Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge
Page: of 56

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  10:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mieke, Pete, Mike. Mike, that picture was pointed out to me before I even got the issue. I'm also visible in the panorama of the HUB/MCR Div. 1/4 layout, with my back to the camera waving my hands, jawing with Pete (Orionvp17) whose face is visible.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  10:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Thank you, Mieke, Pete, Mike. Mike, that picture was pointed out to me before I even got the issue. I'm also visible in the panorama of the HUB/MCR Div. 1/4 layout, with my back to the camera waving my hands, jawing with Pete (Orionvp17) whose face is visible.

... and whose "worse side" is facing the camera in another photo.

At least you two were doing useful work!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  3:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete, IIRC when I was working, you were too.

Thinking about the express building, I pulled Railway Design Assoc. 'Easton Mill' out of the kit drawer. The bricks look good, but the edges of each molding need a *lot* of filing to get a clean joint. In their defense, RDA does supply downspouts to hide the seams, but I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to using them.

The two window walls will face the passenger platform, the freight door walls will face the spur closer to the edge of the layout.

A few minutes with a jeweler's saw produced door openings for the stairway. I think I'll install steel beam lintels and disguise the remains of the arch lintels with signage.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  6:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Thanks for the kind words, but I was jawing in both photos.... The working part was in total obscurity. Nobody sees that!

This mill/express building project looks interesting. Please keep the thoughts, pros and cons coming. I've looked at that kit any number of times for various things, but as yet haven't done anything with it. Looking forward to seeing how things come out.

Pete
in Michigan

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  11:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've picked up working on the scenery in East Lynn again, with the tenements (details at another thread http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44725. Clearly, we need to put newer pictures up. Between James and I, there are yard-shaped green spaces and basic pavement and paths. Yesterday I atarted on some of the fence sections - first coat of brownish paint is on. Will have to see how it looks once it has a second coat later this week.
Progress.

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  10:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more progress on jbvb's new building:

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  08:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aside from the windows, I'm about done with the original Easton Mill kit - I'll use the double step casting at the west end, but unless I can ID the 'top step' part on one of the sprues, I'll have to make it from styrene. Their roof castings represents wood shingles with bases for ventilators. I need slate, so more styrene and peel & stick.

With the building dimensions established, I can go back to roads, platforms & ground cover in the area.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  11:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
About 2004, when I did the backdrop behind the former 'Sawyer' from the Tech Model RR Club (now Bexley), I hadn't worked out how to 'scribe' a panel to meet the angled roof to make a coved corner. So I ripped a strip of 3/32" lauan plywood and bent it around.

As seen above, the depot loomed above it, and I expected other buildings in the area would also. We made a template to extend it earlier this year, but I wanted to use lauan so the spliced pieces would have similar properties. It's hard to find because it frequently comes from illegal logging. All I needed was a 2x4' panel, which came my way last week, and from this day forward I will abuse no more Philippine Mahogany trees:

I yellow-glued a splice strip and drove one screw to secure the top. Then spackled the joint.

The joint isn't perfect, but most will be hidden by 3-D, flat and photographic background buildings. I blended some darker blue down from the top.

The mail/baggage building also grew the rest of its interior walls.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  12:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The RDA kits need some work, but can produce nice models. Except for the roofs, which I think are hideous.

The windows mullions are thick, it would be nice for someone to produce laser cut peel-and-stick replacement windows.

dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  9:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just caught a video clip of the State of Maine rolling through Rowley. Nicely done! Looks great, runs well... what's not to like!

Pete
in Michigan

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  10:36:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that "Point of Rocks" station on the B&O??

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  1:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The station's from a kit developed by Ed Fulasz and presently manufactured by 'Railroad Kits!'. It certainly shares some architectural features with Point of Rocks, but it's a lot smaller and simpler. I was aiming for a late-1800s feel, kind of "The Mayor and four Aldermen are holding out for a clock tower, what will it cost us?"

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  10:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a summer of working on other things, I've gotten some work on the Eastern Route in, mostly electrical:

I built the diode matrix for the West end of Draw staging back in 2010. It's compact and was inexpensive to build. However, I made a mistake building it which has required re-soldering connections several times. The lead that loops from the top of the diode to the output buses touches the buses, but doesn't loop around them - no mechanical strength supporting the solder. And I have to handle the board a bunch when I reconnect it after working on it. Next time (or if I rebuild this version), I'll make a 90 degree bend in the looping lead and pass it under the buss, then cut the extra off after soldering.

The other project was lighting some brass passenger cars (chosen because they were easy). My signals are more realistic when cars trip the occupancy detectors, but the resistor wheels I've tried haven't given me consistent results. Lighting kills two birds with one stone:

I used Evan Designs' U-10 LED/current limiter/rectifier assembly. Some cars require axle wipers, but these old Nickel Plate Product heavyweights work OK if the leads are wrapped around the truck screws. For coaches, I put the LED in the clerestory on top of a white paper diffusor installed with rubber cement.

It isn't flicker-proof, and one LED doesn't illuminate a whole coach evenly, but it's progress.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  10:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Passenger car maintenance in the DCC era: I built Bangor & Aroostook 6-4-6 sleeper 'South Twin Lake' from a brass kit imported by NJI in the 1970s. I used a nice brass 41-BNO-11 truck kit from Custom Finishing. Last spring I took it to a show and after a bit of running, one of the wheels melted its insulation. Maybe the truck was over a gap, maybe the brake shoe touched the flange:

Either way, the wheelset was toast. Most new wheelsets have pointed axles, but brass passenger cars often use parallel-sided journals. These were .980" long with .055" journals. In my parts drawer, I found Reboxx wheelsets 1.010" long with .065" journals which would fit the sideframes' bearing holes. With a few strokes of a fine file, I shortened them, removing the points in the process. Measure as you go; you can't put back metal dust .

[edit] I found a picture of South Twin Lake taken before the 'hotbox':

Edited by - jbvb on 10/09/2016 10:10:27 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  12:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, lots of great updates! Great job on the backdrop. Talk about a compound curve/angle! It came out great. And my heart goes out to you with the diode matrix. I build four of them about a year ago and know that they aren't the most exciting thing to build on a layout, but once done and in operation, they work wonders to save a few pushes of the buttons!

As far as the melted insulation on the wheel set, well that's a first. Talk about a 'hot box'!

Mark

Page: of 56 Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000