Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  7:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic
You are absolutely correct. I read those same thoughts in one of the narrow gauge magazines.
Peter

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  7:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic...I've finally gotten through your postings on your Sn3 modeling.....it really is quite inspirational. You are doing a wonderful job and your scenery is as stunning as your modeling. Your work in On30 has gotten me to complete several models. Please continue to post more of this Sn3 layout.....looking forward to a lot more....tom

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
I was just paging back through the thread to the beginning. The incredible depth you captured in Photos 1, 3, 5, and in the "through-the-bridge" shot is fabulous. I only hope to do as well eventually. Thank you for sharing what you have of your effort!

--Stu--

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  7:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I promised a plan of the modified layout, and here is one.

The mountain room is on the left. The current highline occupies the left wall, and will be modified to look like this plan. Only the Alexandria complex won't move, although the track leading to it could be changed a little since the curve seems a bit tight for the PBL C-18. Currently the Bush & Bernie mine occupies the space that will be devoted to the stamp mill.

As you can see, the other room will feature more kit built structures. The main scratchbuilt ones will be (at least if I don't change my mind before) a Blue Sky mainly inspired by Brett Gallant's kit, the stock pen, an engine house which I envision as a very detailed model - a la Chuck Doan -, a few structures behind the depot (maybe a S scale garage...) and the steam loco facilities. One of these already exists, it's the Chama sandhouse (a shortened version).

The other one was started many years ago and is not far from completion. It's the Chama coaling tower.

By the way, Kenneth Ehlers's great prize winning diorama featuring these two landmarks was depicted in the first gazette I ever bought (in 1991) and I think that seeing this chef d'oeuvre contributed to my decision (a few years later), to model american narrow gauge railroads.

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  8:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic, I noticed that both your turntables are linked into run arounds.....I can't say I'm an expert in all things narrow guage, but I don't think that track arrangement was "typical"...rather the tt was "off in the weeds" and was more typically a one track in and out affair....(I'm not being critical at all, just thought it a bit odd).....tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  10:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the track plan in that it is point to point with room for a lot of scenery. I do agree with Tom though that a run around track that ends at the TT seems unusual. Great modeling as well Frederic!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/15/2008 10:45:55 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  11:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

That looks like a great plan to show off both your great models and your terrific scenery.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  04:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic
Terrific plan for point to point narrow gauge model railroading. I sure do envy you with room for a mini empire.
Peter

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  07:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that's a track plan! The turntable with the run around makes perfect sense. This railroad is running good sized motive power and, like the D&RGW or C&S, will have double-headed freights coming in over the 'high-country' rails. The run-around is needed to turn two locos. The locally assigned engines can reside in the engine houses, while the run around can serve as a 'ready track'. I like it, Frederic!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  7:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all of you for the comments about the track plan.
About the run around and the turntables, I would say that, in the tradition of many small companies, we use every bit of space, especially when space is tight. It seemed, when I drew the thing, that this kind of track plan would provide a better use of space.
The mountain facilities will be on top of a cliff, with some great - I hope - vertical vistas, while the town facilities will probably be in the woods (Maine style, I seem to remember that Rick had posted a very nice photo of a turntable in the middle of many trees last year when he was at the NNGC convention in Portland, ME). Now, honestly, this last feature is certainly not very realistic since the railroad, with its relatively big engines, would certainly have a tidy place to park them, but I just happen to love this kind of look, so except if I find a more realistic setting that preserves the "romance", I think I'll be happy with the unrealistic one.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
I love the trackplan, and the shots show some great vertical seperation. It the plan drawn to scale? What I'm trying to do is figure out the footprint of the stamp mill, so I was wondering if the grid is valid for some measurement. (I may have missed something in a past post.)

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  4:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, the problem mentioned by others as regards the turntable forming part of the runaround (passing) track is similar to something I once ran into on a layout. I planned to build the layout in phases. In a significant location, one runaround turnout was about 1 1/2 engine lengths from a trestle. The trestle was to be built during the next phase of construction. I had figured on being able to do some good switching after completing the first layout phase. IT DID NOT WORK OUT because there was no room for more than one short car plus the loco in that tail track. The other end was fine, but operation was very dull. I got sick of the layout and did not run it. My missing trestle presented the same tail track situation your turntable plan does now.

Might I suggest an easy experiment? Try laying a passing siding on a board with the same length tail track as you will have when you install your turntable. Maybe lay a extra spur or two using ready-made turnouts. Take some of your freight cars and try some switching moves. If it works for you, wonderful! If not, you will have avoided a difficult problem. I hope all that was written clearly enough to be understood ...

One other helpful solution might be to add a crossover near the leader line on your drawing which connects the words "Bush and Bernie" with the site location on your layout plan. That crossover would offer many improved operational possibilities.

This is all just a matter of thinking out loud ... the important thing is that you build a layout that YOU enjoy! Good luck with your ongoing project!

--Stu--

--Stu--

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  6:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been thinking to the various remarks about the track plan.
I think there's no reason to modify the plan of the turntable and adjacent track in the engine terminal in the right room (the town room). This place is to be used by locos only.
I have modified the layout of buildings in the left part of the town room. By suppressing the stock pen (an request from the nearby blacksmith shop crew), I managed to install Blue Sky and an industrial building. The other buildings have been shifted to make space, and two of them have been rotated (the road will have a 90 turn there, just before the depot). The space freed by the moving of Blue Sky and the light industry will be occupied by a coal transfer facility still to be designed (I've got a lots of interesting models from the British Columbia archives). I've also worked (using the same source) on the design of the coal mine in the other room (between Vance Junction and Alexandria). I'll try to make a 3D drawing of the project to show you.

I've finally changed the location of the other turntable and added a "standard" run-around near the Bush & Bernie mine. The turntable will be located just on top of a high cliff and this should be a quite spectacular vista, with more room for drama than the initial location. Thanks for helping my grey cells to work.

Kris, the previsionnal size of the stamp mill is 8" x 16". It's relatively narrow, but remember that I wish to model a 10 stamp mill, in a way very close to John Hitzeman's great model featured in the may/june 1983 gazette. His mill was named Little Helen, and mine will be Little Ann (since Anne is the daughter of Bush & Bernie, my SIL and BIL...). The size of additionnal building, on the left, will depend on the amount of machinery I will install inside. It should be another 8" wide by 6" deep.

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  10:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Your track plan (as revised) looks excellent! It should have a great deal of operational opportunities to offer. Best of luck with it.

--Stu--

--Stu--

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  08:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frederick,
I really like your trackplan. It is easy to understand and it looks like you will have a good balance between operation and aesthetics. The track to scenery ratio seems very good. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000