Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 61 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: British coach vonversion. Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car
Page: of 62

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  5:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The photos look great James! I do love the low angle shots. How did the op session go?

Dave, you need to just jump in and learn. Its fun!

Mark

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  7:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James that was quite a float facility. Thanks for showing me.

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  02:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That bridge is looking wonderful, and the ops session looked fun! :D

-Dan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  11:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark & Daniel. You're welcome, Frank.

Today I got the basic bridge model pretty much complete - paint is drying on the truss enclosure roofs, they should go on tomorrow.

B&M 6113 by Rapido westbound.

My model of 3821, the B&M's only E-8, goes back to the first run of P2K E-8s, probably more than 15 years ago.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  12:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After my last post, I spent a week at an all-you-can-drink place on the Mayan Rivera - not my first choice but a friend group demanded a swim-up bar. Returning to frigid weather, paperwork and doing a styrene scratchbuilding clinic for the Seacoast Division, I only just got back to the layout:

Rapido's Phase II (New Look) RDC is another beautiful model. But its pilot is much pickier about vertical curves in the track; it derails at several places which don't bother the Phase I model at all. Filing will be required, but before I start I'll get out the RDC books and see how much clearance the prototype had.

The other bit of progress visible here is Tichy #8016 NBW castings on the guard timbers. After a slow start, I got fairly adept at installing them - the recommended #77 drill is a light press fit, which worked fine once I got out serrated-jaw tweezers. Motivation: Hoping the Rowley River Bridge earns a Merit Award when evaluated for Master Builder - Structures.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  09:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  10:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  12:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The box pony truss got its last NBWs this evening. Then I installed the sidewalk curb and paved it. Final photos will go in its own thread and the challenge if the paving dries satisfactorily.

I'm happy to see there's at least one angle where NBWs are visible: representing bolts holding up the floor beams in this case. The bolt securing the brace to the outrigger beam is also in the picture, but I can only make it out in the original. The ends of the tension members in the trusses are only visible when it's upside down in a good light.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  10:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two great looking pics James. I especially like the one above showing off the guard timbers which look great. Your a patient man to install all of those N&B castings!

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  6:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, using serrated-jaw medical tweezers got the patience required well below that required of a saint. They were given to me by my Dr. who said they'd otherwise go to scrap after one use.

Today I finished installing the Chipman St. boxed pony truss bridge.

It's been lightly weathered with A&I, still need to get out a candle to do smoke stains.

Once I finish the backdrop and scenery in the area, I'll try these again with lighting over and above my room lights.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  7:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, James!

Congratulations!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  6:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. I got back from a trip to the U.K. Monday and found the backlog I'd expected. Today finally left me some time for the Eastern Route:

Before I left I'd built a partial eastern abutment for the Chipman St. overpass. This is a 'grab shot' which might have been taken from King Arthur Flour's unloading dock (except in the real world the building was removed to make room for my camera). The visible area needs more cinders and ground cover, and at some point King Arthur's coal unloading pit will appear in the foreground.

Now to contemplate which of the two dozen possibilities I should work on next...

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  8:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like.

Mr. Smith would be proud....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. Early in March I'd done a Scratchbuilding Structures in Styrene clinic at the Seacoast Division's Derry Fun Night. As before, my presentation was building something mixed with passing around pieces and subassemblies while answering questions. The subject was the B&M's Newburyport, MA section house.

I'd measured, photographed, drawn and built Ipswich's Section House years ago. Newburyport's housed two gangs, so it was built to the same standard design, but twice as long. It's long gone, but I remembered the speeder doors being at the ends. I couldn't place the people doors, so after finding the B&M RRHS Archive's ICC valuation data covers an earlier version of the building, I chose one, facing the track (breaking & entering wasn't unknown in Newburyport of that era).

Materials are Evergreen .060 spacing clapboard .040 thick, .080 square bracing and .010 x .060 for trim boards

Last night I cut the rear wall and assembled the basic structure.

This morning I added an .040 styrene roof and most of the remaining trim boards. Once I get the rafter tails on it, I'll paint at least the roof.

The only other recent activity is non-photogenic: Beginning to pave the High St. overpass for the Structures AP and cleaning up some punch list items from the last op session.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  7:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice! I may need to raid your Design Bureau.

This would look good in the buff/red scheme....

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: British coach vonversion. Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000