Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  01:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an absolute joy to see your fine work slowly conquering new territory! A very photogenic scene!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  2:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Can you help me with the method you used the scenery material used on the last page with cabin. The green material in your pics...

That is along the rocks, (left side)it looks like material used for trees, but you and Troels use it for ground material, is this the Noch or Silfor stuff that comes in a matt and you tear it out?

Les

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  3:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Frederic, I just caught on to this thread. Beautiful work. I love the waterfall....

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  6:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see what you mean about the water -your falls is very believable - that is quite a drop - did you consider a couple of small pools to collect and break up the length at all?

Elliott

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  7:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you for the interest and kind comments.

Bruce, if you love shots 'through' the snow shed, you'll be happy with the - still incomplete - scenes below.

Larry, keep in mind this snow shed follows no particular prototype, and is simply of mix of features of snow sheds found here on the forum, plus the constraints of the particular place where it is located.

Tom, it's just a pity that this work will eventually be hidden by the snow shed...

You're welcome, Martin. I think I'll have other opportunities to describe the making of these trees since I will quickly exhaust those I already have.

Randy, I suppose I should have some rocks and debris scattered over the roof of the shed.

You're right, Troels, this is a slow conquest. I think I started to work on the mining complex in 2004...

Les, the fluffy green material is indeed Silflor stuff coming in a matt and torn out into small pieces that are easy to glue even on rather steep slopes. I wouldn't say this variety is aimed at covering trees though. But I also used tree foliage on this scene, to make a transition between the retaining wall near the snow shed and the cliff behind it. I have no Grassinator so the fluffy green is simply shaped with fingers.

John and Elliott, indeed the waterfall looks quite convincing on pictures but lacks movement, noise, wetness (?) in real life... Elliott, I love the little ponds on Geoff Nott's logging scenes for instance, but I don't think they would be very logical on such a vertical slope. I have projects for a very heavily forested area in the second room (rather than my initial city project that I now find a bit boring and unwild), and there may be room for this kind of pools.

Some progress on the snow shed. The frame is essentially done, and I started to cover it. The remainder of the roof will only be added when the structure is glued and integrated (to help see what I do in particular). I started it mainly to provide some structural rigidity to that assembly of sticks...

Two shots for Bruce...

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  8:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frederic
Thanks I thought so, I also guess you sprinkle stuff on top too. The snow shed is most cool, imagine having a camera on train car going thru that with all the detail...knock there socks off.

Les

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  08:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve been watching the progress on your beautiful layout. Everything fits together very realistically. I like that shot inside the snow shed.

George

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  07:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les and I are on the same page. I though the same thing (video camera) when you talked about, not being able to see all the detail and work on the inside.

Looks good Frederic.

Randy May
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  7:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic
That thru shot is very realistic,
you sure wouldn't know its a model,
well done!
all you need now is a bunch of swallows flying around and thru it,
with a bunch of there mud nests up in the ceiling corners,
Randy

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  8:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic, thanks for taking the time to post your developments. You are a master modeller and it is a joy to see every new image. The realism is incredible. It would be a joy to operate your layout someday!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  8:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les, yes more stuff is added above the matt to add thickness and color.
Les and Jim, I've seen some impressive trips through miniature worlds using these mini cams. Maybe someday...
Thanks, George, there's another one below (not exactly through but a partial one at least).
Randy, the birds idea is nice, I'll have to think of this.
Mike, I hope the layout will operate the way it looks...

The snowshed is nearing completion. Installed, ballasted (with a teaspoon), there only remains a bunch of planks to glue and whiten.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  01:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect! A really important addition providing depth, drama and yet more viewing angles.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  06:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Troels. Completing the structure will allow me to finish the scenery of this area and take wider shoots without having to crop all the undone parts...

A shot of the sanding jig for the angled beams. The shape has been drawn on cardboard backed heavy paper. One of the sides of the beam is first shaped using the right side of the jig. Then the jig is turned and held as shown on the picture and the other side of the beam is pushed against the sander with the piece of masonite visible on the left, while it is maintained pushed against the jig with the other hand (when it's not holding a camera...). When the masonite reaches the side of the jig, the beam has the right shape and length.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  11:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very nice. I always enjoy the updates to this very high-quality layout.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  11:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Thanks for the pics and example of the fixture/jig. I have something similar made out of plexiglass, just because I have it. Nice work work...

Les

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000