Railroad Line Forums - Some HOn30 rolling stock (In the works)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 192 ]  [ Total: 195 ]  [ Newest Member: CPinMI ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Some HOn30 rolling stock (In the works)
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: First Brass Paintjob Topic Next Topic: Rolling Stock for the SR&N
Page: of 3

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  01:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy Folks,

I've had a little bit of time over the last few weeks to finish up a few odds and ends I've had on the go for a while.

First a four wheel boxcar that's scratchbuilt from sheet styrene on top of a shortened Roco European freight car frame. I was trying to go for a generic 'European industrial' look:

Second a small coach, built over a similar 4-wheel chassis as the boxcar. It's not finished but it finally has a roof, it's been without one for years:

Finally, I mounted two OO9 coaches, (from Parkside Dundas) on some Roco disconnects. Also not done, but I like the look of them:

Depending on if I can find the time, I'll keep y'all updated...

-Cody

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  05:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cody
Your creativity and modeling skills always amazes me. Some terrific modeling !!
Peter

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  10:24:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody,
Cool designs you have there.
Interesting passenger coaches they are sort of like camp cars riding on disconnects cars. I hope they are third class cars as they may not be too comfortable for the LPB’s.
Larry

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  12:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  7:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice little cars, Cody.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  07:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to show I haven't been a complete slacker I thought a picture of my most recent rolling stock progress would be in order. Originally posted over a year ago I've dusted off a few of these little fellows and started to finish them off.

The picture shows what is becoming my 'South American' train (at least in my mind). The blue passenger car and the red boxcar both got a corrugated tin roof installed today. The passenger car also got a brakewheel and railing and some weights glued in. I plan to add some benches and seated passengers soon.

The little black gondola is bases on my recollection of a Japanese prototype. The blue diesel is an Aru Models kit I had a thread about here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21273 (Now finally with some paint!)

My HOn30 mini layout only has one bridge and it has a weight restriction, which is why the gondola is between the two diesels..

I'm really trying to finish off all my incomplete projects before I start something new. I'll try and keep y'all up to date!

Regards,
Cody

centercab
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  09:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody - Good looking stuff! HOn30 is a great scale/gauge. Since the N scale mechanisms are such good runners now-a-days, it makes it that much more fun.

-------------------------
Chuck

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  11:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings Folks,

So, I haven't updated this thread in ages, some new bits have been added and some have been scrapped. The blue four wheel coach and Parkside coaches on disconnects have been scrapped (scavanged for parts), but the little red boxcar from way back in 2008 is still with me, and has been finished and numbered 206. I've added a number of new four wheel gondolas based on the first one I built, and a few more of different styles. They're all built on N-scale Roco, Peco, Kato or Fleishman underframes.

The two brass cars were assembled from Aru Models kits I got from Mr. Kobayashi and represent Japanese prototypes, (I believe they ran on the Kubiki Railway). The bulkhead flatcar in the foreground is built over an MDC Overton passenger car underframe and works out to be about 18' long. I also have a few more frames to make into more of these (or something!).

I really like these small cars and they run pretty good. More to come!

-Cody

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  07:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, you are making serious progress. I really like the two cars on the right bottom row.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  09:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Cody. That bulkhead flat is a particular favorite.

Bruce

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  5:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very charming trains, Cody.

Brian Rasmussen
New Hire

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  8:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brian Rasmussen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool stuff Cody.
Bulkhead flat is great (conversion notes please)
Are the MDC trucks good rollers?
Any more kadee HOn3 trucks to HOn30 coversions?
Would like to see a tutorial

Brian

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  8:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Folks!

Brian,
My conversion is pretty much a bodge job, I just cut off the end platforms added side and end sills from scrap stripwood or styrene and added decking & detailing. I think the MDC trucks run okay but this car has Micro-Trains trucks, wheels and body mount couplers. The brake wheel, ratchet and stirrups are all Grandt Line. It ended up 18' long by 6' wide.

Here's a picture of the underside of another one I'm building:

I haven't converted another pair of Kadee trucks to HOn30 yet, but when I do I intend to make a step by step out of it.

-Cody

Edited by - acousticco on 12/10/2013 8:23:05 PM

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  8:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what you mean by converting Kadee trucks to HOn30.

Jeff S.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  9:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jschumaker

Not sure what you mean by converting Kadee trucks to HOn30.

Jeff S.

Converting their HOn3 trucks to HOn30. I did one pair using Micro-Trains N scale 36" wheelsets which worked out pretty good.

-Cody

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  10:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cody, great little collection!
HOn30 has become more feasible lately - because of the smooth as silk N scale equipment. Can't wait to see more!!

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: First Brass Paintjob Topic Next Topic: Rolling Stock for the SR&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000