Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  4:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, my friends.

Jerry, the lake will have to wait a little since I want to complete the background mountains, bridges and track before permanently having this sheet of plywood in front of me.
Chuck, the trees have this function in particular : create some sort of mystery.
Frank, I tries to stays as busy as possible.
Robert, yes, applying foliage lightly is one of the secrets, which I am far from mastering... But scissors are used for post-processing. I hope to improve myself on this part of scenery.

Just for the fun, two shots of a train crossing the chasm. I could have done them earlier, but I couldn't locate the roof of the switcher (it was hidden in one of my many drawers...).

And the start of the cardboard lattice. Quite modest yet.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  6:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred's latest jig : the "trestle tie locator".
As usual, machined from the most sophisticated materials as you can see.
Probably not precise up to the nanometer, but enough to position and glue the nearly 75 ties of the first of the two bridges, the building of which I am facing now...

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  08:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your doing some really impressive work on the layout,I'm interested to see how you wrap up this bridge area.

Frederic do you have a construction thread pre 2008 ?

Edited by - LynnB on 02/04/2016 08:40:16 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  02:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comment, Lynn.
Sorry but I have almost nothing to publish for the pre-2008 period, with a number of years when progress was very limited on the layout.
I started it in 2000 - autumn 1999 in fact, for the benchwork - and it progressed rather steadily until 2002 and the birth of my twin children, if you see what I mean...
Then, on a 2-year period, I built the scene of the Alexandria mining company which I am developing now. And between 2004 and 2008, maths replaced modelling...

Here is the only shot I could locate showing the building of the big mill.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  11:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, I do know what you mean. I most times find it just if not more interesting watching a scene evolve than just viewing a spectacular near completed scene. Can recall back in the 80's when photo taking cell phones were not available yet and only had the roll film cameras, bringing back to life a harley and couple british bikes one of which I one first place , and no pics.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  7:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of construction, here are a few shots of the making of the new chasm and mountain. Lots of cardboard and white glue, a bit of patience. The pictures show the result of three work sessions. It's interesting to think of the way one will shape this mountains.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  11:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good. I'm going through the card board strip step myself .

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  1:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an interesting part of the hobby. Less easy than one could think at first sight, especially when you have to deal with very vertical - almost overhanging - cliffs.

Anyway, the cardboard operation is going on and things are starting to take shape above the lake, and in the twin bridges area (twin but dizygotic )...

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  11:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Frederic. Ill be following this for tips on do this part of the scenery.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2016 :  08:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Frederic, are your twin bridges members of a fraternal order? Regardless, it's neat to see the underlying geologic formations beneath your mountain :)

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2016 :  09:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Good to see you working on the Railroad again. You have some challenging areas, not sure I would know how to tackle them. I have one on the main part of the RR, that is a curved Trestle, and today there is temporary Flex track and homabed there. I am not sure how to move on it, so it sits. I am watching your process, including the building of the rock walls. The area I have is the first thing you see its gotta look reasonable.

Les

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  2:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, my friends.

Happy if it can help, Jerry and Les. If you're interested in specific pics, ask and I'll try to answer. Les, as you can see on some of the previous pics, some of my cliffs are nearly vertical, and it's not a very tough job. You just have to hold the mold in place a little longer when you cast the rock. Plaster is a fast setting product, it doesn't require a lot of time.

Bill, being myself a father of twins, I must have some inclination towards twin bridges...

Some slow progress these past days : the end of the cardboard substructure, followed by the glueing of paper sheets (we receive tons of adds in the mailbox, here is one of the rare occasions when they happen to be useful), and a spackling step before applying a first coat of paint. You may wonder why the cardboard seems to stop in the empty. It's because I don't want to install yet the fascia board since I'll have some trackwork to do on the right part, which will be an easier job without this board interfering. In all rationality, I should have done it first but first I wished to see how the mountain would look, and second it seemed reasonable to add this part of the track after the bridges, which should be installed after the rear mountains.

Here are a few shots of my past four days work.

Cardboard hardshell complete.

Adding adds sheets.

And after a bit of spackling.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  5:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great use of junk mail, Frederic. It's interesting to watch your scene take shape.

Do you have notes on the colors you used on the adjoining scenery, so you can get a good match?

George

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  5:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the idea you can read the ads while plastering!!

Twin bridges what's the third track for??

Now all I have to do is start mine!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  5:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not a third track, Jerry, simply the stringers for one of the bridges that are waiting to go to their final location.
George, no I have no notes, but there are not lots of colors so I think I can match what I already have.

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.4 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000