Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne
Page: of 57

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2016 :  11:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark. Not much photogenic progress since, but a good deal of fiddling with the location of the MRC wireless dongle, hoping to improve reception in the north end of the room. Nothing conclusive to report yet. So on to Purchasing: (If people think this should have gone in The Car Shop, I can do so).

I just received Rapido's new HO scale New Haven 1948 Pullman-Standard lightweight coaches. The gauge and couple height were good on all three, the steam line is high enough and far enough back that I don't expect trouble:

The interior light is quite bright, enough to interfere with exposures under my normal room lighting.

I'm going to have to look at photos and NHRHTA publications - I didn't realize they were delivered with green roofs. Of course, this might have changed by my mid-1950s era, but it's worth a bit of time to confirm. I only have one other car in this scheme, an Eastern Car Works parlor-baggage, whose roof is black.

I love the end-to-end uniform illumination, but it makes window shades a priority, and when I have the first car open I will take a look at the regulator circuit and see if I see an easy way to dim them.

Edited by - jbvb on 10/14/2016 11:13:14 PM

bror hultgren
New Hire

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  08:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

They look wonderful .....in Rowley????

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  10:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some good looking cars! Great detail.

Mark

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  10:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Nice find!

Love the night shots, and yes, they look a little bright to me. Might be too much time in the bar car....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  5:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bror, Mark, Pete. Bror, thinking about it, the prototype 1948 P-S coaches probably never ran through Rowley; the Eastern wouldn't have been a likely detour for the State of Maine or East Wind before it was severed as a through route in 1952. The MBTA fixed up a couple of trains of these for head-end power in the mid-1980s, so they almost certainly ran through West Lynn (with a purple window band). But they were long gone when Ipswich - Newburyport service was restored in 1998. But in my alternate universe, the New Haven built the Boston Harbor Tunnel and the State of Maine goes through Newburyport instead of Worcester.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  7:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

Those are really sharp looking cars. Sounds like you are pleased with your purchase, as you should be.

Mke

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  8:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James showed this car off at the NMRA Seacoast Div meet, and talked about how they light up the whole layout room.

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a while, but there was packing, then 3 weeks in Thailand, then the election and firewood. Now Tour de Chooch is two weeks away (I'm open Sunday 11/27) and I spent today in the attic:

The baggage & express building has a roof, and I've temporarily assembled two sides of DMP's 'M.T. Arms Hotel' into a background building behind the depot. The rest of the hotel is another partial structure facing Bennett St. in West Lynn. Painting awaits warmer weather tomorrow, so I've been working on adding a bit of removable street and rearranging the backdrop in that area.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  2:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another 8 hours in the attic and progress at the Bennett St. site (E. end of West Lynn) has become photogenic:

Bennett St. used to stop at the near edge of the single track overpass. It now extends to the wall, removably so I can still install and remove storm windows. The roof of my 2-story kitbash on the left is finished; it awaits windows and curtains. The M.T.Arms kitbash on the right will get brick and facade paint as soon as I get more N2 gas from the local welding supply.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  3:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me, James.

On that N2 purchase, since model railroading is, as we all know, "fun," maybe you should consider N2O instead....

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  3:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is shaping up into a nice scene, James.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  6:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce & Pete. Pete, I wouldn't have mixed N2O with lacquer thinner even back when I was mis-spending my youth.

Time's run out for more scenery, now it's just cleaning & testing before the Tour de Chooch tomorrow:

The express/baggage building is closest to complete, but still needs shingles, downspouts and window glazing. And a big loading platform around it, platform sheds and the pedestrian overpass; it'll be a while. The new commercial building behind the depot needs black on the backdrop behind it, but it isn't as obvious from normal viewing angles.

The markers got added to C-2 this way: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48239

This background building is a little farther along, but the scene won't really coalesce until I figure out how to do streets disappearing at angles with available photos. And Mr. Smith's car looks awfully new; some dull varnish appears to be in order.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  7:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
49 Merc? Looks good from here! Those Rapido passenger cars also look great.

Jim

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  8:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all looks very good', but the Merc needs a little dust on it'..

Ted

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  9:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me, James.

Remember that Mr. Smith is a fastidious person even today, so don't obsess over a dusty car-- he probably never owned one!

Chooch well....

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 11/26/2016 10:00:49 PM

Page: of 57 Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000