Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: Ambitious Project ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dilema log pond for Walthers Moutain Lumber build. Topic Next Topic: British coach vonversion.
Page: of 62

bror hultgren
New Hire

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  09:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, Very nice work. The RDC looks a lot more pleasant to ride than the beat up ones I rode for years (in the '60s) out to Ipswich. Rapido does some really fine work.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  10:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. Mark, Rapido included seats & window shades. The seats match my memory of the B&M cars in the early '60s - red vinyl in the smoking end, blue cloth in the other (though both colors could be duller). But the inside of the body is 'stainless' - at some point I need to take it apart and paint it beige (roughly Floquil Depot Buff is what I remember). They have a photo proving the underbody was blue from the factory, but after a week or two in service all you could see was grayish brown from the brake shoe dust.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  10:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice shot, James!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  9:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bulletin Order #39, January 22, 2017. At Chipman St., westward three-light home interlocking signal governing the westerly main track, westward two-light dwarf interlocking signal governing the easterly main track and westward dwarf signal governing the Old Yard track are placed in service. Centralized Traffic Control per Rule 265 is in effect from Saugus Jct. to D'Arcy Ave, under control of the Train Director at Bexley Tower.

Thanks, Pete. After installing this home signal, I experimented with my telephoto shooting under the Chipman St. overpass mockup to the east end of the interlocking. Lots more to do, but the scene has potential. As soon as I get the necessary brass stock, the last two signals in West Lynn will get priority.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, James! Glad to see Progress!

Seems like I'm constantly building turnouts, and every time I get one in, I need another one. Someday....

Pete
in Michigan

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  09:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks really good, James. I like your new RDC in the Minute Man paint.

Chuck

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  10:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your block signals look great, they're way beyond my level of expertize. A friend of mine was selling his N-scale layout and he had 2 prices, w/signals and wo/signals.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  10:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Chuck. Frank, building the signals isn't as difficult as many projects you've posted. Mine are soldered brass for durability, but nothing I've had to do has been as hard as soldering leads to surface-mount LEDs. Wiring signals can get complicated, but I've operated several layouts whose signals were controlled by toggle switches.

Thanks, Pete, I'm expecting to spend some time on the track gang myself over the next few months. My new project is building the Downtown Newburyport peninsula, whose City Railroad (lower) and Pond St. (upper) spurs leave the main at Newburyport West:

The prototypes for these tracks date to the railroad wars of the 1850s: a B&M branch trying to steal traffic from the Eastern had its passenger terminal at Pond St. The City RR looped south of downtown to serve the waterfront directly, which the Eastern had never bothered to do. On my layout, the B&M freight house will be at Pond St. and the City RR will serve several active customers, including expedited service for the Swift meat distribution warehouse.

Work began today, building the two long L girders and moving my parts cabinet to the other side of the chimney. Tomorrow I need to get a long-planned power outlet installed before I clutter up access to the crawl space by putting the girders on their legs.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  10:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good to me!

Pete
in Michigan

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  11:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, and the railroad grows! It will be fun to watch this area develop James.

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  08:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  11:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike, Mark, Pete.

Tonight I finished a long day by going up to the attic and cleaning up after taking Rowley to the Big E. As I was shifting equipment among my boxes and the layout, some clearly needed weathering before the op session later this month. I experimented with a pastel crayon & brushes, but for the main job I used washes:

Rapido, like Budd, painted the non-stainless part of their RDC underbodies a color somewhat darker than ATSF 'Enchantment Blue'. But the B&M's fleet didn't look like that in service. I brushed on Tru-Color Grimy Black, then Floquil Rust, both diluted with lacquer thinner.

The exhaust area got more Grimy Black, which I then streaked out over the rest of the roof with more lacquer thinner. I'll probably return to 6113 with my airbrush to get more brakeshoe dust onto the lower sides, but I'm willing to show this to visitors.

NOTE: putting lacquer thinner on Rapido's fancy metallic finish worked for me, but sometimes things that work for me don't for others. Start out gently...

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  10:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lining up an op session for the 18th has shifted my priorities to cleaning, including unfinished projects. Yesterday & today I put a chimney and half the roof on the Mail & Express building:

I have the loading platform for the other side done but for legs and staining, but it got washed out of the pictures I took. More tomorrow, most likely. And for the other half of the roof, I will take the time to fully lay out the shingle guidelines and see if that gets me a more even roof.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  07:40:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Very New Englandy looking structure.

I once tried shingling a roof without drawing guidelines: total failure.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  07:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The roof looks fine to me. Don't know is I would want it too perfect unless I was trying to represent a new build and not one that has been there for awhile.

Mike

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Dilema log pond for Walthers Moutain Lumber build. Topic Next Topic: British coach vonversion.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000