Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: ida ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne
Page: of 57

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2014 :  12:05:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This morning I took a few minutes and added a Gold Green/Raw Umber wash to the Little River's muddy banks.

Then this evening I decided to start the water with a little pour which I would spread over potential leaks. I took a gamble on my understanding of epoxy chemistry and used the leftover Envirotex from Rowley River, poured in the late '90s. If I get burned, it will be all my fault, but I'll know tomorrow night. Sorry for the lousy depth of field, it's late.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  08:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
24 hours later the 1997 Envirotex is hard & clear, with maybe a bit of brownish tint from the hardener. I'll use the rest for the bottom pour on the remainder of the river this weekend, then switch to some I bought a couple of years ago.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  09:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to see pics of how it turned out.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  09:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A third pour this morning:

I'm running out of height on my dam in front, so that section's next will have to be tinted and final.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  07:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I noticed this morning that my thread has been viewed more than 100,000 times. Thank you all, I appreciate your interest, it encourages me.

I was planning to post this picture of a couple of mistakes along with my intended corrections, but it's cool and damp here, not the right weather to pour Envirotex. Maybe Sunday. Anyway:

The visible mistake is I dipped too much of the blade of my mixing spatula in the Floquil Big Sky Blue: I got about 1/2", should have been more like 1/8". This looks OK in a thin layer in front of the bridge, but way too blue in the deeper part of the pour behind it.

The invisible mistake was how I measured and mixed: I weighed out 29.5 grams of each component into a cup, then poured them back & forth, stirring. I think unmixed stuff on the sides of the cups got in as I poured; most of it is nice and hard but some is still a bit sticky 48 hours later.

For the next pour, I'll weigh both parts into the same cup, one after the other. And I'll start tinting with a toothpick's worth of Pullman Green, then maybe a bit of Roof Brown. The front will get a very thin layer, the back more. And we'll see. I get another chance to tint when I apply Acrylic Gloss Medium...

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  8:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I liked the way it looked before you put on the tinted pour, but I realize you may be going for a murkier look of a swampy coastal creek were the water is not see through.
L&N nut
Jon

okiecrip
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  11:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lookin good

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2014 :  09:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did another pour last night; about 35 g total, mixed in a single cup, with a couple of little dots of Floquil 'Pullman Green' (which is actually a good deal grayer/lighter than the real color).

It's still a little blue in the 'stark' shot, taken at night with only normal layout lighting (it also reveals cruft on my sensor). But with daylight and marsh grass, I think I'm getting there:

Shot with +1 exposure compensation.

I put some extra effort into continuing the riverbed under the bridge, and making it more or less fluid-tight. This is my reward (picture fiddled to try to undo the +1 exposure comp).

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2014 :  09:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me, James!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2014 :  11:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One more pour, again tinted with Floquil's Pullman Green, but only to the stream back of the bridge. I'm planning a "tide turning" scene at the bridge, reminiscent of what I've seen many times at the prototype.

This doesn't show the pour, but it does show the marsh grass (+1 overexposed) after spray painting the underside Rustoleum Primer Brown and trimming the grass to finished length (10 - 20 scale inches). Note that the spray paint appears to have shrunk the fake fur 5-10%.

It is also the last appearance of the V1 backdrop in this area. I have to re-paint, then finish the river banks & water before permanently gluing the marsh grass down and doing the 'beaches' where it meets dry land.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2014 :  12:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This also looks good to me.

Love that T-1a, too!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  07:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. Last night, after applying the first coat of sky blue over the v1 backdrop, I finished putting the new headlight LED in 624, my P2K USRA 0-8-0. Placing it on the track, the engine would move, with sound, but the headlight wouldn't go out. The smokebox front wasn't installed yet, and I found the LED was hot to the touch, even with the larger resistor I'd just installed. Power OFF!

The meter showed 26 VAC to the headlight terminals. Checking with two different meters showed 26 VAC to the rails. When fiddling around before I went to Cleveland, it was always the expected 14.3 VAC. Voltage from the MRC power supply 'brick' is 17 VAC, which isn't really out of line for something rated 15 VAC. Email to MRC support sent.

I don't have any hope for the NCE decoder in 1231, it acts burned up. We'll see about the Bachmann RS-3 once I get my Sprog set up.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  11:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Since Friday evening I've spent several hours painting backdrop using a few of Chris Lyon's techniques, aiming at the Great Marsh and adjoining farmland in August. I like what I achieved in this shot of the Rowley - Newbury line (module joint at the left). But now I've cleaned my brushes. My modeling time for the next couple of weeks will go to preparations for the NER convention September 11-14 in Palmer, MA.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  7:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice shot, James!

Suddenly I'm craving fried clams....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  08:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday Pete dropped by, so I got out Rowley's scenic details. After he went on his way, I decided to re-try a shot I'd originally taken for the Scale Rails article:

This one uses a telephoto and isn't quite the same angle, but it makes the best use of my recent backdrop work. And as usual, shows some things I should fix for a re-take after the NER convention.

Page: of 57 Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000