Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  4:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found out I had a thread on another forum about how to make the loops with the floristic wires;
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5015&page=2
Scroll down to post #13 'till #19...
Pat I hope it is the right info you were looking for???

Jos

belg
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  8:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotchpine

Yes indeed Pat.
I use an extra third wire to lengthen the branches. If even longer or more twigs: add some more smaller/shorter wires as shown in the ( hope it makes sense? ) drawing...

and to make largr/thicker branches just add a wire at the trunk. twist/turn it one around the thick"trunkwire"and add again a new wire...:

Jos

Jos, I guess you would have to tell us if its the right pictures that go along with this post? I don't see in those pics though how you build up the thickness where it is close to the main trunk. I would also like to know where you guys are getting the different thicknesses of floral wire I can only get one size at Micheals and thats 22 gauge don't know what size that is in MM's.

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  03:05:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Pat, on the side of the boxes is the name the-wire-man.com . Checked their site and it's in english to, jump to this page http://www.hrgmbh.de/en/products_fw/lacquered_fixingwire.shtml . Got the boxes saying gelakt bloemendraad..according to that 22 gauge will be 0.7mm

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  2:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pat,
may be this can be helpful to convert the diameter into mm or wire gauge into inches?
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html

Jos

belg
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  06:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marty, Jos thanks for the info the chart with wire gauges will be helpful in more than just this use. Pat

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  12:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I know...I've got no layout...but I have to do something!!
Some birches H0 7 inches

and some tropical kind of trees Nscale <5 inches

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 01/26/2012 12:58:04 PM

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  4:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the last lot of trees you made Jos. I wish we could find some of the fiber stuff here.

Angela

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  4:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kick ass trees again Jos !!! This is my latest one guess around 1'4"

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  5:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Angela and Martin!

Hey Martin, before adding the small grassfibers just squeeze the branches horizontaly...
between thumb and pointing finger or a "large "tweezer
The tree becomes more layered kind of branches around the trunk...
Try to squeeze the fibers not too flat....just experiment with this...
something like ,in this case, branches of a firtree:

May be doing this after adding the fibers???....?
And of course first make some trees and look what the results/effects are: they will look great on your layout!!!!

Jos

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  6:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip Jos, will try it !!

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  2:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I'm in my first post in this forum and wanted to introduce myself, my name is Carlo and I live in Leghorn (Tuscany)- Italy and I have 50 years.
I am passionate about the scale Marklin H0 AC system and practical both analog and digital protocol Marklin / Motorola, not a layout but I still belong to the Club Marklinfan Italy and I'm building some modules for the Modular Layout Marklin.
I discovered my passion for trees and thanks to the advice of Jos and others friends known in other European Forum, I managed to get good results, this are pictures of my latest creation a Farnia (or oak) I built for my dear friend. It will not be destined to a miniature railway, but will be placed on a desk, its dimensions are 18 cm. high and a maximum diameter of 21 cm.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/5953/crl5119.jpg

Good evening to all and to rewrite.

Carlo

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  2:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jos,
First of all I want to tell you that your model trees are the most realistic I have ever seen! I have followed you’re threads and tutorials for some time now and have tried to make some trees using your methods. I’m mainly into pine trees as I’m modeling Northern California in HO.

If I may I want to ask you what in your opinion is the best method to make trees for a large redwood grove? On my layout I’m making a logging area with some large trees in the range 40-80cm. A little like Paul Scoles has on his layout.
I think I have seen you’re using two methods. One using a dowel for the whole trunk with inserted wires for branches. The other using a dowel for the lower trunk and twisted wire around core wire for the upper part. Which in your experience would be best?

When you make the trees how do you apply the cut fibres? I could not find how you did this so I tried various methods but settled on storing the cut fibres in a box and then with my hand sprinkling them on the pre glued tree armature. I have used Noch sprayglue. My main problem is that I usually ends up with too much fibres on the branches and don’t get that airy look as your trees have.

Thanks and happy modeling
Håkan

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  5:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Häkan,

I think I have seen you’re using two methods. One using a dowel for the whole trunk with inserted wires for branches. The other using a dowel for the lower trunk and twisted wire around core wire for the upper part. Which in your experience would be best?

Well that is up to you...IFf you want to modell a healthy conical sharp top of the trees I think the methode of the dowel for the lower parts and in the top the wired frame could be the best solution to make those trees...
But if the tree has to look like stroke by lightning I think the dowel or a piece of round balsawood that is modelled at the top like hit by lightning....will do as well.

so I tried various methods but settled on storing the cut fibres in a box and then with my hand sprinkling them on the pre glued tree armature. I have used Noch sprayglue.

That is how I work too...!!!!
Maybe use a sieve/straigner to add the grassfibers!! I use almost always a small strainer for the 2mm grassfibers and a large one for the 6 mm grassfibers.
About adding the cutted fibers ( the docotwister/woolyfibers??)
Indeed as you wrote: just by hand and just very less of them on the branches/twigs!
A trick I use is the next one: twist the tree with your fingers - holding the groundpin firm between thumb and pointing finger- fast to the left and to the right.NOT TO fast!!! otherwise the fibers will fly anywhere exept on the tree! lol
This method can be done as wel with the long grassfibers....
I als press the fibers on the twigs , after adding the 6 mm grassfibers, a kind of flat with my fingers or when space is to small: tweezers.
Let all dry for some hours and than spray the fibers= outside of the shape of the tree in a darker color than the turf/needles you want to add.
Finaly adding the dark green( in your case)2 mm grassfibers( les is more) and than the fine turf or the corse turf or whatever you like.

Hope I answered all your questions???

Jos

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  03:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jos,
many thanks for your answer. It answered all my questions. Now it’s off to the workbench to see if one can make something passable. As it is many trees I have to make up a little "factory" to make them. But first some experimentation. I have inserted a picture of the latest experiment which I made before I saw your thread on using dowels. I hope they look somewhat passable compared to my deciduous trees that look just awful. They have a little too light color as I experimented with different coarse turf and how they looked under the layout lights.

Thanks,
Happy modeling

Håkan

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  05:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallo Hakan, are also very beautiful your trees, how high are they?

Greetings.

Carlo

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000