Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne
Page: of 59

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  02:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the golden spike, and getting stuff running!

dave

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  09:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's looking good James. Congratulations of completing the mainline and it's nice to see what the layout looks like on the top!

Are you planning on recessed panels for the control knobs for the switches? I can see it would be fairly easy to add them in when you build the fascia and it would mean that you wouldn't risk snagging them as you walk past.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  8:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Congratulations on the Golden Spike!

Best wishes for continued progress!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2010 :  08:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all (though it's not a Gold Spike, not till I finish the giant bridge). Neil, I hadn't thought about enclosures, though I've seen at least one other write up/photo. I didn't build one here (wanted to get the switch 'done'), but depending on the knob I choose, I could add a box of 12mm square wood around it. I guess it's time to peruse the local hardware store...

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  07:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,
Been a bit since I dropped into your thread. The layout and trackwork is looking good!! I really like that nicely weathered train with a great looking loco on the headend!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  3:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Andy. The paint is Key Imports', but I did go over it lightly with my airbrush. If my scheme for fascia-front knobs works out, I'll post about it later.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  8:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got 8 turnouts ready for mechanisms, which in turn are waiting for me to build the fascia/control panel. But last night when I was drawing the panel to scale, I had a real flash of inspiration about my track plan for Newburyport's City Railroad spur. This two-mile spur ran down to the waterfront and served various industries. It and the Pond St. freight house spur were originally built by a B&M venture into the Eastern's territory around 1849, when the fact that neither competitor was more than 70 miles long didn't prevent them from waging a bitter 30-year war.

Here's some ace Paint work to illustrate:

I had planned on modeling the waterfront runaround, in part because it made the area more self-contained. But I'm planning to operate a fairly heavy passenger service, and I'd been worrying about how the daily local could clear both mains at Newburyport if it had more than 5 cars (even the prototype's siding was a little short to reliably hold the local when it worked through to Portsmouth).

But then I got thinking about the runaround beside the Rt. 1 overpass (current site of the commuter layover yard). I never saw the City RR in service, and I only saw that siding used a couple of times in years of watching B-21 switch town. I realized that earlier, when the City RR was active (including perishables to Swift), those two tracks made a usable replacement for the yard that used to be between Low St. and MP 37.

So now I'm off to measure exactly how I built the siding along the main before I re-draw the City RR. I think I can get 7 carlengths, which is all I need for a reasonably sized local.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  9:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since my last update, I've got the fascia/control panel for Newburyport West installed, decorated and wired. I spent most of today installing a couple of switch mechanisms, but as dinner time approached I set up the camera and ran the first train into the new block.

The westbound local running wrong main (because the crossover isn't finished yet) to switch Georgetown Sand & Gavel.

B&M 1170 is a stock P2K S-1. The pushrod switch knobs are brass acorn nuts drilled out 1/16" and soldered to the brass rods. You can see several different approaches to stabilizing the rod under compression.

Here's another view, looking west along the tracks from more or less the roof of the future bakery.

If my wife isn't using the truck one of these weekends, I think I'll get some masonite and install the backdrop in this area. There are a number of roads I need to get sorted out before I can do the next big chunk of fascia. And of course, there are six more switch mechanisms here and the westbound main to lay in West Lynn...

Edited by - jbvb on 09/15/2010 10:42:54 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2010 :  10:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have no photogenic progress to show, which is not to say I have not progressed. There's more backdrop, but it's just blue hardboard. I'm up to 55 turnouts and all but one B&M block in service. I've only got about 10 feet of B&M track to lay before I run out of benchwork. And I spent a couple of evenings running trains and tuning track and cars.

However, at the end of that I blew my 16V power supply fuse, so now I'm working on the right way to power my mix of 48v and 24v single-coil turnout solenoids. Probably about 2A at 12VDC, but I need to test that before I build another supply. And draw a wiring diagram this time. My color coding was good enough that I was able to figure it out, but it took a while to remember I'd used a common ground for the 28V and 16V supplies 12 years ago.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2010 :  9:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another weekend of non-photogenic wiring and tuning track and equipment. However, it runs much nicer now. I did ask my daughter to take pictures of how I "scribed" a piece of backdrop to get it to fit, though:

The mismatch is present because the ceiling is straight and the baseboard under River Works isn't. I set the compass to the size of the gap.

I 'scribe' along with the compass point following the surface I want to match. In this case, I took off the extra material with a plane. A bandsaw, saber saw or jigsaw would be better if more material needs to come off, such as when coving a backdrop corner against a sloping ceiling.

I learned the technique and the name from Wooden Boat magazine. Carpenters may call it something else.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  8:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was out of the country part of last week. Progress since my last report has been limited to backdrop and roadbed:

This is the coved corner between Newburyport West and Newburyport. I started with a cardboard template and adjusted both that and the final hardboard with the "scribing" technique from my prior post. The backdrop's radius is about 18".

Tonight I built the last bit of roadbed that goes on the currently existing benchwork: The spur and foundation for the CBS/Hytron (later Owens-Illinois) plant (left of the main).

lescar
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  04:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, just went through your whole thread and I must say it is fascinating to see the work your doing and how each little detail is coming together. And the pictures are a nice plus in showing the detail, please post more. I'm learning a lot just from your pictures and reading the narrative.

Les
Las Vegas, NV.

New and jumping in with both feet, up to neck..

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  10:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm getting up early tomorrow to catch the Acela to DC, but I did get some modeling in:

The Owens-Illinois spur (stone ballast, because it was built during or after WWII) and its turnout are in service.

Fascia-mount turnout controls work well for local spurs, but you do have to get the fascia into place first. It's masonite, and I'm also using that as substrate for the roads.

If my bundle of Code 83 and/or my Humpyard Purveyance turnout levers show up before I leave for my vacation, I may continue with trackwork. But it's tempting to start the landforms for Newburyport.

mlvarley
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  10:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is coming along great. I love watching your progress on it.
Mike

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  07:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi James, I am also really enjoying viewing your progress along the route. Thanks for posting track diagrams as they let us follow along with your thoughts and plans. This is shaping up to be a very rewarding layout to operate. Too bad I didn't live close by to come over for operations!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Page: of 59 Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000