Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  10:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Doug and John.
Bruce, John : I HAD to do it to convince my wife that after all there would be something even better after. She has never been fond of disposing of anything so you can imagine her state of mind when I told her that I was going to dismantle almost everything...
Bruce, I have located my turntables near the sides of the layout to be able to turn them by hand. To my opinion, it is the simplest and most reliable solution. Maybe I'll keep the mechanism for a turntable on another project (I have ideas of an On30 small pike some day...).

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  10:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

I had to shudder at the dismantling of such a beautiful layout, but I agree that the new one will be much better and look much better because you have a lot more experience now. I look forward to it, as well as the new on30 pike you may plan someday!

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  6:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An update about the Operation Phoenix. Two days of work have allowed me to remove almost all that has to be removed. (The large mill complex on the left of the current highline will stay here - and it's the only part that won't be removed).

First, a picture of a magic flying mountain.

The cliffs below the highline have been removed, as well as all the track on the lower level.

The supports for the right part of the highline have been carefully removed and this big module has been put on the benchwork.

The tipple and the water tank were built on smaller units and could be saved with only minor and easy to fix damages.

The other structures were unglued and will be stored until the new layout is ready for them.

Work almost done...

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  9:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome layout and congratulations on having the courage to recycle the project.

Your wife will be extremely happy with the results.

I have recycled a few layouts.

here is one of them

cheers mate and best wishes with the new journey. Look forward to having a french wine with you one day.

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_chamatiago_hon3.html

Oliver W. Jr.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  9:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Oliver W. Jr.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a pretty gutsy move. The original layout was very nice indeed, I'm sure the new one will be even better.

I laughed a little when I saw the "Operation Phoenix" title, it reminded me of the "Phoenix Program" . . . I hope you are able to "eliminate the undesirable elements."

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  10:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic

when you get a chance... could you post a few pics of your Laverite Mine as one piece

thanks

Edited by - Mario Rapinett on 01/29/2009 10:44:16 PM

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  10:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is great Frederic. Your layout is very inspiring and this move is encouraging to see. I look forward to seeing more pix

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  02:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, your saved fragments already look like beautiful dioramas... can't wait to see them in the new context!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  07:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

You have some wonderful plans to improve on a great layout. And work is well underway. Have you forecast a date for the beginning of operations with the new plan?

My eyes were drawn to the photo of of salvaged structures waiting to go into temporary storage. What a fabulous collection of excellent models! You are indeed very talented and the new layout should be a gem. Thank you for sharing your progress photos.

--Stu--

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  08:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
I was so impressed with the first layout, I can not wait to see how you improve on it!
Glad to see you were able to save so many excellent buildings.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  8:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all of you for the nice comments.
Mario, your recycling of the Chamatiago was masterfully done. It's not easy on "one-piece" layouts. Hat's off for this.
I'm also looking forward to share a good bottle of wine with you. If you come to Europe before we go to Australia, don't forget to let us know so that we can arrange a meeting.
I'll make a series of pictures of the Leaverite mine tomorrow or monday.
The removal of the old layout is now completely done. I'll post some pictures of it too. I hope to be able to start building the new layout as soon as possible.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  08:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic
I can only imagine the amount of courage and conviction needed to begin the dismantling of such a beautiful layout. It must have been a remarkably tough decision to make . Looking forward to the first photos of the new layout for all of us to enjoy.
Peter
BCT

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  09:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peterpools

Frederic
I can only imagine the amount of courage and conviction needed to begin the dismantling of such a beautiful layout. It must have been a remarkably tough decision to make . Looking forward to the first photos of the new layout for all of us to enjoy.
Peter
BCT

+1

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  1:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fred,
Tearing layouts apart is never fun, but putting them back together goes much faster than anticipated. After all, you have more experience now, know what you want this time and don't have to build all those structures and rolling stock kits this time.
I was looking your track plan over Fred. I really like it. Have you considered running a track into a tunnel to connect with the rest of the world...............or a room for staging?

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  6:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I have already mentionned in several other topics, I've been working on the rebuilding of the layout for a few weeks now. I've started with the very mountainous area just to the right of the Alexandria Mining Complex. Despite my first intention of building everything on modules, I decided to make an exception for this place since I think there would have been a lot of wood wasted. Here are two shots of the work.

The third shot shows the bridge that will span the big fall between the Alexandria mine and the Grand Central. I built it ten years ago using plans by Harry Brunk in his book published by Benchmark "Up Clear Creek on the narrow gauge".

The area described by the two shots above will require two more big bridges, plus a smaller one. I also plan to have one or two snow sheds. Plus a number of houses between the two tracks.

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000