Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 203 ]  [ Total: 206 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Steam Era Freight Car Modeling Topic Next Topic: Pipes for fuel facility Grandt line and Walthers
Page: of 83

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  10:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frank. Pete and Dave, my attention has been elsewhere, but a few days ago I got my shipment from Model Memories.

Bexley station is on a sharp curve with bi-directional double track, and a quarter mile from the West Portal of the single track Bexley Tunnel. So a pedestrian overpass and inter-track fence are de rigueur, lest most trains crawl through at Restricted Speed per Rule 107. Years ago I'd bought some of MM's etched brass 'Hairpin Fence', so with the platforms and baggage crossing finished, I measured and purchased enough for the whole job.

MM uses thin brass, and I do operations. So after soldering the pieces together, I reinforced the whole length with .020 phosphor bronze wire (Tichy) soldered on the hidden side of the horizontals. I also soldered .020 posts to the verticals. This is the test assembly in its drilled holes, tomorrow I'll blacken and paint it.

I bought a fence/gate pack too, but the gate turns out to be scale 9' 9" long. If my platforms were as wide as many prototypes, this would have been OK. But considering how to get a baggage cart turned 90 degrees and through a gate without dropping a wheel to the ballast, I made my crossing 14 feet wide. Once I have both segments of fence in, I'll scratchbuild a 16 foot rolling gate.

The stairway to the left didn't fit Bexley Tower, so I found a home for it connecting the inbound platform to Chipman St. And of course, the photo shows how badly the platform needs sweeping.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  10:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! Keep the narrative coming, too... helps things "come alive."

Pete
in Michigan

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  4:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You sure are working hard on the layout, James. Is there a convention coming up?

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  5:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

I've heard something about some convention up there somewhere sometime, so maybe there is....

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  6:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is indeed a convention, which the Hub Division is hosting Columbus Day Weekend. By which time we all hope very much we won't be in crisis mode. But actually, the layout is getting the benefit of "Do your farming when the weather tells you to" and the suspension of most of my other volunteer and recreational activities. I could have finally bought cable, or streaming video, but no, not me.

No crowd of RailRun operators last weekend, maybe visitors and operators in October. Or maybe Tour de Chooch visitors after Thanksgiving. Someday...

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  6:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That fence looks very fragile, James. That's going to be a nice scene when it's done.

George

Fly Army

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  10:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, I agree. I spent today doing this to about 30 inches more of it, for east of the baggage crossing.

One minor problem is that Model Memories had applied some kind of coating, presumably to keep the brass bright. This made it harder to solder to. If I'd been patient I could have asked them how to remove it chemically. Instead I got out the Bright Boy, source of the few bent hairpins visible near the RH post.

While blackening it (not very well, see above re: coating), I noticed the reinforcement bulked up the fence in a good way. If I need fence close to the edge of the layout or in a place where operators reach but both sides are visible, I'd use DA flat bar or K&S 1/32" brass angle. That would improve realism a lot. But I had the .020 wire on hand and the back of this is invisible.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2020 :  10:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today's work was dividing my LED lighting for two power supplies, then adding more strips to fill in dim spots. So not very photogenic. But I got the inter-track fence installed a few days ago:

The gate is the next part, then painting. But because last Friday's paint order (from 32 driving miles away) arrived today, tomorrow 28 Winter St. will be airbrushed.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2020 :  08:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that last shot, very nice work!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2020 :  09:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Although you say itís not photogenic, your photo captures a real mood. Sort of a lonely, Hopperesque feeling.

Like your photo, your scene is developing nicely.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2020 :  09:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there needs to be a lonly passenger on the station platform to complete the Hopper 'sense of isolation'.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2020 :  09:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Yeah, there needs to be a lonly passenger on the station platform to complete the Hopper 'sense of isolation'.

dave

Social distancing!

Nice scene, James!

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2020 :  09:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that low-light shot, James.

Bruce

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  10:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike, Michael, Dave, Pete, Bruce. People will arrive someday.

My paint order arrived, so today I decided to build the rolling gate. If I solder it to the fence and paint everything tomorrow, that will finish this bit of the scene.

The blue tape jig helped, but next time I'll use stronger tape. A Chopper that worked on .020 phosphor bronze would have been useful, but not worth the room even a small sheet metal shear requires.

Where the gate's going, I'm not sure anyone will ever notice whether or not it gets wheels. And I need to look for a new bottle of blackener; perhaps Amesbury Industrial Supply can help.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2020 :  11:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely soldered! Good looking gate, and a couple of slices of styrene rod might make acceptable "wheels." Larger ones (and I have no idea how big these were, but "not very" comes to mind) could be punched out of 0.010 or 0.020 styrene sheet.

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 83 Previous Topic: Steam Era Freight Car Modeling Topic Next Topic: Pipes for fuel facility Grandt line and Walthers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000