Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car
Page: of 62

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2015 :  11:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to provide it, Pete. Another try?

Mieke put the roof on the Bexley station the other day, so I spent this afternoon and evening working on the setting:

The hardboard inbound (WB) platform is fitted and supported, with a quick coat of black latex in case I don't get back to it before the Tour.

The foam landforms are my second try at contours, using hot wire, knives and a Surform tool. The ramp up left of the station will lead to a pedestrian bridge, the ramp to the right gets baggage to and from the forecourt.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2015 :  10:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  7:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm modeling this area as the result of a grade crossing separation done about 1900, a few years after Mieke's station was built. The railroad got lowered while streets approaching the overpass were raised. And this is why the EF 17 station has a main floor two or three steps above platform level. At least, that's what this hodgepodge of gnawed away foam is intended to convey:

After painting streets and building foundations roughly, I needed stone retaining walls. I will use Wood Putty, painted black and carved through to white for the mortar lines. But I didn't trust it to stick well to styrofoam. So I used more 3M Super 77 spray cement to stick fiberglass window screen to the vertical surfaces. We'll see how that plays out over the next few days.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  8:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, that looks like it will be a nice scene! I'll enjoy watching it develop.

Mark

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  9:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I like the way this is coming together! Please keep us posted!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 11/25/2015 9:19:09 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  9:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I shall, Pete. No actual construction since last time, just a thorough cleaning of the layout, the attic and the house in general.

Today, about 50 Tour de Chooch guest book entries, maybe 65 or 70 total visitors. My friend Alura's father had a layout when she was young, but she never got to run it. Today she ran mine almost continuously for 7 hours when Ron G. got called away. He did make it back near the end. A few cars found new ways to give trouble, but I was too busy talking to visitors to even take pictures so they'll get diagnosed next week.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  10:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a successful Tour to me! Congratulations!

On to Scenery!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  12:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A tiny step backward on the scenery: While fighting with what turned out to be a diaphragm problem ( http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46425 ), I reduced the grade Eastbound from West Lynn:

This required breaking the backdrop joint behind Bennett St., but all will be well tonight when I have time for sanding & painting. In other news, the layout is scheduled for AP Scenery evaluation next Thursday.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  12:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go git 'em, James!

Remember that you can point out things you particularly want the evaluators to see, too! License plates, NH Red chickens, Jersey cows, etc. It's all there, and it's all good.

Please let us know how things go.

Pete
in Michigan

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  3:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its all about the 'tweaking' as I always say. Its seem we are always adjusting something to smooth out operations.

As far as the AP certificate goes, I agree. From what you've shown us here, you have more than enough. Lot's of great details! Good luck and keep us posted.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  11:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mark and Pete. As I posted in the Scenery AP thread, it did go well and all that remains for me to do is get the papers into the proper in-box.

I tried a new camera angle (more or less 'looking west from the future Rt. 1 overpass across Little River'). Pretty much the first place on my layout where I can shoot along a curve and look realistic. Of course, the absence of equipment helps.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  03:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice photo!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  10:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice image, James! Very nice!

How about another one there with a B-15c and a couple of wooden coaches?

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  11:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dave & Pete. Alas, there'll be a short delay while I build a second wood coach and paint/letter/weather it and my brass B-15.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  10:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not much layout progress; the Hub's been busy and various kinds of end-of-year cleanup is ongoing. What bumped this thread was me making an index showing page number, date and highlights and inserting it into my 2nd post (Feb. 2008).

Page: of 62 Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.4 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000