Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Branch
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Branch
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic
Page: of 14

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  7:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
My detail parts came in and I went right to work putting on the horn, bell, and one of the arm rests. The headlight is just sitting on the hood...I need to figure out wiring holes and how to seat the LED into the larger diameter headlight.

Russ

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  8:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Russ,
I just saw your Davenport project, very cool, now I need to follow along. I have an AMS ON30 version that could use some new details.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  5:22:19 PM  Show Profile
The detailed body looks very nice, Russ. Much more interesting, in my opinion, than the initial Colorado model.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  2:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard
The detailed body looks very nice, Russ. Much more interesting, in my opinion, than the initial Colorado model.

Thanks, Frederic...
My goal is to individualize the loco, but I'm also pouring over photos to see what other railroads did with these critters. Most of these retained some sort of small headlight, but since mine is a 'road switcher', I wanted the big headlight. In these shots you can see that I've added emergency tow chain, hooks, a tool box, the last stirrup, and a rerailer. Blasting and priming are up next!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  5:08:34 PM  Show Profile
It's really looking nice. What color will you paint it?

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  5:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
It's really looking nice. What color will you paint it?

Hey Frederic...I'm thinking black for the frame deck, yellow for the ends, frame edge, stirrups, and cab end wall. The rest of the cab, cab roof, and hood will be a medium grey. I think the radiator protector bars would look good in silver. Oh, of course, the cab window frames will be red.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  6:07:27 PM  Show Profile
So, you love masking tape, don't you...

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  7:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:

So, you love masking tape, don't you...

I'll paint the frame and cab separately, so that will take care of most of the difficulties. I have striping tape that I use and, combined with my trusty Iwata airbrush, it should come out OK.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  7:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Today was such a beautiful day...warm, just a tad breezy, low humidity...so I blasted and primed my loco outside. Priming not only provides an undercoating for the color coat, it also will expose areas that will have 'show-through' like glue gobs or sanding marks. I have an area around the rear headlight that needs to be leveled out, so I'll do that tomorrow and shoot it with primer again. I did a 'paint test' on the front of the frame to see how the yellow would look. I did this with a small brush force drying it as I went along with a hair dryer. I painted some of the details black and the tool box 'mineral brown' to make it stand out. If the paint looks good in the morning, I'll leave it and do the rest of the frame in black and yellow. The cab and hood will be in a medium gray.

Edited by - slimrails on 09/07/2010 7:18:21 PM

MAP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  09:34:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey Russ,
You've done a lot since I saw that little critter last Saturday. Looking GREAT! I can't believe how SLOW that switcher could creep down the track! Keep us posted on your progress. Thanks for the bread & cigars!

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  11:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MAP

Thanks for the bread & cigars!

Well, anyone who shows up with a Hoya de Monterey Excalibur No. 2 in a claro wrapper for me DESERVES gifts in return! Yeah, I did some more work on it...I'm going to blast the 'paint test' paint job off, re-prime, and do the whole thing with my airbrush. I have an Iwata Eclipse double-action airbrush with terrific control that will let me put the paint where I want it without having the paint make 90 degree turns onto other surfaces. Great for spot painting!

Edited by - slimrails on 09/08/2010 12:03:55 PM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  9:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
I did some sandblasting and painting today. I'm pretty fussy with the paint jobs on my models and try to give it the best I can. Here's a shot of the rear of the cab so far. The radiator front has to be blasted and painted again because Mr. Sherwin Williams here globbed paint all over the radiator screen trying to to intricate work with a brush.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  4:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Nice paint job, Russ. Let's wait until Mr. Sherwin Williams repairs his globby work for the front of the critter.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  7:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Nice paint job, Russ. Let's wait until Mr. Sherwin Williams repairs his globby work for the front of the critter.

Hey, Frederic...
I got rid of the gloppy front with my trusty ol' Paasche air eraser. I then resprayed it with the body color and painted in the grille bars with a spotter brush. I put the medium-sized Catskill & Ramapo 'target' herald on the cab, did some more touch-up, and have to put the stanchions and railings on the sides. I have the glazing material for it and the headlight is in 'the works'. I'm also going to add canvas awnings over the cab windows. If the weather is good tomorrow, I'll spray it all down with a light application of 'dull coat' clear. Finally, the DCC module and speaker will have to be installed when the front and rear lights are hooked up. Whew! Here's what it looks like so far...

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  09:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
This is the (almost) final paint and detailing job on the frame and body. I spent a good part of yesterday putting in the glazing, re-seating the stanchions, and making up handrails. I then hooked up the rear headlight to the decoder and have yet to get it either a) programmed correctly, b) wired correctly, or c) both a and b. I'm debating over what to do for a headlight. The one I got from Precision Scale doesn't look good with the LED mounted in clear silicone...an old modeler's trick that may have backfired on me. I have some brass tubing that I used for the reverse headlight; maybe I can come up with something. When brushing on the black paint for the handrail on the side in the photo, some of the bristles spattered black dots all over the hood, so that's why there's touch-up spots on it. I'll spray over that side this week sometime. I also trimmed down the adhesive build-up at the base of the handrail stanchions (I sweat over stuff like that ) and I'll get that touched-up, too. Sometimes projects like this take one step forward and then two steps back, ya know? Gettin' there, so stay tuned!

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000