Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 202 ]  [ Total: 203 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rix VIckys Fashions as background building Topic Next Topic: The New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy.
Page: of 83

bror hultgren
Section Hand

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Lance Mindheim's photo wallpaper might be more appropriate. IIRC the shingles were ~1/8" (.0015 in 1/187) thick. What strikes me is the visual weight of the cast shadows

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The houses are looking great; I like the scene you are building. Wonderfully New England.

SDB
Section Hand

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  1:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there --

I've been lurking on this thread for many years, but haven't said anything. I've also visited your layout during Tour du Chooch in past years. I really enjoy what you are doing. You're doing a great job capturing the feel of Boston's North Shore.

The Georgian style house (red house) is awesome. I'm not familiar with the exact prototype, but it certainly is a convincing example of a classic 18th c. New England house of its type. My question is, how did you make the portico? Is it a scratch build or is it a casting from somewhere? However you did it, it looks great!

Stuart

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  4:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mikes (2), Bror and Stuart. I agree that low angles are tough for any peel-and-stick shingles I've found. I've used Campbell shingles once, but I don't think they represent asphalt shingles well when viewed from high angles. I'll try asking B.E.S.T. if they can get thinner stock.

Stuart, 28 Winter St. is in Newburyport, MA at the corner of Washington St. I have an index on page one of this thread. Here's the link to the 28 Winter build thread:

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52583

SDB
Section Hand

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  7:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, thank you! Very interesting thread. I should browse the scratchbuilding forum more often. I now see how you did the portico. It's really a work of art.

Stuart

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2021 :  10:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Stuart. DigiCompuTron-A-Matics is waiting for color laser-printable transparency film to arrive. My NYC boxcar's elderly decals crumbled so it's waiting for a new set. So I worked on 32 Winter St.:

I haven't seen my picture resizing tool screw up that way before!

I remember rarely seeing daylight in the street side of that house - neighbors were close and passers-by were within a yard of those windows. So I modeled shades with tape. The kitchen addition has curtains made from red see-through Xmas ribbon, but nobody will see that unless it's picked up. No gutters IIRC. The model needs a little paint touch-up, then electric (visible) & gas (invisible) meters and the canopy over the front (side) door. Maybe tomorrow depending on deliveries.

Edited by - jbvb on 01/11/2021 7:25:50 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  2:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  10:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. Since my last post, 32 Winter St. has progressed a little more:

I've been working on the fit of the roof. I also applied a little 'dirt splash' weathering around the bottom edge while cleaning my airbrush. And I figured out how to hold the rather flimsy side door canopy. The roofing is a 3M tape I bought for its green tint - it's made many window shades for passenger cars and structures. But it's also got effective stickum. The upper 'rolled roofing' sheet extends under the shingles, like flashing, and is firmly stuck to the styrene underneath. The two 1x4 braces will require careful handling, but I hope not to lose the canopy itself.

I also picked up a 4' x 4' sheet of .060 styrene. I still have some of my 4x8 of .040, but that isn't rigid enough for long-span floors and large walls. The first application was Gorin Machine in Bexley, built in 2015 from Walthers modular walls:

I made separate floors so I can go back and light and/or detail if the mood strikes. But after the paint dries and I install them, visitors won't be able to see through the building in unrealistic directions. Some new techniques I tried worked out well:

Using a 4' drywall square to mark and scribe;

Using a 'hand seamer' (sheet metal tool) to break after scribing.

Using a hand plane to smooth broken edges and fine-tune the width of strips.

Page: of 83 Previous Topic: Rix VIckys Fashions as background building Topic Next Topic: The New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000