Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 171 ]  [ Total: 171 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  10:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Frederic. I like the way the windows are propped open with sticks.

George

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  12:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic....I am glad to see you back....
like Larry said, it's worth the wait.....
Very nice work on the greenery!~ Of course, the structure as well!!!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  3:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good indeed. Nice to see ou back at the workbench.

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  6:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you my friends for the interest.

My French friends asked me to show them how I made the thick scenery using polyfiber, so I shot a few pictures. I thought some of you might be interested in them.

The area to scenic is the raw, almost vertical, brown part near the center and the left of the picture.

The (not yet glued) polyfiber.

The sceniced area is covered with a coat of undiluted white glue.

The polyfiber is pressed into this bed of glue. I try to keep it as airy as possible.

Then, the future bush is covered with the usual mix white glue + water + dishwasher (in a very diluted mix, about 2/3 water and 1/3 glue).

The first coat of Woodland Scenics cover.

On such a vertical area, it can be useful to use hair spray to add a second coat of glue before adding more green.

Time to let everything dry and wait until tomorrow to see if some places have to be improved. A view from the other side of the bridge :

The whole thing probably didn't take more than 10 minutes, shooting of the photos included.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  9:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good but I'm not thar keen on the polyfiber stuff, there are better ways even for the french friends..

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  09:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

Hope your loggers are not afraid of heights. [:D}

The kitchen building scene is starting to look awesome as does the snow shed. I really like your attention to detail, I'm learning a lot. Also thanks for the tutorial on the ground cover, I never thought of using polyfiber in that way.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  7:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, which better way are you thinking of?

I've spent a little time working on shrubs to add some verticality to the scenery. I've tried to remember the nice explanations Martin gave me when I visited him last fall, but I must say I've finally made a mess of my own, which I'm sure I should be able to improve with a bit of practice. The trunks were made out of thymus held with hot glue (the two last shots show this). I first tried to use six millimiter fibers and WS turf, but the result didn't please me, so I chose an easy solution and after removing most of the first covering, I stretched some Silflor foliage, very sparingly covered with turf.

The first two shrubs.

The making of the trunks. I'll use another method to hold them since the hot glue is not so easy to remove from the laminated plank. I think n,ow that with this very small experience, I understand better a number of things I've seen recently on Martin's threads.

Hot glue dries fast, but not instantaneously...

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  04:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great you're back modeling Frederic! I have checked your thread from time to time and I was happy to see you back on track. The scenery looks very good. Thank you for the tutorial on the fiber, it gives as you says a really good depth feeling.

Håkan

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  06:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Low bushes looking good Frederic ! Got some silflor / mininatur stuff here to but I still can't get used to it. Use some of the wooly stuff cut into 12-15 mm lenghts at first before you start on the 6mm fibers and see where you're goin then..
What I've been thinking about is, but I'm not shure if you took some of the lightgreen medium gardenpond fibers, is to spraypaint them black or brown and use them instead of the WS stuff. But it's a personal thing, that I like to go dark on the basic branchstructure also in the weeds.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  8:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Håkan.
Thanks for the hints, Martin. I will eventually tackle the wooly fibers to compare the results.

Tonight I completed and glued the four shrubs I had started yesterday, using the Silflor foliage.

I quickly found a high-tech painting cabin to apply the hair spray without glueing everything in the neighbourhood.

Two of the four shrubs.

A third one (the left one). Simply using the foliage gives a more airy look.

One comment : I had used the Silflor foliage on the big trees of the "Sleepy time down south" diorama and had found it easy to use on this type of branch structure; with lots of horizontal space and many branches and twigs to hold the foliage mesh. It's really not as easy on the tniy thymus twigs with almost no room to slip the foliage. It's really high time to shift to Nederlands methods...

Three pics of the site, just for the fun (the last one has a trick, there's still nothing below the track in the right down corner).

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  9:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the high tech spray booth! Where did you order it from?

The picture through the snow shed is very nice!

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Edited by - BigLars on 07/30/2012 9:04:32 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  9:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome as always Frederic!

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  12:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondeful views developing! SO good to see you in the modeling mode again Frédéric!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  01:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Second Troels on this !

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  06:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's definitely great to see Frederic posting regularly. Brightens my day!

Don

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000