Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Branch
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Branch
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic
Page: of 14

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  3:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard
Let me add my voice to KP's suggestion, Russ. With rust on wheels and trucks, it's gonna be a perfect model.

The wheels on the left truck are rusted already...the ones on the right truck need to be. I also 'rusted' the car's inside corner iron brackets and have some more things to do. The big deal is to get the data decals so that I can flat coat it and dust it all down.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  9:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
I just ordered decals from PBL, so the car data problem will be solved. Here's a close up of the 'B' end of the car. This is why I like Sn3!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  03:37:17 AM  Show Profile
Very nice detailing on the B end, Russ. Yes, it's a scale where almost every detail can be modelled.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  09:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Excellent modeling, Russ, and a great paint job! I really like this.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  06:30:21 AM  Show Profile
For many reasons, my interest in Sn3 has been rekindled recently, and after building the section house at Vance Junction, I decided to start the making of a diorama featuring the various buildings on this quite unusually looking halt on the Rio Grande Southern. The three other on-line buildings are cars of various origins and shapes, and I had already built them (from Banta kits, too) a long time ago. Then, there's a fifth structure, still to be done and which I shall scratch, an 8-gate coal tipple the building of which will probably require some heart...
For the moment, there is nothing sceniced on the diorama, just plain wood and some planks. The pictures below show the arrangement of the four building : the old passenger car was the depot, the section house was the living place for people working there, then there's a boxcar used for baggage, and finally another boxcar that was used by the workers to store tools. The original RGS project to have a large depot a little further on the line (at Ilium) was cancelled when the "silver panic" of 1893 severely cut into the line revenue.

Next step : finish the roofs on the two boxcars so as to install them permanently and scenice the ground around them.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  09:45:21 AM  Show Profile
Frederick,

Looks like another wonderful diorama build. Your Section house is very nice work .... I look forward to watching the "coal tipple" build.

You Sn3 guys ... keep the pictures coming ..
great thread

Tom M.

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  09:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message
Frederick,

Instead of scratchbuilding the tipple (which would be a neat project) you could get the kit from Crystal River Products.

Diorama looks great so far -

Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  11:11:19 AM  Show Profile
Marty, I'm aware of the existence of this kit, but this kind of scratchbuild - I mean complicate models with angles everywhere - is among my favorites, so I think I'll stick on my first idea. Thanks for the suggestion and comment.
Marty, don't you have any Sn3 material you would be wishing to share with us on this thread?

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  3:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message
I do have some Sn3 stuff that I would be happy to share but I'm under strict orders from SWMBO that I must - have to - gotta - finish the N scale layout and the associated book for Kalmbach by the end of the summer. So, I'll be working in that scale, and, truth be told, spending lots of time typing, until that monkey is off my back.

Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  8:41:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CVSNE

I do have some Sn3 stuff that I would be happy to share but I'm under strict orders from SWMBO that I must - have to - gotta - finish the N scale layout and the associated book for Kalmbach by the end of the summer. So, I'll be working in that scale, and, truth be told, spending lots of time typing, until that monkey is off my back.

Marty

Marty,

I remember seeing something about you modeling the Chili Line after that great MR article (back in 94 I think?). Is that still what you're working on? I for one would love to see it.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  8:12:29 PM  Show Profile
As stated above, I have continued my work on Vance Junction diorama by roll roofing and painting the roofs of the two boxcars located to the right of the scene. The two shots below show how the boxcars looked before the detailing of the roofs and after it.

Additionnal pics can be seen there.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22139&whichpage=3

The next part of the work will be the addition of chimneys and the building of a timber foundation to hold the cars on this slopy siding.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  8:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Russ
The gon looks great. Well done.
Peter

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  8:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Frederic
Rekindled isn't the word for it. A prototype diorama is surely going to be something special. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Peter

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  8:54:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure most of you RGS junkies know this, but Mike Blazek has structure plans for Ophir (along with a whole lot of others) available. He also sells "Workbooks", of which there were 28 to my knowledge at last count, Volume 6 being Ophir. Last I knew, he could be reached at mikeblazek@comcast.net or by phone at (714) 979-0855. His plans and workbooks are outstanding!!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  04:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the hint, KP. It happens that volume 6 is in fact the only Blazek workbook I have. It's very nice and detailed even if you have to buy separately most of the plans available for Ophir. There is, in particular, a thorough description of all the houses in the area, with measures and function.

That being said, having seen so many Ophir loops on so many layouts has somewhat killed my desire to make myself a model of this site. (Plus the fact that it eats a lot of space with almost no operationnal possibilities). I still browse with pleasure the pages in the RGS story dedicated to this place, I even have kits for the depot and Mrs. Skillen's house (just above and behind the depot), but these fine buildings won't belong to any Ophir on my layout.

It's a bit different for Vance Junction. Such a place was so unlikely, it's so strange to think that for fifty years, even a totally improbable line as the RGS had its trains stopping there, in the middle of nothing, that the fascination remains. It will probably not be called Vance Junction, though, on my layout, and its function won't be the same (the junction will serve to store coal cars loaded at the neighbour mining complex and waiting to be sent to the main town of the area for shipping on ferries or cargoes).

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000