Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power
Page: of 61

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  9:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

This all sounds good, except for the needing to shovel roofs part. The buildings are coming along, progress is evident, and the "planning ahead" part is fortuitous happenstance. I am sure that you can see the finished product in your mind, so patrolling the layout with the airbrush makes a great deal of sense.

And yes, I have done a number of "on the track because it's a flat space not otherwise occupied" projects over the years, and have a couple in progress even now.

Good luck, and have fun this weekend!

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  09:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice prototype firehouse-store, I'm looking forward to seeing the model.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  10:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete & Dave. The firehouse is behind 3 AP certificates and several op sessions, but I may get to it this summer.

Yesterday and today the attic was comfortable enough that I got Acme Fast Freight to the point of ratifying my choice of kit: Allied Electronics is enough of a see-through building that my "where to stop" windows to the Saugus staging fouling points still work.

As if I didn't already have 15 buildings 'in progress' (though some just need signs), I figured out how to connect the scene behind the Saugus Branch to Bennett St. This is DPM's Carr's Parts facade coupled with a bunch of leftovers from other DPM kits. Here I'm using the Sears vernier caliper my parents gave me ~45 years ago to mark the height of the roof.

I also put in several hours on roads, abutments and retaining walls but it's late and I still have two chores to do.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  12:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

If that wall full of windows is going to face the backdrop, you might consider making it from sheet styrene or mat board. That would free up a detailed wall for viewing elsewhere, and save some money in the bargain.

I picked up that trick in an Earl Smallshaw article decades ago and have used it quite successfully any number of times.

Pete
in Michigan

[edit]: And as Bruce mentioned below, I like the way the building fits the space....
-P

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 03/05/2015 09:04:36 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  08:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the way you have made that last structure fit the available space, James.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  11:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce & Pete. I do my best to think like some combination of a businessman and a contractor. I thought about a blank wall, but I needed the thickness to match the others, so it wasn't going to be simple. And I had an appropriate leftover.

Here's how things stand after a couple of days of building/painting retaining walls, paving roads, and adding ground cover to the areas not directly under trackage.

The team track driveway isn't paved because nobody's replied to my question about cobblestone material over in layout construction. I have to either re-ask it more clearly, or just buy what I've found on the market and report as I try it out.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  08:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

The team track driveway isn't paved because nobody's replied to my question about cobblestone material over in layout construction.

James, I would start by looking at the various suppliers of thin styrene pattern sheets - like Model Builder's Supply, N Scale Architect, MRC (Model Rectifier), Volmer, Kibri, etc. Also, Holgate & Reynolds used to have a cobble stone offering if you can find any. How about some of the new paper offerings? Check Micro Mark.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  10:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could also sacrifice a No. 2 pencil eraser. Dig out the eraser, bend the frame around, attack a sheet of balsa using a stamping motion and come up with whatever pattern you need.

Paint and if necessary, add some baking soda to fill the (highly prototypical around here, at least) "too-deep" holes and you should be good to go.

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 03/12/2015 9:05:47 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  11:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while ago, someone made cobblestone in flexible vinyl sheets. I have a couple of sheets stashed away. This was good for making roads with pronounced crowns and with humps or changes in slope, etc. Not so good for bending around a corner, though.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2015 :  1:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Pete and Dave, I've been looking around at cobblestone materials. This job needs no more than 1/16" thick, because it's next to track laid directly on the Homasote surface. I thought about a German self-adhesive material, but decided to postpone purchase till I see what's at the Model Expo next week.

I've been working on structures, and thought this might amuse:

I accumulated a lot of Walthers modular parts, and after a failed attempt to make a used, re-kitted Geo. Roberts Printing fit the Gorin Machine site, I made a try with the modulars. This was made easier by re-flattening the cardboard mock-up I'd gotten tired of looking at for a pattern. The big, flat, solvent-proof work surface is the pull-out shelf of a replica Hoosier Cabinet that had been accumulating clutter for several years.

Looks like I'll use almost all my flat pillaster parts; maybe I can find some at Greenberg's this afternoon.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2015 :  11:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More progress on Gorin Machine in Bexley. It's named after Howard Gorin, a lifelong live-steamer who 30 years ago sold me a Walker-Turner drill press that still graces my wood shop.

There is a lot of new styrene dust, but I got the basic form together. The stock modular parts only do right angles, so I looked around and the clearest write-up was R. W. Holmes' Oct. 2008 MR article. He used a razor saw on his corners, but for the two acute angles, I widened the cut with a new hacksaw blade.

Once everything was aligned properly, I backfilled the cuts with model airplane cement and scrap styrene. Tomorrow morning everything should be dry. I'll try to get the cornices on, as they'll make the structure rigid enough that I can trace out a floor.

PaulC
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  12:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely proportioned building, James; a challenging build with all of those intersecting angles and elevations. I like it.

Paul

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  08:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, that is a fantastic job of fitting a structure to a very challenging piece of real estate.

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  09:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I agree with Bruce-- very nice job mating a structure to an "interesting" plot of land.

Is Howard related to the department store folks? There used to be a large "Gorin's" at Shoppers World in Framingham. SW was a fascinating place for a little kid from what was then "out in the country."

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  10:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Paul, Bruce, Pete. Yes, Howard is a member of that family, though I believe the business had been sold in the '60s.

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000