Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne
Page: of 57

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  10:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah-HA! I wondered about that!

Thanks! An index will be helpful; you have a lot of good stuff in here....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  9:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the last six weeks, all progress was in the Signals & Telegraph area:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45342&whichpage=4

But Newburyport Draw interlocking drew me back into photogenic stuff. 1939 photo of Newburyport between Merrimac St. and the river, thanks to Ron G. for catching it on the way from the library to recycling:

There's a standard B&M board fence along the top of the retaining wall. I hadn't known about the shanty closer to the river, I'll see if I have room for it too. The home signal for the end of double track is on the embankment beyond the end of the wall.

I didn't have that luxury, so I imagined them digging out part of the wall and pouring a concrete pier so the signal would clear equipment. Kind of barren, unsafe to boot.

So I imagined a wood platform bolted to the top of the wall: Scale 2x4 and 2x8s being assembled.

After an unhappy interval where I found A&I softened Aileen's Tacky Glue and re-assembled it with yellow carpenter's glue, it's in place. Next comes more of the board fence (some has been on my Rowley module for quite a few years).

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  9:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me, James! Like the stand, too.

The period photo is a great find!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  11:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. Ron G. and I have been working together on historic and modeling issues for a few years now.

Bulletin Order #17, February 9 2016:

Westward 3-light interlocking signal and dwarf signal for against-current-of-traffic moves off the eastward track at MP 12.5, D'Arcy Ave. have been placed in service:

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  1:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the signals.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Pete
in Michigan

bror hultgren
New Hire

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  6:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bexley?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  9:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lynn & Pete. Bror, the camera is looking railroad west under the Robinson Rd. bridge and across Bexley yard and engine terminal (in other terms, alongside the stairs).

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  10:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crossing the Robinson Rd. bridge over Bexley Yard, I saw an F-unit holding at the end of double track. They aren't common on the Eastern and I had my camera, so I detoured through the yard.

Before I could get a good photo angle, he got a signal and started to pull. Not sure why, as the next home signal was three red and the yard job was cleared to go west ahead of him. But they call the guy calling the shots in the tower Train Director and crews don't disagree with him lightly.

The switcher finally finished his air test and started to pull as I was walking by the turntable.

This is somewhat staged, as until the next interlocking is built, both High and Middle Green will usually be displayed simultaneously. Fixing that also requires building 2-3 more signals.

[edit] The current issue of RMC explains differences between 'Speed' signaling per the NORAC rules and the 'Route' signaling common South and West of the former Conrail. In the 1950s and 1960s, the B&M employed 'Speed' signaling, but without most of the 'flashing' aspects found in NORAC rules. So that's what I'm modeling.

Edited by - jbvb on 02/14/2016 10:39:44 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  10:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive, James!

The signals "make it" in that area, and it's cool to know that the whole process is yours. You must feel good about that!

Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  7:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. Your comment gave me to think a bit. I did research commercial offerings, but none of the pre-built signals were going to look right and the electronics I could buy were going to take me down paths I didn't want. I'm able set out on a project like this expecting to like the result, but I have to budget my time/attention; Mieke commented on me getting hyper-focused and pushing harder on this than she expected out of my retirement. So, I'm happy about it, but had I been able to buy pre-wired wireless interlocking modules I could install and program in a day or two, the time would have gone to something else useful.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  8:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, be glad you have the skills, experience and time to get this stuff Right. There are lots of Us out here who have one or more of those components, but cannot marry the lot to ensure a good result.

Your results are impressive. I'll wind up using whatever I can find at the time or, more likely, not be able to get anything useful at all....

Again, Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2016 :  10:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bulletin Order #21, effective 12:01 AM February 27, 2016.

Westward Automatic Signal P362 at Newburyport West has been placed in service.

A B&M RS-3 wheels a mid-morning Portsmouth Local across the Little River and into the rural edge of Newburyport, Mass.

This telephoto shot is anachronistic given the pre-1956 subject matter, but I grew up with David P. Morgan's taste in photos, and that's one reason I bought the 50-200 zoom. This is 80mm, camera resting on the Hytron spur five or six feet from the loco.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  01:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the continued success with your signal installation. And I really like that last shot! Looks really good.

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  09:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool, James!

dave

Page: of 57 Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page