Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: dancemark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rebuilding the Royal and Edisto Railroad Topic Next Topic: Tubular Diaphragm Question
Page: of 60

bror hultgren
New Hire

Posted - 01/01/2015 :  5:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, All the scenery work is really pulling the layout together. GORGEOUS.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  3:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Pete, Lynn & Bror.

Today's post is sponsored by this month's "Unfinished Symphony" gallery ( http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44342 ). This project ran around my layout just as Rapido made it for four years.

Today Victor C. came over, and in between showing him techniques to build a P2K boxcar with separate ladders & grabs, I cut off the unprototypic (for the B&M) skirt remnants, opened it up and applied tape window shades. But since I actually finished it (there's light weathering around the trucks & roof), I wasn't sure it should go in the gallery.

Edited by - jbvb on 01/12/2015 9:47:33 PM

bror hultgren
New Hire

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  9:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Did the American Flyer cars run through Rowley? (Still have some goobers in the optics)
Bror

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  9:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see the cruft, Bror, but the only known (to me) alternative to figuring out how to clean it myself is driving to Melrose on two consecutive days and paying ~$75.

AF (Osgood Bradley to those who have trademark lawyers after them) cars were the first choice for Boston - Portland trains from delivery to the arrival of the stainless-sheathed lightweights in 1947, and some of them used the Eastern. Even right before through service ended in 1952 Rowley saw #21 (unnamed, no consist listed) and #22 the Penobscot with three sleepers and "deluxe streamlined coaches Bangor - Boston". But only momentarily, as neither stopped.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  11:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Optical goobers or not, I like the image, and the progress is cool, too! I have a bunch of candidates for the Unfinished Symphony and Choices Challenges, and need to find the time to rise to the occasions. You have done this....

Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2015 :  09:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Your layout is looking great.Scenery is growing very fine....Nice work,keep it going.

Cheers,Chris

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  1:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The layout's progressing beautifully, James. great to share it with friends as well. I always enjoy reading your progress.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  9:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did the Eastern Route hold up through the snow storms?

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  9:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, so far all my roofs have held up, so the Eastern Route is fine. But the snow is a foot above the windowsill in front of me as I type, and moving it around has consumed energy that might have gone to RR projects. A couple more snowstorms are expected, then maybe it'll warm up a bit next week.

I'm in the middle of restaging for my next op session, which has led to completing weighbills I'd only put one or two entries on, messing around with a weighbill-generating spreadsheet a more experienced operator gave me, playing with spreadsheet programs to clean up some errors on it and so forth. I've spent some of my snow-free time today looking into a dedicated layout LED power supply, which goes slowly. I'm not an EE and nobody else seems to have had the idea I have, so I've looked at 50 or more circuits, forums discussing them, etc.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  11:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking good there James. I've got a B&M OB car that trails my Washingtonian and Montealer passenger trains. Very good looking scene. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  5:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill.

Finally, thanks to a weekend with only 4" of snow and one roof to clear, plus an above-freezing day with sun, actual layout progress:

Acme Fast Freight is a major, high-priority customer in my version of West Lynn, with cars dispatched 6 days a week to other regional hubs. Because their prototype Boston-area location was in Malden, I didn't have to research anything; I bought a Walthers Allied Electronics background building because it had enough windows to work with my 'staging viewer' holes. The brick fill areas got hit with leftover paint in an airbrushing session a year or two ago.

Yesterday afternoon I decided I was tired of looking at the cardboard mock-up and started sawing.

I used model airplane cement for the joints and reinforced them with .100 x .188 styrene strips located to support any floors I decide to install. And yes, it's big enough and my workbench had sufficient other stuff on it that this has been a stand-up job, using the track as a work area.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  5:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, it is good to see you take advantage of the time Mother Nature was nice enough to give you. Rare this past month, for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

The brick fill areas got hit with leftover paint in an airbrushing session a year or two ago.

Now that is what I call planning ahead.

quote:
And yes, it's big enough and my workbench had sufficient other stuff on it that this has been a stand-up job, using the track as a work area.

Been there a few times.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  6:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to plan ahead but everything else seems to take priority. Keep plugging away James.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  9:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lookin good! It will be fun to see this structure come to life.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  8:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lynn & Mark. Bruce, because Floquil has changed thinners over the years, I usually use lacquer thinner when airbrushing; it works with all versions, but I can't put leftovers back in the jar. So when I mix too much, I wind up patrolling the layout room looking for current & future projects that could stand some of this color of paint.

Yesterday I planned a quick trip to Newburyport to get some detail photos & measurements of the first firehouse ('Deluge #1', built 1864) before it was demolished. The city was delaying the owner's plan to replace it with condos, and somehow nobody bothered to shovel the roof. The rear part, which looks a little tired here, finally collapsed Monday.

This photo from happier & warmer days shows its final occupant, which moved out a couple of years ago. I will model it as Lawler's store with a dry cleaner in the recent 1-story addition. Then I took a look at one of the roofs of my mother's house and decided it needed shoveling, so no modeling that day.

I did get some time in on the Acme Fast Freight building. The roof & 3rd floor were made of .040 styrene 'scribed' with a compass to match the backdrop's curve. Now it's waiting for airbrushing weather (when it's not bone-chilling to open the window for my vent hose). The weather guessers give me hope for Monday.

In the mean time, I am invited to two op sessions this weekend, and have opened up a ModelTech Studios "3D Background Tenement" kit for the other side of the Saugus Branch track.

Page: of 60 Previous Topic: Rebuilding the Royal and Edisto Railroad Topic Next Topic: Tubular Diaphragm Question  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000