Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Ambitious Project ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dilema log pond for Walthers Moutain Lumber build. Topic Next Topic: British coach vonversion.
Page: of 62

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  09:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. If I'd been able to get the same fabric in 18% neutral gray (in time for Tour de Chooch), I would have, but this works well for me.

Pete, I plan to ask for evaluation when I actually have the last few details installed. That could be this weekend, if Hub Div. events and social life allow.

Meanwhile, here's results of the 1953 Mass. license plate endeavor:

That's a lot of magnification, and means I need much more attention to weathering than 'a splash of A&I' for any vehicles on which I'm going to showcase the plates. I may also need to figure out the right kind of pencil to color plate edges and back sides. At least I'm a lot better at GIMP now.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me, James!

Since most folks don't even consider license plates, the lack of a colored "edge" should not be an issue. You could probably explain that as the license plate holder that is on so many vehicles. A colored pencil should take care of things.

Just be careful with the liners-- they're now a "stoppable offense" here in Michigan, which is basically a tool to give an officer "probable cause" if the officer suspects some sort of skulduggery. And yes, a high percentage of the cops out here have one on their own vehicles....

Pete
in Michigan

[edit] Best wishes on the evaluation!

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 11/07/2015 09:45:48 AM

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  11:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Since most folks don't even consider license plates

I have found the solution to license plates to be Ebay. I just do a search (in my case Indiana 1972). save the image, put it on a word document and re-size.

P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

Edited by - Red P on 11/07/2015 11:40:11 AM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  11:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your layout skirting looks good, James.

License plates are needed on model vehicles, but like so many small details they aren't noticed unless they are missing.

Here's a site that will help you make license plates, http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/

George

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  12:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, your continued efforts with the details is really paying off! I think the license plates look great and add a nice touch. Nice job on the layout skirting as well. I did mine in a couple of months ago and while I Knew it would make a huge difference, I was really surprised just what a big difference it made once it was done.

Mark

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  12:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The layout skirting looks great, James. Someday I'll add it to my layout

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  11:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. George, I saved that link when it was posted here a few years ago. But as Scott suggests, I'd found enough appropriate images on evilBay and elsewhere that I didn't need to make any from scratch.

Pete, in MA and NH the ticket must go to the driver, not the car, so there are no traffic cameras as yet.

Here's another kind of detail from the last GIMP session: The B&M used to sell ad space aggressively, in the coaches, on the station platforms and on any building that passengers encountered. What I remember from the '60s was aluminum frames with cards slipped into them. There were many campaigns for Boston's theater district, as well as movies, food products, autos etc.

I'm following a mid-50s photo of Rowley that I don't have the rights to reproduce. I don't see framing visible around the posters, so I guessed they were painted steel angle. I used a pencil to darken the cut edges of each printed poster and stuck them on with rubber cement.

It turns out movie posters tagged by year are all over the net. Theater posters are usually for Manhattan venues. From left, it's 'Guys & Dolls' on tour, 'The Robe', 'Tumbleweed', 'House of Wax' and a Marshmallow Fluff ad that I wish looked less like it came from a newspaper. And yes, I went upstairs and straightened the train order signal mast before I even resized the image.

The actual image/print quality doesn't matter much at Rowley due to the platform shed and roof overhang. I'll need to take more care and maybe find more/better images when I do this with Mieke's Bexley station. That will have four or five feet of inter-track fence, so maybe two dozen card holders on the side facing the audience.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  11:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything is looking pretty good James'..I'm sure you'll have no problem receiving
your certificates'... Nice job on the plates'...and curtain..

Ted

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  10:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

This just keeps getting better and better! Very nicely done.

And as has been noted, you should have no issues with the Scenery certificate!

Pete
in Michigan

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  10:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Contact cement is evil stuff - discovered some dried up pieces in my hair! And yes, more curtains are in place :)

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  4:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The plates look great!

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  09:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, Ted, Pete. My region AP person liked my write-up; he only wanted pictures to give an overview of the layout to accompany the text. My division AP chair guesses the Scenery evaluation will happen in early December.

Mieke's work on the Bexley station ( http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45392 ) has reached the point where we need to design the relationship between the kit's roof and the platform sheds (can't do a busy B&M commuter district station without extensive sheds): So seven years of thought about the Depot Sq. area turned to action last night:

Forty years ago, the raised area behind the main line was home to Standard Hydrocarbon & Petrochemical in the town of Sawyer on the Tech Model RR Club's layout in MIT's Bldg. 20. I expect removing it will be the last major repurposing change to Sawyer as it becomes Bexley. My coping saw is visible on the cut line, leaving 4 carlengths of spur for Bexley Produce.

The Chipman St. boxed pony truss bridge prototype is at the bottom. With this depot location, I'd add another layer of 2" foam between the bridge and the depot, leaving room for a platform about 2" wide, stairs etc.

Except for more platform & stairs, the area right of the depot would be filled with 1" foam, using the depot to hide the change in level. I'll ask Sunday's operators what they think, then either implement or sketch out Plan B next week.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  10:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

That first shot of Bexley looks like most of my "layout" right now-- track and raw foam. Please keep the photos coming-- they are inspiring me to get off the dime and build.

The early dark and the rain are helping, to be sure, but they're also competing with an arthritic hip, so any inspiration you can provide is Good!

Best wishes for the conversion, and please let us know how the Scenery eval turns out.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  10:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, Pete: this probably isn't 'Inspiration', maybe 'inspiration'?

My friend Ron G. saw me modeling an Acme facility and found this (maybe in his stash, maybe at a flea market, Athearn?). The 'landing gear' was missing, so I made some from .030 x .060 and 3/32" tube. I decided a 28' package & crate trailer didn't need two axles, so one's in my stash now. After a bit of Grimy Black it made it onto the layout for yesterday's op session.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  10:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, "inspiration" it is. I'll take whatever I can get!

Nice job, and I agree that a 28 foot box probably doesn't need the extra axle, especially in the "City."

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: Dilema log pond for Walthers Moutain Lumber build. Topic Next Topic: British coach vonversion.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000