Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 41 ]  [ Total: 42 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  6:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like how this is coming together. I look forward to more!

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  1:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been busy these past weeks on the layout scenery, working on two distinct area, the narrow shelf at the end of the layout featuring a logging scene, and the big mining complex called Alexandria Mining Co.
The pics show the current state of the work and a few intermediate steps.
The method is quite classical : a lattice of white glued cardboard, covered by plaster sheets or newspaper strips (here it's plaster sheets) then rock castings using custom made moulds and acrylic paint.
Two of the mining pictures also show the cardboard jig used for the big bridge and the bridge itself (without its bents).

Mining area

Logging area

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  2:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the look of that! The river running down the mountain will look great

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  2:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Spectacular, this is a great effort and its really coming together. I understand the dedication to the vision of the RR. Bridge work will be great focal point too, and when the engines change sound going over its even better.

So let me ask this, I have a big curved trestle (to make) do I plan and build all the bents and track work, then do the scenery work around and up to it, mine will be wood, there will be alot of rock wall behind it which I will rough in, and cast up. I plan on putting pads or landing spots for each of the bents so the RR test runs will have a solid place to run.

Les

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  3:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Frederic, that I missed this thread, shame on me, another fine build to follow...

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  3:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, good to see you back at the layout.
Stunning scenery.

I was studying the last picture and was wondering why that retaining wall is built so high to require the ties to be the way they are?
I'm sure it was done this way in 1:1 and just being curious.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  6:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments.

Les, here is the planned sequence for the scenery around the bridge : first the scenery of the part beyond the bridge, then the bents, then the scenery around the bridge and before it.
For the back scenery, I'll first add the vegetation, trunks and so on, then I'll make the rapids. These steps require a lot of handling and in my opinion will be easier without the bents and the bridge interfering.
I have installed small pieces of masonite (smooth side on the top) to provide a neat support for the bents.

Rick, I think I once saw a model bridge done this way and it pleased me, so it has become my standard. By no means does this imply this is a realistic standard. But you see, when you've ballasted the track, the wall won't look so high (in fact it is flush with the top of the ties). That being said, your observation looks right, and I may change my 'standard' for the two big bridges that are next on the list.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  6:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful scenes Frederic,, well done!

Cheers!, Joe

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  6:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic. I logged on today, to say your scenery is awesome. Also my reaction to your model bridge / ties was the same as Rick's. I try not to make any suggestions to other people's work, unless asked. As it turned out you have answered the question.

Good to see this "work in prgress" layout back on the forum

cheers mate

"M"

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_frederic_testard.html

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  9:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freaking awesome Frederic!

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  01:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The development and augmentation of that already wonderful scene looks extremely promising... Nice to see your own layout finally receiving it's deserved attention!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  02:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, thanks for the explanation.
Please understand my question wasn't a criticism.
I was only trying to learn why the prototype was built this way and I was certain your bridge was an accurate of such a prototype bridge.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  4:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no problem with your question, Rick.
Now that things are glued, it would be difficult to modify the bridge, but I'll keep this in mind on other ones.
I think I remember now where I found ties looking like mine. It was in one of Harry Brunk's articles about his HOn3 layout depicted in the Gazette series : "Up Clear Crek on the narrow Gauge".
Troels, thanks for the kind comment. If I only had 1:1 scale work and modelling projects to work at, everything would go much faster. But children take a lot of time...

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 10/20/2010 4:49:51 PM

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  10:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Frederic -

You are creating a really beautiful scene!

Don

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  05:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's some great progress Frederic, love the fourth pic, it really gives you the feeling of being there. Lokking forward to some more pictures.

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000