Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  08:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  8:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments my friends. As one could expect, I've not been able to complete the building in the two months of the challenge...
Bruce, yes the frames were also built using a jig. It made everything rather easy and quite precise.
Doug, Mike was very helpful when I mentionned a while ago my interest for the building of this model on the Westlake forum, by providing the necessary measures that made guessing unnecessary.
I've been able to complete the base for the scenery. I first made and installed some supports for the stairs that will allow the workers to enter the dining house (they are foreground in the first shot).
Then I installed the scenery basis. A rather long job with lots of paper cutting to wrap the wooden posts. Not difficult but a bit long... The two last shots show two steps of the process, after completing the heavy cardboard web, then after completing the lighter fitting of small sheets of newspapers.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  9:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice & tight! Jigs are best when you have this
many supports. Good color and engineering Frederic!!!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  10:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice precise work Frederic!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  6:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the very nice comments, my friends. The first time I did this kind of scenery fitting around the bents of a trestle, I felt a bit intimidated, but I like this technique even if it takes some time.
The kitchen will be on a bigger diorama to be inserted on the layout just to the left of the Allison mine. I had first thought that just near the kitchen would be the bunkhouse for the miners but space is tight and it would have prevented me from adding the big vertical scenery that I like. So the miners will sleep a little away, and yet be able to watch the beautiful mountain landscape from the superelevated dining house.
With no other posts to fit into the landscape, I could create the relief for the remainder of the diorama. It is essentially the same technique, except that the cardboard is thicker.
The picture taken from the rear of the diorama shows the little space between the plywood piece that defines the top of the mountain and the back of the diorama, that helps glueing the pieces of cardboard, but also have scenery a little 'behind' the horizon.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  01:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you in gear Frédéric!! Can't wait to see how the new diorama will look!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  08:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The framing looks great Frederic, they look even more impressive with the sloping scenery base.

On a personal note, I had to smile when I say the french newspapers as the scenery base, reminded my of my time growing up in Montreal, Quebec where I delivered newspapers as a boy.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  10:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps those will be French mountains, ala the Pyrenees or the Alps.
A very nice start Frederic and I still like this old way for doing plaster work.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  6:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Perhaps those will be French mountains, ala the Pyrenees or the Alps.

You're damn' right Dave : how could they not be French, with rocks cast out of Plaster of Paris?
BTW, I'm glad to read you again, Dave.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  8:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks promising !!

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  07:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looking good frederic. :)

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  08:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to see a new mountain in the making

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  6:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to make progress in three directions today.

First, the snowshed had been waiting for a roof for several months. It now has one, but I suspect it requires still a little more planking on the outside posts.
Second, I cut the timbers to make the bents that will support the ends of the bridge over the waterfall near the Alexandria mine, and also started the jigs needed for their assembly.
Third, I cast the big rock that will dominate the kitchen. I should be able to start some painting and scenery soon.
Photos to be posted later.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  8:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lurking......

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  12:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eagerly waiting ;-)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000