Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #15  July / August 2017 Topic Next Topic: Old and new
Page: of 60

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  10:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Track is now in service as far as the turnout at the End of Double Track just before the bridge.

A tripod and some photofloods would improve the focus, but I like the twilight effect in this shot. There's more work to be done on the cut stone retaining wall and the bridge, but I'll post that in my build thread.

Paint is drying on the 'Draw' control panel. The rest of this week should get that built, mounted and wired in, which will change my turnout totals above quite a bit.

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  07:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
James,
looks real good. Im looking forward to seeing more pictures.
P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

GE U28C
New Hire

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  7:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Send GE U28C a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love the track work. I cannot wait to see the progression of this masterpiece.

Cheers,
Joshua

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  9:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a real interesting color on the stone on the bridge abutment. What type prototype stone does it represent?
L&N nut
Jon

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  03:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would say northern New England brownstone Jon. You can see a lot of dark brown stone there. It was in abundance before the turn of the 20th century and a lot of eastern railroads and builders used it. I've seen the dark brown James is using. He's even got the mortar color right.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  07:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John and Bill, there are some prototype pictures of the bridge and retaining walls in my Merrimac St. Overpass thread here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29435

These days, the stone looks to me to be granite, probably quarried on Cape Ann (20 mi. by ship, 40 mi. by rail). However, in the era I'm modeling RR stonework was uniformly black all across this part of New England. I can't imagine the RRs painting individual stones and skipping the mortar lines; I've always assumed that some combination of soot, engine oil and steam condensate acted like paint on granite, but wouldn't stick to the mortar.

I've been working on modeling it for years; I showed some photos of mortar lines cut into black-painted styrene earlier in this thread, but that surface is too smooth for walls of this vintage and technique.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  09:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, James!

You've nailed the stone perfectly. How did you go about painting the wall? I've been looking for a simple way to do this for years....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. This picture of Dover Arch shows about what the bridge abutments looked like when I was a kid. It was taken 50 years after the end of steam, but it's 20 miles from the ocean and less exposed, so the soot is only starting to weather off.

A larger version of that and other examples of soot-colored granite stonework are on this page: http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/arches.html, or search for images of the East Portal of Hoosac Tunnel.

I made this stonework by painting flat black latex on damp Wood Putty. Once it dried to the touch, I scribed the mortar lines with a stainless sculpting tool I got from a 'tool guy' at a show. I like it enough to use the technique again, but this example needs touch-up and some time applying washes before I'll call it done. Maybe a slightly browner black too.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No really photogenic progress since last time, but the back of my Draw control panel photographed better than the switch mechanisms and wiring under the layout:

The rotary switches have to be re-done, as I hadn't remembered how I'd wired my first panel with rotaries until I opened it up to check my bus connections .

To the DCC converts who say "but he's doing all this work to run the power, not the train", I don't really disagree. I've been designing this to make the block switches and panels less important during operation. What I'm working on right now is a swing block, where a piece of track that would normally have a block selector gets its power selected by turnout position instead. Is this old hat to everyone or should I write it up? Here or in another forum?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  09:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been a model railroad ascetic recently: Only a couple of inches of track remain for the Brass Spike, but I'm working on the wiring instead. As of last night, I've gotten all the blocks and some of the switches wired. I had decided to order Miniatronics' capacitor discharge device rather than build one, but no joy: Walthers backordered it and when I called a week ago they didn't have an arrival date. I've pretty much decided I need to buy some PCB terminal strips from Digikey to build the diode matrix, so I might as well order some capacitors too and cancel with Walthers.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  4:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LHS for the WIN!!! Things were a bit slow around lunch time, so I biked the mile and a half to Charles Ro. Lo and behold, up on a shelf behind the counter they had a Miniatronics PDC-1, for $26 (current list $35). So I canceled with Walthers and will install it this evening. Too bad it sat on Charles Ro's shelf for probably 5 years, but they finally got their money and I'm certainly happy...

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  4:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi James, It is always fascinating for me to see fellow B&M model railroad developing. Keep us posted on any more updates!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  11:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the finished "Draw" control panel. I did the lettering by applying 1/2" vinyl self-stick letters before the blue coat, then peeling them off and cleaning up with Goo Gone. Since I took the photo, I've painted the block boundaries.

It controls Newburyport, staging, the Saugus branch (two long staging tracks) and the crossovers at River Works. Calling it "Draw" lets me think of it as either the Merrimack River or the Saugus River, depending on which end of staging is active. I won't be able to wire the west (left) end's diode matrix till my next Digi-Key order arrives, but the rest is all live.

About half my modeling time today got eaten up by testing and adjusting track that just became operational. That would been more fun if the 40-year-old phenolic board insulating the frog contacts on a Tenshodo twin-coil machine hadn't broken.

The rest was mass-producing a dozen brackets for slide-switch turnout contacts. But that's the next post.

modorney
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  11:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> Hi James, It is always fascinating for me to see fellow B&M model railroad developing. Keep us posted on any more updates!

I second that, "Mike OO" (Ottawa, Ontario) :)

-- Mike O (Danville, California)

cheers,
Mike O

Euro-style modeling on a 2 by 5 foot module.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  08:10:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking control panel, James. We have old twin coil switch machines on our club layout. I wonder if we’re going to have problems like that in the future.

George.

Page: of 60 Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #15  July / August 2017 Topic Next Topic: Old and new  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000