Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Branch
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Branch
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic
Page: of 14

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  5:34:35 PM  Show Profile
I like the railing better than the pole - looks good.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  5:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Russ,

Both your railings and your steps are big improvements IMHO. Nice work.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  6:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Thanks, Guys...Here's a Davenport GM30 side-rod critter with the stirrup steps and side railings. Looks like some typical post-delivery 'modifications'. Units like these are where I get my ideas from and then fit them to my own locomotive's 'style' that I'm trying to define.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/mpcx8.jpg

Edited by - slimrails on 08/16/2010 6:17:04 PM

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  07:31:53 AM  Show Profile
That looks really good Russ. Nice to see an Sn3 model that isn't DRGW

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  07:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Nice work on the railing Russ, looks way better than the pole!

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  08:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

That looks really good Russ. Nice to see an Sn3 model that isn't DRGW

Hello, Neil...
Thanks for your kind words. Sn3 models other than the Colorado prototypes are very under represented by manufacturers. My railroad is centered in New York State and I want it to have my own 'look' as much as possible. I can't see the point in buying Colorado prototype models and then claiming they are in an Eastern US setting! Sn3 has suffered from lack of variety which has led to its own stagnation. I sent an email to the major brass Sn3 manufacturer asking if they had plans to do models other than D&RGW/SP. They responded that there was no interest. Of course there wasn't...they only survey their own customers and admirers on the Yahoo Sn3 board! If a major player like Bachmann began producing in Sn3 with generic models of interest, it would be a new ballgame. In the meantime, keep those scratch building tools and materials handy!

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  09:30:33 AM  Show Profile
I think you are right. Sn3 manufacturers rather shot themselves in the foot with the lack of variety and then On30 came along with more variety and at a lower price. There's no reason it shouldn't have been Sn3 instead but it didn't work out that way

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  10:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

I think you are right. Sn3 manufacturers rather shot themselves in the foot with the lack of variety and then On30 came along with more variety and at a lower price. There's no reason it shouldn't have been Sn3 instead but it didn't work out that way

S scale is strange. It has no appeal. If you say you model in S scale you might as well have two heads.

It only appeals to a certain group. A person is either an S scale person or not. There are no converts. I have had more enthusiasm for my Scale55 than anything I have posted about S scale.

Bachmann would have taken a bath with S narrow gauge on HO track.

S scale will die out with the boomers in the US and I have been a big proponent since the seventies. It has withered greatly.

Go figure
Harold

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  10:43:44 AM  Show Profile
I don't quite understand why S scale has such low appeal. It's more compact that O scale and allows more detailing than HO so it sounds like a winner on paper but it falls between two stools and isn't popular with O scalers who want more space or HO scalers who want more detail.

1:55 looks great because it is between O and HO and there is pseudo-HO and On30 equipment that you have demonstrated can be kitbashed into convincing 1:55 models but unfortunately S scale does not have that advantage. As Russ says, it all has to be built from scratch

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  12:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Harold (hminky) is the 1:55 champ with a skill for creating properly scaled models from existing production stock. I had to decide if I wanted to model a switching shelf layout in HO based on the Erie RR, a traction shelf layout in HO based on my own Hudson Electric, or Sn3 based on my own Catskill & Ramapo. When I decided on Sn3, it was because of the larger-then-HO but smaller-than-O scale rationale. I liked the scale for detailing and the fact that I could get about the same amount of action on a layout as with HO. I also knew of the limitations as well concerning lack of variety in the models, so I keep my xacto blades well sharpened. Because I'm building a small layout, there's enough structure kits, rolling stock, etc. out there for me, but motive power is always an issue when not modeling Colorado prototypes. The Davenport diesel that I'm working on is an affordable way to get a loco up and operating, but steam is going to be another story. I'll probably get one of the PFM Sn3 Colorado & Southern locos (#14) that doesn't have the air tanks mounted on the boiler. It would have to be changed a bit to 'de-Coloradoize' it, get it re-powered (another 200.00), and then paint and letter it for my C&R. This Overland model from Caboose Hobbies would also make a prime candidate for 'Easternizing':

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=157384&prod_image_ext=jpg

In the meantime, I'll be working on my Davenport!

Russ

Edited by - slimrails on 08/17/2010 12:10:05 PM

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  12:55:51 PM  Show Profile
Now yer cookin Russ!
I have a soft spot for bashing d-cells.....
this one looks great!!!

Edited by - Geezer on 08/17/2010 1:04:48 PM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  5:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
I put together the other side railing for the fireman's side of the switcher today. I also had the urge to take off the sun shades. They did add balance to the look of the cab, but without them they look more 'Davenport'. Arrrg! What to do! Well, I decided to take em' off and leave em' off. It creates more body 'n fender work for me, but I just added it to the list of filing, filling, and sanding that I have to do before priming. I think it makes the cab look more 'prototypical'. Ya think?

Russ

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  7:12:02 PM  Show Profile
Russ that Davenport picture you referenced at http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/mpcx8.jpg looks like it has a canvas sunshade folded up on top of the cab. You might try that.

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Russ that Davenport picture you referenced at http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/mpcx8.jpg looks like it has a canvas sunshade folded up on top of the cab. You might try that.
George

Now THAT'S an idea...yeah...use the existing holes for the support poles...maybe make it so it's open maybe not so far? Use glue-stiffened tissue painted a greyish-tan? Hmmmm....

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  1:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
As I continue to patiently wait for my Precision Scale detail parts catalog, I went ahead to do some more body 'n fender work on the switcher body. I filled in one slot where the sun shade mounting tab fit in. The other tab sheared off cleanly and all I had to do was grind/file/sand it down. The filler putty is pretty porous and any pits or pockets will show up in the finish so I troweled on another layer. I'll take down the excess and (hopefully) will end up with a smooth surface.

The switcher will see heavy use moving ore gons between Kleefskill Junction and the hannite ore mine, including night moves. This will require more than the ol' pick-up truck lights mounted on the front and rear brackets as the critter will do a lot of cab-forward moves with ore gons coupled and pulled from the hood end. The shop installed a large headlight into the rear cab wall to help with adequate and safer lighting during the night switching moves.

More to come!

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000