Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge
Page: of 56

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  7:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me, James!

Pete
in Michigan

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  11:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, great job! I love those post and cable guard fences found along the roads of the era.

Mark

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  12:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James, those low angle shots are so dramatic...they draw the viewer into the scene. I feel like a true railfan!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  09:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the cable guard fence, James. And I agree with Mike, the low level photos are terrific.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  11:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, gentlemen. I've concentrated on the Heubach Farm in E. Bexley and now it's almost finished.

Mrs. H's kitchen garden will be hard to see behind the house: I used Alkem etched corn, Busch laser-cut rhubarb and JTT cauliflower and broccoli. I hoped the phragmites tufts would look more like asparagus ferns, but I suppose they're OK as some sort of allium. The picket fence is elderly Atlas (why it isn't pure white). The little patch of flowers is a snippet of a 'wildflower' grass mat surrounded by a fiberglass window screen scrap painted white.

Two jobs remain: The collage photo of the "Blue Tombstone" (Harvestore silo) behind the barn needs to be reprinted in color, and I need to make a 'barnyard pole' with light and electric meter. But if I want it actually lit, I should spend the hot part of the day digging around on the web for the right 1/8" audio jack/socket combination to mount it removably.

Edited by - jbvb on 07/29/2015 11:19:03 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2015 :  11:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a try at 'night' photography by turning my camera's exposure compensation down. This is about -1.6 stops with only the 'walking around' LED strips for room lighting.

Mr. Rice's new 'yard post' light isn't very bright, but I think that'll change when I build the real power supply for it. Here it's powered by the 'Diode Test' function of my multimeter.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  11:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Passing by Robinson Rd., I saw an Alco switcher working the east end of Bexley yard. When they stopped on the main beside the Heubach farm, I tried a time exposure in the last bit of twilight:

Today's work included making two rectifier/current limiter LED supplies and finishing & wiring the associated yard poles. On a roll, I took a look at doing one for Rowley Depot. DC power is already available, but I must remove a chunk from the stick of wood that holds the big tree in place before I can mount the socket.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  09:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Annnnnnd... we're moving toward "O. Winston Van Bokkelen!"

Nice image! You're obviously having a lot of fun with this, and the results are good.

Keep plugging!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  11:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete, though I have a long way to go to get anywhere near Mr. Link. For one thing, the only equipment I used was camera & tripod, and I didn't do any post-processing...

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  12:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And no series of little flash bulbs along the track, and....

I still like the images, and it sounds like you're having great fun with the process.

Pete
in Michigan

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2015 :  4:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice job on the farm and photos.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  11:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete and Bill. Alas, I find I've opened a Pandora's Box by starting with lights. The Rowley depot's outside light won't look good in a picture till I've also lit the station interior and the platform shed. And the Clam Box positively cries out for lights. It also looked easier, so:

I finished the kit (in a now-locked challenge thread from 2012) with no thought of lighting. But years ago I'd bought a set of extra-long drills. The 1/16" was long enough to drill completely through from the roof to the floor. And a #30 solid wire fits into 1/16" brass tube.

Here I've soldered the cathode of one LED to the tube. I'm about to solder the + feed to the anode of the other LED. In between them I'll have another joust with #38 magnet wire.

I decided the time to have used a plug/jack to connect the wiring was long past. I'll put a small terminal strip under the layout and hope nobody (least of all me) picks the structure up abruptly.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  09:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes me hungry for fried clam strips :-)

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2015 :  11:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now would be the time, Dave. But I'll be making a scouting trip down the coast about March 28 next year, so I can let Fine Scale Expo attendees know what's open that early.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  11:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I only managed a couple of hours of RR work today, but that was enough to finish outside lighting for the Clam Box:

Here the #38 wire is soldered from the left LED's anode to the right's cathode (note color marks to keep track). I made sure both would light before cutting off the unused leads, but because they're in series my meter's 'Diode Test' setting wouldn't do. I used the current limiter already in place for the Rice farm instead. Next step was 'galvanized' paint for the LED bodies and leads.

Here's the finished scene. Unless I decide to illuminate the Rowley platform shed & interior, I'm done with lights for this part of the RR.

Edited by - jbvb on 08/17/2015 11:11:48 PM

Page: of 56 Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000