Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: pilot2fly ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  07:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Carlos,

Very nice small diorama!

Håkan( yipee I found the small o to put on your -a- from: H-å-kan!!!)
Thats much better!!
I know I am a "nit-picker" but maybe try to use instead of the coarse turf( it looks like you used the coarse turf???)...some fine turf.
When using the fine turf add some very fine 2 mm grassfibers over the edges/perifry of the tree before adding the turf.and only from the top of the tree...uhmmm how do you write this in english...hmmm holding the strainer just above the tree and tick against it so the turf will only fall( well mostly) on the top branches...so not the back.
Hope to see too more of your "tree-art..."

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 03/11/2012 07:36:21 AM

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  08:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jos,
thanks for the compliment, yes it's true I used a thick turf, is what I had available at home, I had to build in less than half a day the diorama, I have asked for a gift for Mother's Day.
Thank you for the excellent advice you give, is only for some time that I approached the building of the tree and he is warming more and more and now I want to experiment, to the foliage, your technique, using fiber to the branches, and Dacron the foliage of commercial Noch ..... let's see what comes out.....

Greeting

Carlo

Edited by - Marshall61 on 03/11/2012 08:31:47 AM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  3:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Carlo,

Please do not use the fine turf to imm. the leaves of the platanus acerifolia...This was ment for Håkan not to your tree!
Stay with the coarse turf or maybe even better: the leaves from NOCH
, collor: olive= Noch produktnumber:07140 Leaves - Olive 50g

Jos

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  3:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice Jos, I have at home the leaves of olive green Noch, I would still use the turf, it seems too "heavy" in imitation of leaves, perhaps because of the pine trees along the grass by 2/3 mm.

Greeting

Carlo

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  06:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotchpine

Hello Carlos,

Very nice small diorama!

Håkan( yipee I found the small o to put on your -a- from: H-å-kan!!!)
Thats much better!!
I know I am a "nit-picker" but maybe try to use instead of the coarse turf( it looks like you used the coarse turf???)...some fine turf.
When using the fine turf add some very fine 2 mm grassfibers over the edges/perifry of the tree before adding the turf.and only from the top of the tree...uhmmm how do you write this in english...hmmm holding the strainer just above the tree and tick against it so the turf will only fall( well mostly) on the top branches...so not the back.
Hope to see too more of your "tree-art..."

Jos

Many thanks Jos, I very much like your "nitpicking". That way I can improve. I used coarse turf through a strainer. I'll try your suggestions with the 2mm grass fibers and fine turf. I also try using some more branches. Three to the hole as you previously suggested. The latest tree was much smaller then the first and the next is somewhere inbetween so I think more branches would be good.

The weather is getting better and better so I'll move outdoors or to the garage when spraying the glue. I have noticed when I worked in my spraybooth that some of the overspray from the glue somehow floated down to the floor which became somewhat sticky. I had to scrub the floor on my hands and knees

Thanks,
Håkan

Rardshell
New Hire

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  01:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried looking at the acquarium stores and the pool stores in the area and so far haven't found any floss material like you have described. I've been trying to think of what I can use as an alternative and think I have an idea. I can cut twine or rope fibers into the appropriate lengths. I'll just have to watch the material and coarseness of the fibers.

I have located one of the two wire armatures I had made previously. I'm disappointed that I haven't found the second one as I thought it was my better effort. Worst case scenario is I'll have to start from scratch. Will get back on my efforts.

Darrell

building 1885 from scratch in S scale

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  06:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan, I think you have reached a new level of finish on your tree. Its light airy and very believable, WELL done. Pat

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  2:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Darrel,

quote:
I've been trying to think of what I can use as an alternative and think I have an idea. I can cut twine or rope fibers into the appropriate lengths. I'll just have to watch the material and coarseness of the fibers.

Ever thought on the fibers used in cheap wigs?
Straight...curved ..black white brown ....
Overhere some months before "carnaval" sold in many shops. may be in your country some weeks/months before haloween???

Cut the fibers in small pieces...max an inch and some smaller....

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 03/29/2012 2:21:49 PM

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  6:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did try cutting up some 1/8" jute twine.....pretty easy to get a fast pace going.
I would cut a piece with a scissor about 1/2" long and with a slight twist of the thumb and index finger of the hand holding the twine, was able to give the cut piece a slight "twist" which "unraveled" the cut piece enough that when it fell into the collection box it released the individual fibers.

What is missing is the natural "static electricity" in a poly fiber vs a natural fiber.....but it does work.

good thing is the fibers are naturally "brownish" in color....tom

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  06:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallo,
I just finished the third of four acacia trees that will be part of a small grove, I'll post a photo:

Greeting to all!

Carlo

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  3:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very nice Carlo!!

Håkan

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  06:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I'll post some pictures of my latest creations, are Beeches 4 of which are destined to a small grove and a solitary tree as a center. I deliberately changed the color of the foliage from late summer to autumn to get a different chromaticity. One of them has a particularity a small nest in the vicinity of its top.

Greetings to all!!!

Carlo

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  08:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jos and all!

Carlo, they will make a nice little grove!

Spring has finally come to our cold little country so time not devoted to work is now devoted to real trees and gardening.

I have finished my third big tree and posted some pictures below. This one (the one on the right in the pictures) I'm much happier with because the canopy is a little denser. I also did like Jos suggested and used fine turf (WS weeds) instead of coarse turf. But still I have trouble applying the gardenpond fibers which is a complete chore. This time after I sprayed the branches with glue, instead of sprinkling the fibers on I took clumps of loose fibers and placed them directly on the branches with my fingers. Sprinkling the fibers on is difficult as they easily tend to clump together and must be separated until they can be sprinkled again. I guess this tendency to clump together has to do with this special type of fiber.

Happy modeling

Håkan

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  08:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallo Håkan,
thanks for the compliments and congratulations for your great achievement, trees are very realistic!

Greetings

Carlo

Edited by - Marshall61 on 04/11/2012 09:01:07 AM

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  09:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
I'll post some pictures of the diorama that I'm building and will be included in a module for the Marklin modular Marklinfan Club of Italy.
It 'a mountain lake with a closed, I found some pictures on the net, and a whole lot of vegetation around it ... it is totally self-made from closed, mountain house (hut) and the trees.
The work is not finished yet and now I'm devoting to the construction of other conifers and other deciduous trees:

Greetings.

Carlo

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000