Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne
Page: of 59

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2014 :  11:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I look at the BL2, the phrase a face only a mother could love comes to mind.
P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/17/2014 :  11:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things are looking good, love seeing the transition era stuff. Nothing is more interesting then the mix of multiple builders and steam and diesel... Keep up the great work and keep posting!

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  9:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the look of the BL2 - I think they're great looking engines.

Joe <><

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  10:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, folks. B&M 1550 is a P2K unit re-detailed: steam generator, a lot of WM items removed including MU, with the solid 3-stanchion handrail of a post-1950 B&M unit and Athearn Blomberg sideframes and DA bearing housings. My paint, Accu-Cals.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  08:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actual layout progress: My second op session suffered from minor congestion in the Bexley engine terminal when the Oil Job, the Portsmouth Freight and the Bexley Goat were all in the yard. So last night I started the first enginehouse track:

I bought the Peco track pit castings years ago, but got stalled over track layout: enginehouse doors were usually barely large enough for the biggest loco that would fit on the turntable. Some kit doors are way oversize, which was going to cost me too much of my tight space.

But when need arose, I realized that I could build the leftmost track without committing to a geometry. I cut out the homasote per the directions, and right now I'm waiting for the solvent cement to dry thoroughly. Then putty, paint and weathering *before* I install and wire it. The pit doesn't look exactly like the prototype I'm following, but I doubt I'll get called on it.

Once it's in, I'll settle the rest by mocking up doors and walls. And then I'll leave my mockups in place for an op session and see if they annoy the Bexley yardmaster or get damaged.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  09:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I added the steps, then puttied and sanded the pit, then installed the rail and resistance-soldered the joints between the clips. I brush-painted it with Floquil Concrete, then did the rails and clips with Weathered Black. I brushed lacquer thinner around to give a basic grease/soot/dirt effect.

I sanded & stained the ties when I got up. If I have time later, I'll ballast the track outside the door.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  2:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished the enginehouse track last night, but it isn't going to be photogenic until work on the structure begins. So this morning, I chased a flaky contact in the turntable and then got to work on the west portal of Bexley tunnel.

I originally made it 13' scale feet wide, but it was too close to the switch points; my big steam locos caught the corner of the cab roof when backing through the diverging route. And that's a natural move for the westbound Narragansett while working Bexley yard.

I built the styrene portal fabrication to be removable. Here I'm sawing/filing it a foot wider. Then I painted over the carved mortar lines in the area I needed to re-do, and carved new ones (right hand side of the arch, below).

Here T-1a 4012 demonstrates that I removed enough. That's it for track issues turned up at my last op session.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  08:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thinking about visitors this fall, the Scenery AP and Pete's (Orionvp17) backdrop clinic got my mind on backdrops. I watched Chris's (LVN) videos and stopped by Michael's yesterday. Their assortment of brushes did not include exactly what Chris used, but then again, I'm not trying to do exactly what Chris was doing. There used to be real art supply stores convenient to me, but they've been big-boxed; I will try a new-to-me one this morning.

I painted Rowley's backdrop 10 or 12 years ago. The low horizon is a priority for realistic model photography of a prototype where the horizon is, in fact low. It went slowly because I was pre-mixing colors, and the distant hills don't stand up well in close ups because they're too uniform. Chris's dabbing will help that.

I experimented on Newburyport last night, since the scenery below the backdrop hasn't been started and I hadn't invested any effort in shading the sky. I got the treetop horizon line too high and too uniform on most of it. The green I got from Mars Black and Yellow will do for the most distant trees, but I will come back with something closer to what I used for the distant White Pines. Everything but the piny area by the window will be rolled over.

This is the effect Newburyport needs: trees in residential areas usually higher than the building roofs, but not always. East Bexley and Newbury ought to look like Rowley, but with better technique. We'll see how I do.

Edited by - jbvb on 05/31/2014 09:02:09 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  08:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I found better brushes at an art supply store: A 1" "Mop" and a thicker, more dimensionally stable "Fan".

The Good: I mixed gray and yellow into the base green to give more distant colors, and didn't try to do a distant horizon, just trees on the other side of Route 1. But Rt. 1 needs more visible cues that say "road, viewed at low angle". Maybe a baluster on the bridge, guardrail posts, telephone poles. If I can come up with a photomontage of cars and a business that was just south of the Little River bridge, that would really do it.

The Bad: The perspective view of Little River coming under Route 1 works from a standing position, but doesn't stand close inspection when viewed from track level. I can fix it with a repaint, but I think I'll leave this version in place till I've done the rest of the current project.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  09:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, I really like that culvert.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  10:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Good start!

I like the hillside look in the Newburyport area, but would recommend eliminating the "Hero" trees that stick up above everything else. Yes, they exist, but for the effect you want I think you'd be better off without them.

If you look around with a critical eye, you find that most of the foliage is the same height unless it's been "tampered with" by a fire, lumbering, farming and so on. The trees there compete for the same light, water and nutrients, so most are the same basic height. I'm looking across the bay right now at a tree line on a ridge -- pretty much the same height all the way up the Bay. The Heroes are right next to fields or areas now growing houses.

Don't worry too much about trunks, either -- the understory tends to fill in the blank spots and the trunks don't show.

As to Route 1, if you lighten up the black to a medium grey (I'd mix a dot of black with white and tan to get a "brown" grey rather than a "blue" grey) you should like it a lot more very quickly. Right now it's ten-minute old asphalt, and the trucks are already gone....

Your original Rowley backdrop works well, but could stand some variation in the colors, which Chris' Dab-Dab process will produce.

So keep at it, have fun, and don't forget that it's just paint. If it doesn't work for you, roll it out and try again.

Oh-- I really like that culvert, too....

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 06/01/2014 10:59:50 AM

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  10:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Digging that P&LE box..... Big hello from Yinzer nation!

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  08:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob. It's built from a P2K kit. The culvert is compressed from the prototype Four Rock bridge over the Little River in Newbury, MA (prototype & construction photos earlier in this thread).

Pete, Essex County in Mass. was pretty much deforested by 1800 and this area was all cow pasture in 1930; it wasn't till the 1980s that regrowth reached the height of the old fence line trees. Nearby trees were coming out well that evening, but I haven't yet dabbed my way to the distant forested hills that should be this scene's horizon. Here, where flat land was available, farmers let the hills go to woodlot, sugarbush, or planted them to orchards. Some had been chestnut orchards before the Blight.

Edited by - jbvb on 06/02/2014 08:06:26 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  09:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I hear the pasture commentary. A surprising amount of the area around Boston was rural until the late 1950s. Wall-to-wall buildings and noise now, but pasture and trees when I was a kid....

Keep on Dabbin!'

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2014 :  11:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That this is only my 2nd post in June doesn't mean I've forgotten my hobbies; far from it: I went to the R&LHS convention in Nevada, followed by the NRHS convention in Arkansas. Then Friday evening I did an airbrushing clinic for the Hub division, Saturday a BoD meeting and today our cookout at Waushakum Live Steamers.

This is what I painted or weathered at the clinic. Setting up my spray booth and other cleanup will be this week's next task.

Page: of 59 Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000