Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

Rardshell
New Hire

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  12:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Angela,

Here in the USA there is not a lot of loose filter media available, but it is out there. I did a Google search, and it took a bit, but here is one item I found:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_EHFISYNTH_Filter_Floss_Filter_Floss_Mechanical_Filter_Media-Eheim-EH2504051-FIFMMEMF-vi.html
I'm sure that any store that specializes in aquarium supplies would be able to provide you with something similar. Even if they don't have it in stock, they can special order it.

The second option, which may not be preferable but should work, is to get some of the prevalent bonded filter media "filter pad" which is readily available. It usually comes in a roll which you "cut to size". You would have to not only cut to size, but also tear it apart. If you don't want to separate it into individual fibers, you can use it in a manner similar to the use of the "Scotch" pad. Simply cut a small piece and pull it out to a loose mesh, then thread it onto a branch and glue it in place. That is the method I had used some 15 years ago to make a couple trees in O scale using furnace filter for the mesh. As Jos says, "less is more" so be sure to stretch out the mesh. It goes a lot farther per $ that way too.

I hope this helps....

Darrell Smith

building 1885 from scratch in S scale

Rardshell
New Hire

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  12:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another one. I think this is a loose "roll", not loose fibers, but should pull apart easliy, and the price is not bad:

http://www.bigalspets.com/Big-Als-Filter-Floss-20-Sq-Ft/dp/B004K82M6S

Darrell S.

Rardshell
New Hire

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  1:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now this is more like it:

http://www.aquariumguys.com/mech-floss.html

So as you can see, the material is "out there" you only have to look in the right place to find it! If you have a local store that has it on hand or can order it, you may get it without shipping cost too.

Darrell

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  8:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys, I'll check those out

Angela

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  3:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, today the sprayglue arrived and I could proceed with the tree. It did not come out quite like I wanted to . I wanted it not so airy but more dense. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Perhaps I should have had more filterfibers (cut to 10-20mm length). The branches are quite naked near the trunk. Not sure how I apply more fibers there. Also I had trouble applying the sprayglue. I sprayed the whole canopy with glue but when I was to apply fibers the glue somehow had lost its stickiness so not much adhered. I ended up using nearly half a expensive 400ml spraybottle on it. I'm considering using cheap hairspray first and then last apply the more expensive sprayglue to seal it??

Ideas are most welcome!

Håkan

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  4:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Hakan,

As a start it not that bad at all!!
May be the next tree: add 3 wires of 0,4 mm in each drilled hole for the branches. As I can see on the picture it looks like you did 2 wires per drilled hole?
Did you add the 6 mm grassfibers too???....may be add them twice! So first "one layer" with the 6 mm...let it dry/set for an hour or so and press them flat/horizontal...after that add the next layer again with the 6mm grassfibers.
the trick is to spray the glue only over/on the perefery/outside of the tree canopy so that the extra added fibers will stick( grow) on the outside of the branches!( well it has to look like it, of course!)
Same procedure again= flatten the added fibers .
again spray only over the outside of the tree and add the 2 mm fibers.
Spray the fibers in a darker color than the turf you want to add...
Finaly add the needles= fine or course turf.

Jos

Rardshell
New Hire

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  10:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan, I agree with Jos, this is really a decent result. Okay, perhaps it is not quite museum quality, but I have seen worse in some museums! If your next one is even better, I think you are well on your way.

Is there a way to brush on some adhesive to the wireframe branches? Perhaps a latex-base adhesive that stays tacky for some time? If so you could control where the adhesive will be to stick the fibers... Just an idea.

I need to dig out my wire frames and take some photos so you can see them, and then get going on more progress!

Darrell

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  06:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jos and Darrell for the encouraging words.
Today I thought it looked even worse then yesterday I'm only somewhat happy with how the trunk came out. I'll give that one a dark wash with raw umber and some more drybrushing.

quote:
Hello Hakan,

As a start it not that bad at all!!
May be the next tree: add 3 wires of 0,4 mm in each drilled hole for the branches. As I can see on the picture it looks like you did 2 wires per drilled hole?
Did you add the 6 mm grassfibers too???....may be add them twice! So first "one layer" with the 6 mm...let it dry/set for an hour or so and press them flat/horizontal...after that add the next layer again with the 6mm grassfibers.
the trick is to spray the glue only over/on the perefery/outside of the tree canopy so that the extra added fibers will stick( grow) on the outside of the branches!( well it has to look like it, of course!)
Same procedure again= flatten the added fibers .
again spray only over the outside of the tree and add the 2 mm fibers.
Spray the fibers in a darker color than the turf you want to add...
Finaly add the needles= fine or course turf.

Many thanks Jos that makes it much clearer. I used the 6mm fibers but I put them on in only one layer. I see what you mean that putting on the 6mm fibers in layers creates more volume. I did not flatten the fibers inbetween coats only after the first layer of filterfibers. And I'll only added 2 wires per hole. The holes was drilled about 7-10mm apart.

Jos, what do you think about using hairspray and then use "real" sprayglue as sealer?

The look I want to achieve is like your fantastic Sequia below.

quote:
I need to dig out my wire frames and take some photos so you can see them, and then get going on more progress!
Darrell, it would be great to see you're work.

Thanks,
Håkan

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello Håkan,

I found a picture of a simulair tree:

As you can ,hopefully, see on the bottom of the canopy of the tree I used the 6 mm grassfibers.
For the sequoia I only "squeezed" the fibers the first time I ad them...the second time I added the 6 mm fibers( strainer!) with just some little bit sprayglue, I did blow them ( air brush or airspraycan(???)or just blowing!!!them down. Specialy those that are glued( growing) at the "bottom"branches.
picture taken from the bottom up to the top:

Note that these trees are a lot smaller than yours. And they do not have that much branches as your twice as taller trees.

Jos

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  03:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, some time ago I did this old plane tree had not yet made the setting, so to be asked of a friend I made a small diorama of a board, imagining that he was behind a piece of wall in a garden, you place a photograph:

Greetings at all!

Carlo

Edited by - Marshall61 on 03/07/2012 03:57:27 AM

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  7:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carlo
Nice little diorama. What scale?
Mike M

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  12:55:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,
it's in H0 scale, thanks for compliments!

Carlo

Edited by - Marshall61 on 03/08/2012 01:00:23 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  2:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, I have been away from the forum for some days celebrating my wifes birthday so I have some catching up to do.

Carlo, very nice tree diorama!

The Sequia experiments is continuing and after following Jos (Thanks Jos!) advice I came up with the tree below. It is smaller then the previous one but I'm happier how this one came out. My camera and photo skills are not the best so the tree looks wider on the photo then in reality.

Thanks,
Håkan

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  2:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...wonderful sequoia tree, Hakan,
congratulations for the achievement!

Greeting

Carlo

ginosega
New Hire

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  8:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent tree, Hakan, very well done!

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000