Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 223 ]  [ Total: 225 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Steam Era Freight Car Modeling Topic Next Topic: Pipes for fuel facility Grandt line and Walthers
Page: of 83

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  9:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice save, James! This looks really good! Like!!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  9:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well worth the effort, James, because your night scenes always look so realistic and full of railroad drama.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  08:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Great looking scene with the tower interior lighting and the foreground shadow forcing your eyes to explore the entire frame. Excellent!

Jim

Take the red pill

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  10:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete, Mike, Jim. The scene needs a lot more work before I'd send a picture to a magazine, but I made a start:

This shaky 2015 shot shows Bexley Depot when Mieke was still working on it. The mesh on the foam substrate is fiberglass window screen to hold the Wood Putty I later carved stonework into. I'd thought for a while about more access than just the ramp down from the square level. I settled on semi-circular stairs at the back corners. I had gotten 3/32" balsa a year or more ago and finally sat down with it today:

Once the glue dries, this will get cut in half, then each part will be fitted to a corner, then I'll coat it in 'granite' glop and carve the mortar lines.

Meanwhile, I've found I skimped on real-estate for my platforms, so I won't need 6 baggage wagons to make Bexley look 'populated'. These didn't get painted today, probably tomorrow or Thursday.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  09:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look forward to seeing those stairs in place, James.

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  10:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks like an interesting project, James. Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  10:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce & Pete. We got the driveways and mailbox cleared before it changed to rain, thinking of the hard freeze forecast for tomorrow. Then I got back to work.

I had to make one more step layer for the left one. Filing them to fit went pretty fast with a shoemaker's rasp. I had been thinking I'd make wire '2-pipe' railings for all the tops of the retaining walls. But then I was placing a bus near the top of the ramp and thought of something that was common in the 1960s:

As more, heavier vehicles blundered into RR property after WWII, a common solution was to sink worn out rail for posts. Then they would weld more rail onto it to make a cheap, substantial barrier. I haven't seen one in years; just W-section guardrail. They might have been too tough...

At any rate, when jockeying buses wrecked the original fence, this Code 70 fabrication replaced it. Tomorrow I'll build 'two pipe' railings for the rest of the area. That should be black, but I hadn't thought of being out of Signal Yellow, so painting the rail barrier awaits shopping.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  10:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good catch, James! Nice little history lesson in there for the visitors, who probably won't notice until you explain things, but still....

Steps are looking good, too. Kep plugging!

Pete
in Michigan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  11:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Clever idea for the railing, but what is a shoemaker's rasp.

Frank

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  1:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete and Frank. Frank, 'shoemaker's rasp' is the name I was taught for a 4-in-1 file: one side flat, the other rounded, one end of each is coarse, the other has projecting teeth like a wood rasp. Convenient to have around the workbench if you're shaping objects at least a few inches square.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  09:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This past week was my stepson's winter school break, so we visited relatives in upstate NY. But yesterday evening I got back to work on the Bexley Depot area.

I made a better jig and got the pedestrian overpass access to the point of test-fitting. Tonight I'll finish that up and maybe start the railing behind the depot.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  10:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, James.

Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  5:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice soldering job, James.

I have a few of those "4 in 1" rasps that I inherited from my father and uncle. From now on I'll refer to them as shoemaker's rasps.

Bruce

bror hultgren
Section Hand

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  11:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,
Having visited and followed your progress for years with great admiration, I have a small quibble with your rendering of the granite walls. Here is a shot of the B&M bridge and abutments over Merrimac St in Newburyport:

My eyes are drawn to the white mortar lines. The prototype contrast between the mortar nd the stone is much more subdued and the granite surface shows some texture. My guess is that a wash of AI and some stippling the dark grey with warmer hues would work.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  12:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bror, that would probably work for the present day, but I'm modeling the '50s and '60s. B&M stonework in Newburyport, Newbury and Rowley is within 3 miles of the Atlantic, which I think is why the soot coating I remember (but didn't photograph) from 1970 has vanished. Then, the coloring was like recent photos of Dover, Greenfield and Bellows Falls on my 'New England's Railroad Arches' page:

http://faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/arches.html

Page: of 83 Previous Topic: Steam Era Freight Car Modeling Topic Next Topic: Pipes for fuel facility Grandt line and Walthers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000