Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Alco Models HO scale T-3 electric locomotive
Page: of 59

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading from the start and have really enjoyed your thread. I'm impressed by all the prototype info you have provided, showing why you do scenes the way you have.

I'll follow more closely in the future.

Bill

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  2:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So James, any updates?

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  07:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill. Mark, I've been in Cleveland. I might have a few photos which would add to what's already been posted, but I can't till I get a new DSL router. Lightning struck my wind generator tower while I was gone; I'm pretty well grounded so aside from DSL I thought I'd only lost my inverter and my PV charge controller.

But last night I went up to the attic to work. After fixing some freight cars, I turned on the layout and found three casualties I hadn't expected: My P2K 0-8-0 (old Soundtraxx) makes sound and moves, but the LED headlight appears to have blown and there's a nasty 'hot electronics' smell coming from it. The P2K SW-9 (Digitrax) shown above doesn't move. And my Bachmann RS-3 (factory sound) blinks the rear headlight and doesn't move. The layout wasn't connected to AC power, but there's a lot of wire to collect induced currents. The 0-8-0 and the SW-9 were in blocks that were connected to the DCC buss, the RS-3 wasn't (I think). More when I have time to dig into them.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  08:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch! Damage from induction! Not much you can do to protect that, short of putting the layout room inside a Faraday Cage.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  10:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, that sucks! Sorry James, that wasn't the type of update I was looking for. Well, good luck in getting everything fixed.

Mark

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  10:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch! May the fixes be easy and inexpensive.

Pete
in Michigan

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  2:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear of the calamity, James. Hope all can be fixed up to running standards. Nut, as you and I both know...the Boston and Maine suffered quite the number of "service interruptions" over the years! Best of luck in the repair department.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  07:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last night I checked the damaged locos out: The SW-9's NCE decoder is completely blown, no response to programming and draws .75 amp w/o action on DC. The Bachmann RS-3 can be read, reset & programmed, but won't make sound or move. On DC, it moves with sound for a second or two, then stops/shuts off, repeats. The 0-8-0's Soundtraxx is operable but acts like it's on the way to burning out its headlight driver. I've never had the boiler off that one, but I don't know where tracing circuits will lead me.

8 other locos that were on the layout work OK, so it isn't a major service interruption. But I'm either going to fix these or buy/convert replacements before my next op session, so it won't run McGinnis-painted GP-9s next to steam. I know it's my railroad, but because it's my railroad I'm allowed to care about things like that.

The NCE SW9SR acted up out at the far end of my DCC buss, so I'll probably try something else in it. The RS-3 is probably just a new decoder, assuming the OEM Soundtraxx decoder is the same form factor as one they offer retail. If the 0-8-0 has wiring issues, Atlas may have another customer for the B&M S-2 their website shows as scheduled for late 2013 (great updating, guys). Or I could just do a couple of RDCs in the delivery scheme (no paint, just road name & numbers).

msherbak11
New Hire

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  08:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit msherbak11's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almost sounds like lightning strike damage....

Mike Sherbak
Aiken SC

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  12:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I opened up the 0-8-0; the only obvious problem is the front headlight LED is a short-circuit, which was overheating the 1/4 watt resistor I had installed it with. I'll see if a new LED fixes that.

I had this engine out on the main testing a telephoto zoom I'd bought before the trip. It was sitting in a block connected to the DCC buss, but it's Lenz decoder survived.

Anyway, I got my other module home tonight, so the layout will be operational again soon. I also helped the Hub crew clean up the place where we'd staged the club modules to work on signals and spruce things up for the Cleveland train show.

Edited by - jbvb on 12/17/2015 9:16:17 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  7:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's scary to think that you suffered that much damage from 'induction'. When I built layout room, I installed a double pole wall switch to minimize possible damage from a lightning strike, but it appears that extra step might have been futile. Scary!

Mark

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  7:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch again, James. I feel your pain and wish you well.

If it's any consolation, the HubDiv layout showed well in Cleveland, with "information systems" from an operating ball signal to that ultra-high tech, seriously cool, multi-screen computer display for the DS. Spectacular.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  10:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, my new policy is that all block toggles are switched Off before I switch layout power off. I'm also thinking of a loco rack or case for engines I'm not using in between op sessions. More handling, but less loco cleaning/dusting. I just need to find a place near my staging yard.

Thanks, Pete. It's just more DCC conversions, but it's tiresome to have to go back to two engines I just finished. Four or five Hub members put a lot into getting the signaling this far. It's going to continue to evolve, and we'll keep spreading the word.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2014 :  9:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since my last post, I finished fixing my old AC All-Crop 66 combine ( https://picasaweb.google.com/115858323281274415788/AC66WearTear ) and harvested 2100 lb. of wheat ( https://picasaweb.google.com/115858323281274415788/July2014andWheat ). Last weekend I made a trip up to Auburn ME for the Seacoast Division meeting (I'm a candidate for the NER BoD) but all I've done here is set up my modules so my main line is complete again.

Something the layout photos I took in Cleveland don't show is the many cases where I saw what looked like a nice scene with impossibly poor lighting. Often these were in the shadow of an upper deck, but some were either in a hot spot under a ceiling fixture or where a track light was aimed. I'm not going to knock anyone by name; it's the owner's layout, and I have no idea how hard it is to get wiring done in any jurisdiction but my own. But I am very glad my own layout has only a few places where the light is a little dimmer than elsewhere. And I'm seriously thinking about supplementing my 48" single T-8 fixtures with more LED strips to even it out completely.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  07:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last night I continued prep for pouring Little River. I need this scene for both November's Tour de Chooch and the AP Scenery certificate, but I can't dawdle: getting the attic warm enough to cure Envirotex in November will be difficult or impossible.

I'd tried sealing the ends of the watercourse with Aileen's Tacky Glue. It didn't hold my test pour of water as well as I'd hoped (the drips evaporated before I took the picture), so I'll be back to it after I get the mud color right. Perhaps a little conventional epoxy, which will also give me confidence that the clear plastic won't dissolve at an inopportune time.

I used the baster to remove the water. It's got a stainless body, but the bulb had gone soft/sticky. So I replaced it with an old bulb that I'd been hanging onto for at least 15 years...

Edited by - jbvb on 08/08/2014 07:53:00 AM

Page: of 59 Topic Next Topic: Alco Models HO scale T-3 electric locomotive  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000