Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fast Food Or Fast Feud? Topic Next Topic: Six Axles Locomotives Hesitate Through a Turnout
Page: of 69

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  11:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jim and Mark. I've been working on roadbed, to the point that last night I started on ties. But no photos yet.

I also put the Eastern Route into the NMRA's 'Layout Directory' with about a dozen pictures. Many have already appeared on RR-Line, but now readers who are NMRA members can find me another way. Those of you who aren't NMRA members, if web search doesn't do the job, feel free to ask.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  11:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The tie gang working the City RR job has finished up, stain is progressing. Once I get ballast applied, the rail gang will reappear.

I do long for the days when I could stop by Northeastern Scale Lumber in Methuen, MA and buy the wood I needed off the shelf. Shipping on my recent order was $10 and I could have bought three times as much without filling the box. This tie job used up almost all the stock I bought, but it will be a while before I need any more: I haven't decided how much of the in-plant GE track will be girder rail in pavement and how much will be open.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  8:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James, what great progress since I checked in quite some time ago!
It's so wonderful to see the young children enjoying the railroad.
Kudos to you on being such a great ambassador for the hobby in your neck of the woods.
Over 100 turnouts! Wow!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 01/21/2018 9:31:05 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  9:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, James!

You might save some Springfield budget for strip wood-- there should be lots available.

Love seeing Actual Progress!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 01/22/2018 11:57:18 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  10:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mike and Pete. Mike, the Eastern Route only has 51 hand-laid turnouts completed of the 68 planned; the rest I've built are/were at the Tech Model RR Club and the Hub Division's modular wye junction.

And the thread was bumped by me editing my Table of Contents on page 1 during a conference call discussion of governance changes by people who haven't read the Corporate Directors' Guidebook (ISBN: 978-1-61632-874-0).

Edited by - jbvb on 01/21/2018 10:15:31 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  11:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last bit of staining being dry, I put down another batch of ballast this afternoon. Then after dinner I started spiking rail:

The City RR is now operational to the (eventual) Water St. grade crossing. I should be able to get back to it during tomorrow's rain storm.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2018 :  10:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good, Inspirational progress, James! Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  11:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete; good seeing you at the Big E show.

Since it needed the bandsaw and the mill (my drill press isn't normally set up with a vise), I've made all the slide switch and point block assemblies I'll need to finish the City RR. Last night I finished two more turnouts:

Then I backed my patient test train out on the main and ran it down to the current end-of-track: Opposite the foot of Federal St. on the prototype. The next three switches and the diamond will all have to be built together; I'll post photos in Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track to illustrate how that goes.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  11:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Progress, it's Inspirational and it's all Good!

Like!

The Show was indeed fun, as was the B&M meeting Saturday evening, but now I need to get the rest of my stuff unpacked, get the bills paid, finish the laundry and get at the layout. Please keep the inspirational posts coming.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  10:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A good deal more progress this evening. Hope it's inspiring, Pete? This 'quitting time' photo came out kind of pretty, in an engineering sort of way:

I'll post the in-progress shots by Sunday, at the latest. Other promises are going to do a number on my free time tomorrow and possibly Saturday.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2018 :  11:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,

Very interesting track work, very nice and smooth looking.

Take care,
Rob.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  10:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inspiring indeed, engineering sort of way, or not!

Very nice. Keep going on that diamond, and use it as one of the track work pieces for your Civil Engineer certificate! The three turnouts can help on that, too!

And I though I was crazy to build a diamond with only one curved route....

Pete
in Michigan

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  10:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just beautiful track work.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  11:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, both the trackwork and the photo!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  5:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rob, Frank, Dave, Pete. I got Civil in September 2015, using (among other things) a curved diamond built the "separate bits of rail" way.

Page: of 69 Previous Topic: Fast Food Or Fast Feud? Topic Next Topic: Six Axles Locomotives Hesitate Through a Turnout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000