Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Traintinker ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car
Page: of 62

bror hultgren
New Hire

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  6:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James, LIving on the edge of the marsh in Ipswich, my observations:
My initial response is that the colors are too saturated, whatever the hue. (This is a natural tendency for how we remember colors). Regardless of the season, the areas need more variety (see the 3rd to last of the pix in the Audubon link and your own), not so homogeneous. Your lighting is not helping you, especially when trying to match the color in the backdrop(having seen your layout, I can sympathize with the difficulty with the sloping ceiling). Can you place a few small bush size trees to break up the interface between the 'backdrop marsh' and the 'layout marsh'.

Bror

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  09:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did a soak in gray to reduce the saturation; it helped at high angles but not down low. My friend Deb suggested hitting the tops of the grasses with a fan brush, which improved the low-angle view a great deal.

But it still was way too bright unless I blocked the window behind it. That just seems to be the nature of the ?polyester? fake fur. So that's how photography here will be done, I guess.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  09:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

This looks a lot better to my eye-- the browns are coming through and the green is dulled somewhat. That said, Rule One governs, so go with whatever works for your space!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2014 :  09:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday evening was all RR-related, but the only actual layout work was wiring a phone extension up in the attic. This is a convenience for one who does not carry a cell with him every waking minute, but there's also a cautionary tale: A modeling friend who lives alone out in the woods had a stroke late one night. With half his body paralyzed, it took him three hours to struggle to a phone. Now every floor of my house has a phone which I can reach with one hand while lying on the floor. And they all work when the house has no power.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2014 :  09:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

.... And they all work when the house has no power.

Well, the last time we lost power, our Verizon land-line went down with the electricity (but the Cox cable home office phone worked just fine.) It appears as Verizon rolls out FIOS, their fiber based infrastructure is not as reliable in the face of power failures as their old copper infrastructure.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2014 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fairpoint has some backup, but not like it was when our copper went straight to a New England Telephone CO. When Comcast is feeling prosperous or there's a big game coming up, they drive around and chain generators to the poles holding their head-end amps for each street. But in the best of times, that takes a while.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  08:55:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The farm at East Bexley has had a cardboard mock-up of a pole equipment shed for some time, but with Tour de Chooch coming up, I decided to join the "shed & shack challenge" and get it built. But first I needed workbench space: I like the express box car I built from this Red Caboose kit, but I'd used the original split-shank couplers and one had lost its pin. The door steps had also suffered from handling over the years:

I popped off the coupler box covers and installed Kadee #148s. Then I bent new door steps from Detail Associates .010 x .018 flat brass bar (I can still see the difference in cross section) and pushed them into #78 holes in the edge of the frame. After I reinstalled the trucks and the Blacken-It did its work, it was ready for a car card & return to service this morning.

MEC 622 behind it may get shelved in favor of the shed - the lead appears to have broken off the motor a second time, so a better fix is in order.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  11:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My friend Victor came over to tune up & run one of his passenger consists:

Generally, the BLI T-1 ran pretty well, but the long wheelbase, low pilot and weak lead truck springing found a couple of dips in the track.

Handling an engine this large with a delicate multi-pin plug between the engine & tender is tough. But I thought of using the wood/cloth loco cradle I built last month:

Victor thinks he'll build one of his own, but 3-4" longer.

Edited by - jbvb on 11/08/2014 08:48:05 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  09:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The T-1 may be my favorite streamline steam.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

bror hultgren
New Hire

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  09:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(1/87) Women and children hide as the T1 STORMS through Ipswich! OMG!

Edited by - bror hultgren on 11/07/2014 09:13:19 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  08:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bror, they were covering their ears too; the volume was enough for a TRAIN SHOW. But it had a great variety of sounds, and a bigger/better speaker than any other HO steam I've heard.

I won't hurry to fix the dips which hung it up; they don't affect the westbound main and the westerly staging tracks anyway. I like to give people a chance to run their equipment, and I have broad enough curves for pretty much anything. But I'm not going to rebuild my prototypical clearances for double stacks. Everything should clear a dome or Superliner, but the first lap will operate at Restricted Speed as a High & Wide.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  7:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Standing by the Rubicon (Little River):

I think this is about as good as I'll get the marsh grass, and I've spent too long on it anyway. With the Tour de Chooch looming, tomorrow I'll glue it in place and finish the beaches & wrack separating the marsh grass from the land.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  7:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I like the result on the marsh grass. Best wishes for the Tour!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2014 :  09:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ron G. came over to see the layout before helping at the upcoming Tour de Chooch. We got talking and while we were talking, I kept on working. One project got finished this morning:

If you look behind 1231, you'll see Farmer Heubach got the roof on his pole equipment shed.

The rest of the evening's labor went to the Little River area, but several steps remain for tonight or tomorrow.

jerryrbeach
New Hire

Posted - 11/26/2014 :  1:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,
I think the marsh grass came out well, and I really like the bridge and the barn in the background!

Jerry Beach

Page: of 62 Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000