Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  03:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Frederic,

The wooden BBQpicks , I think, can be used ...However...I like the top of a ( conifer)tree to be very tapering(?)also in O scale!
Also the trunk...when using a BBQstick, is alot more difficult to make/model of a sequoia/pinetree
That's why I prefer a balsa or wooden stick( tilleul/lime tree) as the base of the trunk and 1/2 way or 2/3 of the tree I put a frame made of wires on it and cover the transition with some fine sawdustlayers....The transition will be almost invisable after adding the foliage.
For the lower branches I drill some small holes ta add/glue the branches made of pieces of floristic wires
btw we're talking about conifertrees, aren't we??

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/20/2011 03:10:10 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  03:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we are.

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  03:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Jos, must give it a try with the two part trunks. Although I think my tops are rather thin at the moment, using a drill and for modeling hughe beltsander to accomplish this. But you're right on the difficult part of adding branches at the top...

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  05:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, Frederic,
I am working on a new O scale tree making the way I wrote about, specialy for this thread right now...hope to post a/some pictures this afternoon( paint is still to wett...)

Jos

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  08:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, I'm eagerly looking forward to your progressive photos of the O scale tree you are doing....

Thank you

Angela

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  11:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here are some pictures of the tree so far:
The frame in all its glory:

the transition from trunk to the wiredframe:

Some samples of trunks...the right one is made of balsa the other ones are/were just some small pieces of wood( round/cylinder)

As you can see( hopefuly) the left trunk is colored the way MIke wrote about..so NOT with the Latexwallpaint as I used to do in the beginning of coloring them....The engraving is still there and looks more natural.

This picture shows the branches I made by drilling 1 mm holes and stick some=3 wires(0,4diam mm) in it. Attached them with a drop of superglue.I also used some 1 mm diam.( floristic)wire branches, specialy in the lower parts of the trunk...

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/20/2011 12:55:14 PM

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  11:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jos,
I have been quietly watching in the background for a while now and have been amazed at the results you have been getting with wire.
I tried the wire armature thing before and was not very happy with my results, so I gave up.

Now you have taken this type of tree to a new level, (pardon the pun).

OK, so I have a question,
I would like to know if you continue the bark treatment up onto the sawdust and glue portion, or is the roughness of that mixture good enough?
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  12:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ralph,

quote:
I would like to know if you continue the bark treatment up onto the sawdust and glue portion, or is the roughness of that mixture good enough?

I think it is a matter of taste(?)... and also almost the entire top of the tree will disapear under the foliage because it has to look like a young healthy sequoia....So in short:I don't continue with the barktreatment on the "sawdust"part of the tree and yes it is enough because the eye can't see anything of the upper parts/top of the trunk.

it'll be another story when modelling an old one ...lightning , storms etc modelled/shaped the top of that tree with , may be, many gaps between the branches/foliage...

The only thing I try to do is to get the transition from wooden trunk to ironwired frame smooth so it won't be that much visable.

Jos

ps I hope to start with adding the fibers on the branches tonight and of course making some pictures.....

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/21/2011 02:47:12 AM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  1:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jos for the additional info. Got 0.4mm , 0.6mm 0.8mm 1mm and 1.5mm floristwire. Must do the trick of more branches I thing..give it a shot..

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  5:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Added the decotwister fibers wich I cut in small lengths first of max 1/2 an inch...

followed by the 6 mm grassfibers:

also followed by the 2 mm grassfibers( just a darkcolored type)and sprayed in a brown/grey color:

total view of the tree:

Have to shape the fibers on the branches here.and there with a scissors and sometimes a tweezer or brush dipped in terpintin to loose the "wrongplaced"fibers..
Hope to finish the tree tomorrow!

Jos

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  5:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive and very well described.
I have reworked the sawdusting of one of my armatures today. I checked that even my thinner sawdust was still too coarse, and it was... Since I didn't have better one available (how do you manage to get yours, Jos? Is it a hard work based upon filing and sweating?), I used some very thin sand to improve the trunk and it started to look nice. The thing is not complete as yet, but it seems we are slowly going towards a first complete armature.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  6:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ne te dépêche toi Fredric!
I still have to watch( sneak!!) my dictionary for that!!
btw; I got the sawdust( MDF) from a friend who works as a carpenter!!!He had a big order 2 years ago with a lot of MDF sheets ( +/-25 mm) which edges had to be sanded in a round shape ...so I have enough for the next 2 years!!!

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/20/2011 6:06:57 PM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  6:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I could send you a big box full of it, it's the main material I work with in my one on one. But I suggest Frederic to go to a local DIY shop where MDF is been sold and cut for customers. Or find a small woodworking shop...

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  8:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jos
Thank you for the reference. Your trunks look really great now.
Thanks for the mention by the Tree Master.
Regards
Mike M

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  05:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Added the green stuff( fine turf WS dark green/weeds)and sprayed grey/green over the outside of the foliage/ crown of the tree

detailpicture:

Jos

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000