Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  05:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking Snow-Plow Frederic. Or am I not supposed to mention it.

And a belated well done on passing 18,000 posts, and breaking the Forum.
It shouldn't only be those Hollywood airheads that break the Internet.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  09:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Snow plow! No way it looks like a vacuum car to me. Cows and piggies on the track, no problem suck ‘em up in one end - hamburgers and sausage out the other.

Nothing like a Summer BBQ.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/27/2015 09:53:15 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  5:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea, Frank. Reminds me of Hergé's "Tim in America" where there was such a factory, except they produced corned-beef...
So I'll post soon some pics of the progress on the sides and front, but I have been working recently on the blade housing. Lots of sketchup work to get the right compound form (which is far from completion, by the way, but the pictures below will give an idea).

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  06:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still lurking.....;-)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  07:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

Still lurking.....;-)

That makes two of us Bill!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  2:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the interest my friends.
Again, I am in full math mode...
I'll try to find some time to make a bit of modelling.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  5:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STILL LURKING......WAITING....;-)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  6:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

STILL LURKING......WAITING....;-)

That makes two of us Bill!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  12:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is "Math Mode" over yet???

Where still lurking and waiting??

Jerry

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  12:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for not answering earlier.
Math mode has been replaced by Full math mode recently. Current manuscript is about 1150 pages... And far from being finished...

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  08:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, I'm sure that in the 37 pages of posts in this thread, someone has mentioned that there really is a Lake Itasca. It's not in Colorado, in fact it's about a 1,000 miles from the nearest mountains! It is however 14 miles from where I live, in Central Minnesota at about 1,400 feet above sea level and is the true headwaters of the Mississippi River! There were some logging Railroad Lines in the area, in particular the Red River Lumber Company operated here before heading out to California, to log the big trees. The loggers of the Red River Lumber Company while here in Minnesota popularized an oral tall tale about a large Lumber Jack named Paul Bunyan and his pet: Babe the Blue Ox.

I love your layout!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  08:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comment, Mark.
It is indeed this very Lake Itasca that gave its name to the layout in spite of the unmatching locations...
While the word 'Itasca' could sound like an native American name, it was in fact derived from latin : one of the members of the expedition that discovered the headwaters of the Mississippi river was a priest. He called the lake 'VerITAS CAput', the true head.

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  06:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, are you from the Lake Itasca area of Minnesota, then? If not, how did you come to chose Lake Itasca. If this is discussed in this thread somewhare, you could just steer me to where and I will read it there.

Thanks!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  07:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not think that subject has ever been mentioned before in this topic.
I'm not from Minnesota, I was born in Avignon (France), the other city in the world that hosted popes (during the 14th century). Here is a wikipedia image of the 'palace of popes' which is one of the major touristic features of Avignon.

Quite different from the Lake Itasca and the head of the Mississippi river (wikipedia again...)

In fact, I've always been a lover of rivers (not too surprising if my other current modelling project is based upon a fictional place located near the Amazon river...). This is a rather intellectual fascination however, a bit difficult to explain but certainly tied to the idea of travelling. And I think you'll agree that for a river lover, Mississippi is among the best choices : great name full of meaning, mysterious source only found rather lately (here in Europe the headwaters of all main rivers has been known for many centuries), huge amount of water, great ships, great music, great novels... Here are a number of reasons for choosing its source as the main name of my railroad project.

By the way, Avignon, my birth place, is also bordered by a French river, the Rhone, and features a famous bridge, also a big touristic attraction and the subject of a tune known by almost all French people : "Sur le pont d'Avignon", see there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sur_le_Pont_d%27Avignon

The "Pont d'Avignon", also known as the "Pont Saint-Benezet", after a legend saying a shepherd named Benezet was told by God he had to build a bridge in Avignon.

(image found at http://www.panoramio.com/photo/24079647 )

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  11:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Humm, the shepherd was a man ahead of his time. Judging by the tower at the shore line it was a “toll bridge”.

Since only a portion of the bridge is still standing, I assume it was either too low for modern water traffic or it was blown during WWII.

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000