Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  09:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice little building Frederic. I see you have a great place for the birds to build a nest. I know, because I have a hole like that in my barn. The cliff came out really nice. One of these days, I need to bit the bullet and do mine on the CR&T.

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  11:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The building is coming along great Frederic.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  5:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you my friends.

My French friends suggested that a ladder was a somewhat rudimentary method to enter the house.
Maybe I'll add a few planks to suggest a stair could be installed soon. Maybe...

I've done some work on the roof. Two parts of cardboard connected using a smaller piece of pre-bent bristol to make the adjustment easier. On the lower part, partial canson planking xas added. I've also added a small base extension for the water tank.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  6:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cabin is essentially done, except the small porch above the door. I still have to cut and assemble the frame for the water tank, the planks that cover it and the pipe between the gutter and it. And clearly to scenic the extension. When all this is done, I'll attach permanently the diorama basis to the layout, will do the scenery between it and the already finished mining area just above the cabin, and when all this is done, I'll finally glue the house to the base.

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  7:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great character in such a simple little building. I love the "sustainability" of the cabin by capturing the rainwater in the cistern. I also like how you create a scenic base that then gets incorporated into the layout. Always a pleasure to see your work. Scott

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  10:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Great cabin, wouldnt it be cool to see several of these in a row with lots of YOUR detail. Really nice work and attention to the finish.

Les

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  12:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great model Frederic!
Plenty of character....I go with Les...
clone a couple more for maybe a row of
miners shacks? Nice.....

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  01:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of character in a small space. Very fine modeling!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  01:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Great job. You have really demonstrated how versatile paper can be. This isn't my father's paper model. You've open a large door for us with this model.

Thank you

It's only make-believe

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  5:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic....got caught up on your work and WOW! what a nice mining scene...really borders on "perfect". I'm sure you'll find a sound effect for a rushing waterfall that you can install along with the sounds of a stamp mill. Check out Miller Models, they have a ton of sound chips and are reasonably prices. ( I have their sawmill sound installed) I like the "bridge tender's cabin"...this "paper" thing is getting pretty serious with Troels and now you and others....I plan on subcribing to your thread....just too much good modeling going on to chance missing anything!....sully

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  6:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks, my friends, for your kind and interesting comments.

Scott, I have been doing most of the main projects of the first version of the layout this way : a plywood or cardboard base for a small diorama easier to detail and scenic at the workbench and then easily incorporated into the layout.

Les and Bill, I had planned to have a simple natural landscape near the cabin, with trees and rocks (and the snowshed of the track at the background upper level). Your row suggestion is interesting though, and I think I have one or two places for this near the Chambers Coaling Complex.

Thanks Troels, you're one of those who convinced me to try paper as a finishing material and I'm glad I did.

Bob, in the past recent weeks, I've used paper to model a metal tank, a ship planking, a house, plus several miscellaneous details. It is indeed a very versatile material and I really hope more will enjoy it.

Tom, I'll see how I can have sound near the main elements of the layout. The relatively small size of the room may be a problem, though, to avoid having all sounds coming together. Thanks for the hint about Miller Models.

The project is nearing completion now. I have made the supporting frame for the water tank and attached it to the little basis extension.

Then I put the basis in its future location on the layout and started to scenic around it to integrate it. A lot of leftover small plaster 'boulders' were used to get everything on a reasonably uniform level. While the work is still unfinished, the pictures give an idea of how the scene should finally look.

Still more work to get the surrounding area sceniced and allow the shooting of pictures without black holes in the middle of the landscape...

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 02/07/2011 6:20:29 PM

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  6:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Frederic you're moving fast, this watertank is a great addition...

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  6:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederick,

Very nice scene ....

Tom M.

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  05:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very fine piece of work, Frederick.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  06:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The water tank is a great addition Frederic.

That last picture is a really nice one. I wouldnt mind staying in that cabin with the view it has. Plus you get the sound of the waterfall while sleeping.

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000