Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Branch
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Branch
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic
Page: of 14

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  07:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Well done on the headlight, Russ. It's nicely shaped.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  08:44:07 AM  Show Profile
That's looking really good Russ. A big change from the original loco and a lot more 'standard' Davenport in appearance.

Good work

P.S. the link to the steam loco you posted is gorgeous! It's my new desktop background

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  2:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Thanks for your comments, Guys. I just got off the phone with Precision Scale ordering some detail parts for this beast. I'm going to get a bell, try out a headlight, get armrests for the engineer and fireman (they really need cots), chain hangers and chain to hang off the sides for 'emergency towing', chain hook links to fit on each side of the pilots, two small under frame tool boxes, and one free standing tool box to mount some place where it will always be in the way of the crew. Problem is that PSC will take some 2 weeks to get it to me. Oh, well. In the meantime, I'll reassemble the drive mechanism and hook up the DCC module to get that tested out. I also sent off an email to the guy who is/was/might be/ was supposed to do a set of custom decals for me. Getting there!

Russ

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  3:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Russ, you might look at adding a pole for those tricky switching moves.

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  3:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Russ, you might look at adding a pole for those tricky switching moves.

I was looking for one in the PSC Sn3 catalog, George, along with rerail frogs. Would you believe it? No gots! I could easily make one up, though....another great idea! Thanks!

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  3:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
quote:

You could use a little J-B Weld to fill in that place Russ.

Mike...I got the J-B Weld from Homer Despot and filled in that spot. Absolutely necessary part of my body 'n fender materials...Thanks for the tip!

Edited by - slimrails on 08/24/2010 3:49:17 PM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  8:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
I spent hours trying to figure out how to mount handrail stanchions (I only need two!) in such a way as not to have them break off accidentally while handling the loco. The stanchions are located midway between the stirrups and the cab, but each location happened to be directly over a small tank detail part making soldering from underneath out of the question. I tried the straight solder butt joint and that went quickly down in flames. My next brilliant idea was to notch out the bottom of each stanchion to form a pin to insert into a hole drilled into the deck and THEN solder it. Sorry, chief, still not enough support...they broke off, too. Then I thought, hey..if I expand the holes in the deck large enough, I could slip the flat stock down into the hole and fill in the rest of the hole on each side with solder! It worked. I was also able to get in close enough to get an almost 90 degree joint after filing off the excess solder with no danger of the joint cracking or coming loose.

Here's what the problem was and how I solved it with a basic ship-fitting approach:

Here's the almost final result (needs some more clean-up):

I put the motor and mechanism back in so that I can at least hook up the DCC module while I wait for more detail parts to come in. More to follow!

Russ

Edited by - slimrails on 08/29/2010 8:17:54 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  8:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Very clever.

George

MAP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  09:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Russ,
You're doing one Heck-uva great job on this switcher. Very creative ideas coming out during the mods. I may have to stop over this Saturday to get an up close look look at your work....and bring over a cigar or two!

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  1:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MAP

I may have to stop over this Saturday to get an up close look look at your work....and bring over a cigar or two!

Mark...

Let's do it! I'll have some scratch-built bread for you and Julia. Do you like rye & onion bread with caraway seeds? Lemmme know...I can always make fresh French bread, too....your choice! See ya Saturday!

Russ

MAP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  07:51:23 AM  Show Profile
"Scratch-built Frence bread"....Mmmmmmm!!! Sounds great! We also need to discuss plans for your expansion towards the turntable area....or have you started on that already?

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  3:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MAP

"Scratch-built Frence bread"....Mmmmmmm!!! Sounds great! We also need to discuss plans for your expansion towards the turntable area....or have you started on that already?

Hey, Mark...French bread it is then! I haven't started on the turntable section because I have a lot of work to do on the main. We'll plan it out when we get together, OK?

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  9:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
I've been running my Davenport across the layout and have found all of the regular track sections work. That's the good news. Now for the bad news. The frogs for the turnouts are dead because I never set up a way for them to switch polarity when the points move from one position to the other! Du'oh, ya mean the Tortoise machine doesn't do that auto-mat-ik-a-lee? The way to handle that is by installing an inexpensive relay designed to work with DDC and Tortoise motors to switch frog polarity:

http://www.proto87.com/switch-machine-turnout-controls.html

It's the frog powering kit for stall motors...I'll get 3 of 'em to start with and see how they work out. That should take care of the problem (I hope).

Russ

MAP
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  2:19:51 PM  Show Profile
Little by little you're working through all of the "fun" stuff. Keep up the great work.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  4:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MAP

Little by little you're working through all of the "fun" stuff. Keep up the great work.

Gonna help me with some of this 'fun' stuff? See you Saturday...I'll have the coffee on.

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000