Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 251 ]  [ Total: 251 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thanks Louis for your Climax kit bash tutorial. Topic Next Topic: Pipes for fuel facility Grandt line and Walthers
Page: of 86

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  11:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. I know three people liked it, but no further feedback to date. Much easier to evaluate myself at a convention...

Today I picked up another old, old project. I'd built the acrylic/plywood carcass for Batterman Press sometime before I joined RR-Line (2006, maybe). I'd cut/painted 'concrete' strips to glue on not long after I bought the 4x8 sheet of .040 styrene, and also painted a bunch of Holgate & Reynolds vacuum-formed brick sheet for the infill.

Later I found out Weld-On acrylic cement would bond styrene without damaging Floquil paint, which was good. Even later I figured out I needed to attach one wall with magnets because the 'concrete' strips would cover its screws and my energy doesn't like to be asked to do an interior before the exterior. So there it sat until today.

I've done the final fitting on the acrylic, now I need to install the rest of the 'concrete', make the magnets work, find the brick sheet (you'd think that much would be hard to lose, but my attic is clearly big enough) and get it presentable.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  6:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Batterman Press has progressed: The concrete skeleton is complete on three of five sides. I don't think I left room to add .040 to the 4th side, but it's completely hidden anyway.

Part of my 'learning experience' here has been starting out with screw assembly and realizing I needed to make one side removable. With magnets, I thought alignment pins might be useful. The screws already fitted the holes, so I filed threads off a couple and buried them under the concrete strips:

Seems to work well. After I finish the last of the concrete, I'll have to find the brick sheet I painted. It will be in a largeish flat space under the layout, but searching will be involved.

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  8:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jbvb,

Looks interesting.Concrete looks good, can't wait to see the brick siding.

Scott

bror hultgren
Section Hand

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  11:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you post an 'all over' image of Salem (oops Bexley), I'm curious as to how all of the pieces fit together

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  10:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Scott. Bror, It's late but I'll take one tomorrow. Tonight's progress is concrete strips installed on the Franklin St. side of Batterman Press.

I had my hands on the camera because I hadn't expected the exposure to be as long as it turned out. Next step is more bits of concrete as necessary inside the edge of the roof.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  10:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That will be a great looking scene when done!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  9:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. Paving and sidewalk won't be too hard as all the buildings are removable. Of course, all the buildings need more detail too...

Bror, this is the 'operator's eye view' of Franklin St. in Bexley.

This is the view from the yard's body tracks. I hadn't realized till I took this that Franklin St. is this much of a view block. The tall buildings in the Depot area are almost completely hidden.

The support columns are all complete. I'll touch up their paint tomorrow when the putty is dry. Still haven't come across the brick sheet, two more places to look.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2021 :  11:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very realistic. You do an excellent job modeling the urban scene.

Mike

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  8:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jbvb,

Nice city scape! Love the shot the yard.

Scott

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  10:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, James, and I agree with Mike... you do an excellent job with the urban landscape.

Pete
in Michigan

bror hultgren
Section Hand

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  09:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks James. I can now place this scene on the track plan

bror hultgren
Section Hand

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  10:05:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When did they daylight the Salem tunnel?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  10:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike, Scott, Pete, Bror.

The Eastern RR's 1839 Salem Tunnel as it existed in 1954 only allowed 14' 11" height at 4 feet from the track centerline. But reconstruction had begun in 1952, when a project moved Bridge St. from a grade crossing just outside the east portal to an overpass. This also buried part of the wye connecting the line to Peabody. You can judge the scope from the relationship between Salem Tower (still standing, unused for many years) and the portals, and how far the 2-track tunnel width extends inside.

A few years later, work started on replacing the rest of the Salem tunnel. Instead of two tracks, this was built with one, only going double inside the west portal. The through route to Portland had been removed in 1952 and President McGinnis had other plans for available cash. At least the 2nd Salem Station (in the deep tunnel entrance cut) was double track. This allowed meets while trains made their stops (an important schedule feature whose absence plagues the current Malden Center, Reading, Andover, Lawrence, and JFK/UMASS stations). This was finally finished in 1958. The stone Salem Depot with the castle towers had been torn down in the early stages because the new tunnel was much longer to avoid the former situation of a grade crossing between the Depot and the west end of the Tunnel, across that end of double track.

bror hultgren
Section Hand

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad! I was thinking that the line following 107 was the route to Boston. I haven't ridden the MBTA to Boston in many years.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  10:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've posted a few phone camera pictures. It is a way of getting shots inaccessible to a conventional camera, but it only works where I can see the phone's screen to compose the shot and push the shutter button. I'd thought about a webcam with autofocus, but they were in very short supply last year. I just got a Logitech C615 (autofocus, glass lens, 1080P sensor):

This is a view of the Acme Fast Freight truck dock in West Lynn that I'll never see directly. It's the tool I used's default 640x480 image size. I'll try larger images tomorrow. I also tried a video, but it was jerky. This might be the autofocus trying to track the moving train. I'll also see if turning that off helps with video tomorrow.

Page: of 86 Previous Topic: Thanks Louis for your Climax kit bash tutorial. Topic Next Topic: Pipes for fuel facility Grandt line and Walthers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000