Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: John R ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  09:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its mindblowing how real they look.

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great job Jos !!

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  7:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jos
Inspirational modeling as usual. I thought this might help with the Sequoia's
A nice BIG Tree. A few hundred years old.

Mike M

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  4:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!
That kind of big Sequoiatrees overhere are not possible...they started planting these trees about the 19th century( was very "trendy "those days specialy for the rich ones!)
made another picture with a more "improved" color of the trunk....
and some nice small clouds.....

Jos

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  5:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jos
Do you have a picture of an actual tree in your neck of the woods? If you notice the branch shape on the Sequoias here in California and the Pacific North west they form an umbrella shape and except for the lower few grow in an upward direction. Also, except for the upper area, foliage density is light on the Redwoods. Are you carving trunks from balsa for these trees instead of your usually sawdust bark?
Mike M

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  6:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mike,
yes the trunk( 1/2!!) is made out of balsa...but I covered the fine/rough engraving with to much paint...=(
Your right about the old sequoias'shape in the top of the trees..I watched carefuly the trees overhere wich are also almost, well the oldest, 200 years old and started too to grow like an "umbrella" shaped form.( lightning and severe storms because they don't have any protection from other trees)
the ones I tried to modell are lets say "youngsters"...
Also ,indeed, the foliage is still to dense...have to work on that too...Thanks MIke!

http://www.monumentaltrees.com/nl/nld/gelderland/apeldoorn/325_landgoedbruggelen/

Jos

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  8:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jos.
The trees growing in your country look the same as the ones here.
Before I say anything else, I need to preface this conversation with one fact. You are the "KING" when it comes to crafting realistic trees. I have never seen better. What I don't get is where do you find the time to spend modeling your beauties. Do you work? or you independently wealthy and have too much time on your hands.
If I may make 2 suggestions? Instead of trying to texture the balsa with paint, get a horse shoeing rasp. It's what I use to form my tree trunks and it leaves some pretty deep grooves in the balsa. It makes shaping the trunks really easy. I can carve a trunk in 5 minutes from 3/4" square stock. Second. I found that using a wash of acrylic paint, colors/stains the trunk with out hiding details. Also since water raises wood grain, it helps to add texture to the trunk.
Again, I bow down to the "TREE KING"
Mike M

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  8:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Here is the link to my trunk and tree build from 2 years ago.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27962
Mike M

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  8:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also
here is the follow-up as the trees and trunks progressed
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30949
Mike M

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  9:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rfmicro

1.5 mm equates to 0.059 inches or approx. 15-16 AWG, and 0.6 mm equates to 0.0236 inches or 22-23 AWG. The AWG should help search for products and vendors.

Regards,

Is that the size wire to use for O scale trunks?

Angela

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  10:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Angela,
To a large extent the size wire you use will depend on what size tree you are modeling in O scale. For example, Jos linked to a page of Giant sequoia. The Engelander Holt 20 (solitary tree) .. has a 4.80m Circumference. That's 1.528m dia .. or 5 ft. That would be 1-1/4 inches dia in O scale. Quite the large plant!

Ed

quote:
Originally posted by angelanzus

quote:
Originally posted by rfmicro

1.5 mm equates to 0.059 inches or approx. 15-16 AWG, and 0.6 mm equates to 0.0236 inches or 22-23 AWG. The AWG should help search for products and vendors.

Regards,

Is that the size wire to use for O scale trunks?

Angela

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  04:07:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Big boys the are, only a bit more then half the size in height the ones in the US. Would be almost 29 inch in 0 scale..pff BIG !!

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  05:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wes and martin!

Mike,

I did make the trunk the same way as you wrote/showed in your thread about making those giant trees....( actually I was cribbing it!)
However I used the wrong paint!
All the fine carves/engraving were disapeared because the paint filled them up and the fine sharp edges became round!

quote:
I found that using a wash of acrylic paint, colors/stains the trunk with out hiding details. Also since water raises wood grain, it helps to add texture to the trunk.

Thanks MIke- again!-...and that is exactly what I will try next time!
He he on the other hand this kind of bark looks like....uhhmm...well I will find a kind of tree with a bark that looks like the ones I just made.....but of course NOT seqoias!
That is also what I like about this hobby: "fiddling" things out by yourself and not afraid to make "mistakes"...
In long run actually "mistakes and failures" do not exist in our great hobby

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/16/2011 05:15:35 AM

wirten
Section Hand

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  08:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, Iím fairly new to the forum and found this thread just a couple of days ago.

But yor trees rocks, they are absolutely fantastic. I just hope that I will be able to make anything close to your trees when the times come to start forresting my layout.

Anders

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2011 :  5:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great sequoia, Jos, and I'm sue you'll be able to correct the slight problems emphasized by Mike.
I've tried today my first tree armature following your technique, and applied a first coat of sawdust tonight. Since I had no 1.5 hard wire available, the whole trunk is a bit flexible, and for the moment I don't dare touching anything because sawdust tends to fall since the glue is still wet. I hope it will be better tomorrow and I'll post a picture.

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000