Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Also Models HO scale T-3 electric locomotive Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne
Page: of 59

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  08:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a 'railroady' looking structure, James.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  10:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's easy to use PowerPoint to draw lines on paper for shingles. Laminate the paper to the subroof and then glue the shingles to the paper.

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  11:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Michael, Mike and Bruce. As noted earlier, this is a mild kitbash from RDA's Easton Mill main building. Dave, I usually eventually manage to get something printed to the actual size I need, but it's rarely easy. I measured and scribed for the other half of this roof:

The loading platforms need to be leveled, stained and embedded in the scenery. I have a plan which I'll try tomorrow. Pete, do you recognize Ken A's 'K10' font in the sign?

This is the side (and partial interior) that won't even be visible to a micro camera once the platform sheds are in place. The idea is this was the old freight station before Chipman St. in Bexley was grade-separated. During that project it was repurposed as part Mail/Express/Baggage Room, part indoor stairway & limited waiting area.

A question for those who're more on the structures side of things: This took 6+ hours of shingling. I'm looking at alternatives for buildings that aren't aimed at contests and sited 30" from the audience. What do you use for 'quick shingles'?

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  11:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, take a look at the Clever Models web site. You can get 8.5 x 11 sheets of many types of shingles. Print them out cut.trim to cover the entire roof side, and glue.
it's a 1, 2, 3 process. The results will surprise you'...There are also free paper shingles and all types of full sheet pages wood, trim, etc on the net'..

Ted in South Western, Connecticut

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  01:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work.

I think it's pretty obvious that I'd recommend the Clever Models textures too. ;)

-Dan

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  08:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  1:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Progress to me, James! And yes, I see Ken's font in there. Nice!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  7:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone. Dan and Ted, what do you use to print the downloadable textures? I've had Canon inkjet prints fade in 3-4 years of intermittent 'daylight' fluorescents, no direct sunlight.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James you sure are ambitious with the expansion of the layout. I like the "purpose" of the new City RR.

I've been toying with the idea of a NYC B&O freight facility. It has freight warehouses and a car float to connect Manhattan to the mainland. This is the actual track plan.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/06/2017 09:26:54 AM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  11:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Thanks, everyone. Dan and Ted, what do you use to print the downloadable textures? I've had Canon inkjet prints fade in 3-4 years of intermittent 'daylight' fluorescents, no direct sunlight.

Jim, I print them on .65 card stock, just a thick paper actually. I get a 50 pack in Michael's for $3.99, on a regular HP ink jet printer. Matt photo paper works well too, but you will get a little shine. No fading at all. You can also spray on any fixative as an extra protection. But not necessary. I've had actual photographs I printed fade, but for some reason, no modeling prints have faded. Not even a little bit'..

Ted in South Western, Connecticut

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  11:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, I've seen several nice float terminals in more or less finished condition, including two Freemo modules that replicate a RDG facility in Camden NJ at full scale size. That was at this year's Amherst show (Big E or Springfield); my pictures here:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48405&whichpage=4

One I wish I'd seen more of was a Brooklyn B&O terminal under construction by the late Don Reed (Avrrpa). One I hope to see operating someday is Tim Warris' CNJ Bronx Terminal.

Yours looks like an interesting plan for a corner of a room and using space over a bookcase or the like for the float bridge. Not being a NY or Philly native, I can't say much more, except I'll follow along if you decide to go ahead.

I've decided to postpone erecting the Downtown Newburyport peninsula till after the op session on the 18th, so it's still scenery and structures. I did have what seems a clever idea, shown below:

I've done OK at embedding loading docks and other post-supported structures in scenery. But the hole layout/drilling is a pain, and the structure always needs fiddly leveling whenever it's touched. The Baggage/Express RR and truck docks are far enough from visitors that I decided to try screw leveling. I also had the idea that if a dock warped badly, I could apply epoxy to the screw heads and weight the whole business down till it was permanent. But luckily, that hasn't happened here (yet).

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  9:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
6 or 7 years ago I started the Chipman St. overpass west of Bexley Depot. I designed the multi-span boxed pony truss bridge, built the abutments and got stalled because I wasn't sure what the surroundings would look like:

Today, I decided I knew enough about the setting so I collected the research & materials and started a new thread:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48622

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  10:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A week of working on the Chipman St. bridge (intermixed with a snowstorm, etc.) has it almost ready for paint/stain. This afternoon went to cleaning up for tomorrow's op session, this evening to testing with trains. But I took a few minutes to play around with the bridge as a photo prop. This one has potential, once I've figured out the backdrop and built a few more flats and partial buildings.

Platform sheds will only emphasize that my camera lens is 8-10 scale feet above the rail. Maybe I should frame it with a mask shaped like the fireman's side windshield of an EMD cab unit (channeling David P. Morgan here).

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  7:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I observed/acted as brakeman/kibbitzed for an operating session on James' railroad today:

I'm a complete neophyte to operations, so it was really interesting to see how this all comes together. The signals and interlocking were particularly effective at preventing accidents, and except for one car and a couple of recalcitrant couplers, everything (steam and diesel) ran great!

Next time I'll actually try to run a train

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  3:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was good to see you, Dave. I'm thinking the next will probably be late April or early May. We'll see how much the layout evolves before then.

The weather favored airbrushing today, so I painted the bridge's truss enclosures and road deck. And after setting it to dry, I tried out another photo angle.

Page: of 59 Previous Topic: Also Models HO scale T-3 electric locomotive Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000