on the fibers...

So in short: I dropped some fibers over the khaki colored rough surface...and making a picture close to ground so it looks like almost real???
May be beginners luck/It was more by hit than by wit...

Jos

ps
before planting the trees I carefully sprayed the fibers...down in the right corner you can see clearly the goldenbrown/orange colour...
The roots/dead branches are /were roots of a( dead) buxus sempervirens...of course dried carefuly before adding in the scene...
These trics aren't mine!!!! but I found all them overhere somewhere in this forum!!

Edited by - scotchpine on 10/21/2012 06:18:00 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  1:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this last picture is exceptionnally realistic, Jos.

Oliver W. Jr.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  8:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Oliver W. Jr.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Frederic... that's the best foliage and ground cover I think I've seen.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  11:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These are the best I have ever seen. The textures and colour are amazing. The direction of the foliage is so realistic. The natural gravity on every branch is bang on. Thanks Jos for sharing your techniques and creativity.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  3:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, Chris and Oliver.

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000