Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Bridge ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  2:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those trees are better than life! You set new standards... Inspiring and scary!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  4:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you can't.
The trees in the last shots are great too.

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  06:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotchpine

Thanks everyone for the kind/nice words! :)
Shortliner: "are the polyfibres from aquarium filters or from aquarium plants?"
No they are just , as you wrote, polyfibers used in filters. The y are not artificial plants ( made of plastic)
They can be bought in different size : very thin ,thin and more a "rough kind.
I use the "fine" ones( pale white-green) for the birches and the "rough"( blue) ones for the "common" decidious trees(+the "rough ones" they make the proces of making trees faster! ;-)
Hope i can show you the pics of "the how" to and the fibers soon!

Jos

Jos - many thanks, and looking forward to the tutorial - Jack

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  08:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"FAST" shrubs...

Well here are some examples of how you can make fast some bushes/shrubs..
the showed examples are all/can be used in HO scale
what you need is:
*sprayglue
*the fibers, of course
*(floristic) wire
*small grassfibers( 2-3 mm)
*finaly the leaves, like WS turf/fine turf/coarse turf may be the leaves of NOCH everything is possible if it fits on/at your layout. I mean the color and texture!I think these last 2 things are very important...
First start to take some/a bunch fibers and cut them in parts of 3 inches. Try to "model"/lay them all in one way/direction ,like the tobacco when ( never done it before but have seen it many times ) rolling a cigarette.
take the wire and make a large loop. put the bunch of fibers in the midlle of the loop and twist/turn the wire till the fibers are fixated/cannot loose. I glue it always with a drop of cyan. glue( powerglue?)dries in a second!
If the fibers don't have a natural color just spray them in the right color.
when dry add the fine grassfibers with some( not to much!!) sprayglueand finaly:
add the leaves by again spraying a LITLLE bit of sprayglue over the outside of the fibers .
that's it...within 15 minutes you can make a bunch of bushes/shrubs!
to "neutralize"the sprayglue I always spray the bushhes at least twice with matte varnis..
so the dust that will always attack your layout won't stick to the bushes and can be removed by a vac. cleaner or something like that

and a picture of the colors of the fibers I can getbuy overhere...

Jos

segunda_aguada
New Hire

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  3:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see segunda_aguada's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well..., absolutely impressive trees and very rational technique.
Quick ones: do the Noch polyfiber #95750 work well ?, and which Noch Blätter number are you referring to...? none of the Noch products I've seen look like those small leaves... (N scale, I mean).
Again, congratulations,

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  5:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Antonio,

Well I use the Noch leaves like these:
http://www.noch.de/en/produktkatalog/listview.php?search=true&suchbegriff=leaves&spurweite=
And for using in N scale I use a big fine kitchen sieve to get the smallest leaves out of the packages...helas: only 5-10% of it can be used for Nscale....the leftovers are for HO scaletrees I have to make.......
BTW: ever tried colored sawdust made out of MDF?? it is great for N scale. I also use a fine kitchensieve to get the right "scale"leaves for N.
about the fibers you want to use ...I don't know if these fibers work too?
I think they are to thin and not that strong as the fibers showed in the pic I posted..so I think it will not work in the way I wrote about making "fast"shrubs...

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/17/2008 6:03:31 PM

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  6:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Super dooper looking trees, I use the polyfiber extensivly although I've never tried it for trees.

NE Brownstone
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  11:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit NE Brownstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jos,

WOW, those have to be the best looking model trees I have ever seen. I had to go back and check them out again. Great stuff.

segunda_aguada
New Hire

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  06:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see segunda_aguada's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Jos; yes I have used sawdust, but hoped there would be leaves for N-scale available already...; let's make our own.
Tks again and -please- more inspiring photos !!!!

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  07:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Antonio because I still cannot get to my pics in the other PC here are some I posted on an other forum:

a HO frame of a "fairy tale" tree

autumn tree:

Ho tree during the winter :

in the midlle of a forrest:

some more H0 trees:

last: some of the green stuff I make on my own N scale module:

jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/14/2011 03:21:18 AM

NE Brownstone
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  09:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit NE Brownstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The autumn and winter trees take the cake! I really had to scrutinize them to make sure they weren't real. Your work is unbelievable. Make a DVD and sell it. I'll buy one and I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would be interested.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  09:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos,
Again, your trees are as good as they get.
I like how you modeled the trees in the following picture.

I live in Georgia, the state not the country and here is a southern pine that shows that lower branches tend to die off and turn brown.
You have captured that look even better than on a real tree.

Looking forward to you getting your computer back and sharing your techniques.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  11:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, these trees are fantastic! Thanks for sharing with us Jos.

What did you use for the fairy tree frame? Also, your pine trees are outstanding. What do you use for the foliage material on those (for example the "blown down" tree you posted early in the thread)?

Really looking forward to the tutorials.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  12:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

The foliage I used is from the german "Silflor"" or "Miniatur" very expensive at the first sight...but!! you can make 5-7 trees from about 8-9 inches out of one big piece of that foliage so each tree will cost 7-8 dollars +the frame of wires and sawdust= 0,8976 dollar( jokin but that part is very cheap!) It is the time that is the "must expensive" part of making those trees!
The frame of the fairy tree is made out of dried roots and twigs of a Buxes semperviren( don't know the USA word for it)
I glued them together like a puzzle... Of course I choosed the roots that fitted almost exactly for this purpose...here a not so good picture of the proces( only one that is available now)

So I drilled small holes to lengt the branches with drilled wires.

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/18/2008 12:38:53 PM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  12:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BBags: just use some, very litlle, cutted( 1/4 -1/2 inch ) fibers and glue them with a litlle bit of sprayglue on the ends of the twigs( wired) first and than add the "leaves" by spraying again carefully the other parts of the twigs/branches that should be "coverd"with leaves..

Jos

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000