Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Branch
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Branch
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic
Page: of 14

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  11:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

You could use a little J-B Weld to fill in that place Russ.

Hmmmm...Good thought, Mike. Might be able to frame it off and do some body 'n fender work. Where can I get this J-B Weld?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  12:46:18 PM  Show Profile
Any auto parts or hardware store as well as the box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot should carry it Russ.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  12:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Any auto parts or hardware store as well as the box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot should carry it Russ.

Just checked Homer Depot on line...they have it. I'll give it a try. Thanks, Mike!

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
Anyone deal with Bob McCarthy of "The Supply Car". I am ending my venture back into S scale narrow gauge because the inability to get the Tomalco detail parts from him.

I ordered the parts on May 31 using Paypal. After numerous phone calls and e-mails, he blames me for not getting the parts. He was short headlights and I told him to ship them when he got them. That was six weeks ago. I asked for the parts or a refund. He tells me the parts are in a box waiting for my payment. I sent him the Paypal info saying he received the payment. He is sending me a refund, go figure.

Then the S scale people wonder why the scale is moribund.

Harold

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  2:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Hello, Harold...

I had a similar experience in dealing with Turner Model Works...long delay, no email responses, etc. I finally sent an email to Turner with a quote from his own website about customer service being a priority, etc. etc. and how that related to my order. He got back with me explaining about the office staff being behind in the orders, him doing shows, and blah, blah. Great products, lousy follow through. I'll keep your experience in mind.

Russ

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  2:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage
That is the problem with minority scales too many "vanity" owners. All the "in" guys are taken care of and screw the rest.

Amazingly the Sn3 axles from Markits I ordered at the same time came back in a month. They are a custom product. The owner, Mark Arscott, apologized for the slow turn around and only being able to work 17/19 hours a day.

If you ever need HO wheels go to Markits.

I guess that is the ying/yang of life, one truly bad and one great.

Harold

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  7:08:54 PM  Show Profile
The funny point with many of the Sn3 scale members is the way they keep on saying the scale has never been in such a good shape - even if some of them must have been quite upset by the recent demise of Banta. While I still find it's a great combination of scenic and detailing possibilities, I have a lot of difficulties to understand most of my "co-scalers".

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  10:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
C&R Davenport (Cont.)
The tender steps on the PBL D&RGW Davenport were unique to the Rio Grande. In order to make the loco more generic to Davenports, I decided to fabricate my own stirrups.

My first stirrups were fabricated so that the flatbar making up the stirrup sides were perpendicular to the back of the side rail on the frame. This made for a difficult and weak solder joint. Details like this tend to be easily broken off, so I replaced it with a new improved model with soldering 'ears'. I also refit the stirrup mid-step so it fits my crewmen better:

Here's one of the 3 'improved' stirrups installed:

Today I'll fabricate the last stirrup and clean them up to smooth out any rough solder and grind marks. I just sent off for the Precision Scale Sn3 parts catalog and may get a rope-pulled bell to mount on the top front of the hood where the headlight was. More to follow!

Russ

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  10:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Russ, several years ago I bought some silver solder (donít know how much silver is really in it) from Northern Tool. I find it is much stronger than regular solder and good for fine details.

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  10:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Russ, several years ago I bought some silver solder (donít know how much silver is really in it) from Northern Tool. I find it is much stronger than regular solder and good for fine details.

Hey, George...That's what I use exclusively, the silver solder. My problem was getting enough material 'surface to surface' to make a good joint hence the 'ears'. Worked out OK!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile
You might also make sure the loco crew was on a diet.

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  5:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by George D

You might also make sure the loco crew was on a diet.

Hey, wait a minute...I'M a crew member!!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  6:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Yes, but your name is SLIMrails, there should be no problem with you...

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  8:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Yes, but your name is SLIMrails, there should be no problem with you...

Whew...thanks for telling me that, Frederic.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  4:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
One of the upright grab pole popped out when I was doing work on the frame and I couldn't find it. I didn't like the way they looked anyway, although it was prototypical for 'un-bashed' Davenports, soooooo I decided to put a protective railing on each side supported by a flatbar stanchion in the center. Here's the upright grab pole before it disappeared:

I took flat bar brass stock and notched out part of one end to form a pin to insert into a hole drilled into the frame deck and a hole drilled near the top of the stanchion for the railing to pass through. Another deck hole was drilled forward near the stirrups for the vertical end of the railing to fit into. I drilled a corresponding hole on the cab to receive the other end of the railing. The railing terminates on the deck and at the cab into 'fittings', small plastic hollow pieces used for joing brake system air piping. Here's the the first completed railing:

I'll put on a railing on the other side along with the last stirrup tomorrow.

Edited by - slimrails on 08/16/2010 4:40:42 PM

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000