Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Old and new
Page: of 60

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  10:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your progress is looking real good. I really like the way you pieced the back drop in to the angled ceiling. I would like to see it when it is finished.
P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  3:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work James, more pictures is a must.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  9:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Your trackwork looks great. Don't know if I missed it, but what type of ballast are you using?

Thanks
Dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  9:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I can't make any promises about 'finished' any time soon, though it would go faster if I manage to hook up with a round robin group.

The ballast I'm using these days is mostly Highball Products (limestone) HO cinders. However, I find they have too many white chunks, and they're a bit large for the clinkers I remember from my teen years. I sprinkle Woodland Scenics Fine Cinders on top to darken it before bonding, and then pick out visible white chunks till I like it. In time, dust will take the edge off the black, too (happened on my Rowley modules).

But today I managed to shoot this scene without shadows (it's prettier in the sun, even though I waited an hour that day and the clouds never co-operated):

I plan to print it out and mix/match with a couple of commercial photo products and use it above the retaining wall in the last shot. So now I need to get off the computer and back to the attic...

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the staging yard project as of last night. The chimney comes up in the center of the attic, and the house is supported by a frame of posts and braces around it. Not much to do there but stage:

The L-girders are visible; I'm simply screwing the cross-pieces to the flanges and then to the bottom of the plywood. More when I get back from narrow-gauge country (No, I don't expect I'm going to change prototypes).

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  07:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoying your layout adventure James!! Looking forward to more updates!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  8:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This afternoon I finished installing ties on the B&M track in West Lynn. The in-plant road crosses the tracks at the two unpainted lines:

Where the ties stop will be the beginning of the salvaged Code-100 staging yard. I'd like to get at least a couple of the tracks finished before Thanksgiving, as my wife and daughter are egging me on to complete the loop around the attic (about 20 feet of benchwork and roadbed to go).

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  09:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fundamentally, I'm a 'nail straightener'. Nothing on my RR shows that better than the test loop I built about a dozen years ago:

The Mianne benchwork was bought new, but the plywood roadbed was scabbed together from stuff a guy down the road threw out and the fiber-tie track came from my high-school era layout. This south-looking view also shows the layout of the attic: West Lynn is on the left, beyond the chimney and the bracing framework. My workbench is under the shelf across the south end.

At any rate, Wednesday I finished what I hope will be the final drawing for the Newburyport area. The depot will be to my left, the drawbridge between me and the staging yard to the left of the posts. Thursday and Friday the loop came down much faster than it went up. Saturday I built L-girders and today, once I escape the computer, I'll set them up.

I don't think I'm going to need the Mianne parts anymore. Any New Englanders interested? I'll count them up later and post to the swap meet.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress James!

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  8:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roadbed for Newburyport has been begun - this area will be called Newburyport West, after the interlocking at the west end of double track (the current passenger station and storage yard). The City RR and the Pond St. spur will diverge to the right here.

It won't be exactly the prototype's track arrangement - I didn't have room after measuring just how big the Newburyport draw is a couple of months ago. I have to allow 54" for even 3 spans. I also need a crossover the prototype didn't have.

When I started this layout, I wouldn't have thought to cut the ballast slopes and paint the homasote before installing it. Neither would I have added supports for the backdrop to the end of the joists. No doubt I've forgotten something else...

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  8:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Another great step forward. I look forward to watching this area progress, and don't worry, you're not alone in forgetting something.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  10:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This has me thinking. I had planned on building the west throat of my staging as below. Alas, I can't make the curve into the two farthest tracks.

This second arrangement works, but cuts a foot off the 3rd track from the back, and I'm not sure I want to limit one of my commuter slots to only 3 cars (4 RDCs or ex-PRR 54-footers aren't so bad).

I could handlay the first arrangement, but perhaps I'll play with blown up templates of some commercial curved turnouts first. The 3-ways have already enriched Mr. Walthers considerably...

BTW, Having gotten a look at the underside of a "DCC-friendly" 3-way, I'm enlightened. I spent over an hour at Hartford trying to debug an installation for another participant, and I finally see where they put their jumpers. Personally, I'd trade these 3 for the older solid frogs and power routing, but progress marches on...

mountaingoatgreg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  09:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit mountaingoatgreg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James,

While you were sleeping I snuck upstairs and played around with your yard lead.

Well actually I did this in Photoshop but its the same idea.

Why not cut back the commerical switches to shorten the lead. I have done this before with great success and if you look at real yard leads it is much more prototypical.

I hope this helps!

Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg
http://oregontrunk.blogspot.com/

Edited by - mountaingoatgreg on 12/11/2009 09:36:27 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  08:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, thanks for the encouragement. I already had the switches overlapping some (measure twice, cut once) in both pictures. I think your picture cuts the 3-way a little too close to the points - I like to leave 4 ties to ensure the stock rails won't come loose while I'm assembling it. But you're right, after I posted, I drew how it would go hand-laid and decided that I could make it work with the commercial #6 cut down a little more. Maybe this afternoon I can get back up there and finish assembly.

Someday I need to make time to get good enough with Photoshop (or barter with someone who is already good) so I can continue my backdrop project...

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  10:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tonight is the first time I've looked in on RR-Line in about 6 weeks. Aside from the holidays, I made a business trip to Mexico and two to New Jersey, the company I've worked at since 1998 was sold, I've got a new job and I haven't gotten much railroading in. Tomorrow night is packing for the W. Springfield show, so I have to move the staging yard I was working on. The only thing standing in the way of wiring it is deciding whether to re-work the Walthers "DCC friendly" switches for power routing (cut/splice the under-tie jumpers) or just wire the frogs via contacts. My friend's problem was back-to-back shorts in the leftmost frog, between the running and guard rails, and I want to avoid pulling mine out after I get the wires and switch mechanisms installed.

Page: of 60 Topic Next Topic: Old and new  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000