Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power
Page: of 61

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  09:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a "Crafton Ave. Service Station" that's been sitting partly built for several years. I started to paint it the other day, but stalled because the back is going to be visible. I don't have prototypes around anymore, City Classics' site only shows the front and I can't find anybody building this on the web. Is the back supposed to be brick or block? If the latter, I suppose it would have been painted white?

[edit]: At Dave's suggestion, I emailed City Classics: the molded back wall is block, and the prototype might have been painted or left plain concrete color.

Edited by - jbvb on 03/12/2014 11:49:06 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  12:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I have a "Crafton Ave. Service Station" that's been sitting partly built for several years. I started to paint it the other day, but stalled because the back is going to be visible. I don't have prototypes around anymore, City Classics' site only shows the front and I can't find anybody building this on the web. Is the back supposed to be brick or block? If the latter, I suppose it would have been painted white?

[edit]: At Dave's suggestion, I emailed City Classics: the molded back wall is block, and the prototype might have been painted or left plain concrete color.

From my recollections living in Pittsburgh in the '60s, I'd go with painted block, and this might be a good place for signs if that would make sense on your layout.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  12:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some in-progress photos:

My first try at a word-processor-generated sign. I think the DejaVu Sans Mono extended about 4 points works OK for a '50s enameled metal sign, but I'd like to reduce the inter-line spacing. In the final, Buick will be red, Olds blue. Comments?

The unfinished forest behind the BL-2 is Phragmites tops spray-painted two shades of green. I'm trying to model young-ish White Pines, but looking at it from this angle shows I should go back and get more of the heads with more fuzz on them. And I need to borrow a blender to make the ground cover.

MLW
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/14/2014 :  4:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit MLW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats jbvb on being published!

Great layout and excellent progress updates.

Cheers

Syl

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  12:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Syl. I'm not expecting the April issue for at least a couple of weeks, given when I got March's.

Recent progress hasn't been awfully photogenic, but I've been doing both little and big things:

The photographer set up by Rowley River (bridge 30.94, recently labeled) but #22 was a little late and even wide open his film was too slow for 3717 making up time on the straightaway.

The sun was brighter when the local from Portsmouth came along, so he shot it even though it had one of those dratted roadswitchers.

I'll fix the handrail when I weather it...

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2014 :  10:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My recent modeling time has gone to setting up for operations, but rather than leave this thread adrift any longer, I give you:

An operator's eye view of the intersection of High and Winter streets in Newburyport, with a westbound local accelerating out of the station.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  09:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Needing more DCC motive power for my next op session, yesterday I got out MEC 622. It's a factory-painted Genesis USRA Light Mikado. I renumbered it from 626, added the handrail atop the tender and weathered it. I'd done this about 2001, but after an epic struggle to take it apart and put it back together, an intermittent appeared which made it useless for DCC. It stayed in the box 12 years .

I found and fixed the problem, temporarily at least: it was designed DCC-ready via a cable into the front of the tender with with a 9-pin socket and a dummy plug. But there was no strain-relief on the engine, and the shortest wire went to one of the motor brushes. Now it's a little shorter but soldered to the eye again. I'm trying to figure out a way to supply strain relief, lest this turn into another "only the owner picks it up" engine.

The next question is "sound or not"? No doubt Athearn used the cable/slot scheme so the tender could be uncoupled without taking it apart. But I've only found one sound decoder with a 9-pin connector: QSI. And I'd need to slide it through the slot and put a plug on the speaker to retain Athearn's scheme. More "only the owner picks it up" issues. Which might work if it stays home.

Here it arrives in Bexley to take the Portsmouth Local east while K-8 2713 (Sunset, purchased painted) heads for the house for a minor repair.

After a quick trip up Rt. 1A, the photographer caught it in Rowley.

Edited by - jbvb on 04/20/2014 09:37:12 AM

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  10:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love'n the steam!

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

Anders Wirten
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  8:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love your work, James!

Sorry if my comments are a little late.
But if youíre still interested in comments regarding the typography on the signage to R.E. Walters, here it is.

Deja Vu Sans Mono is a font created somewhere between 2004 and 2013 (not really clear).
If you like the visual of Deja Vu, I would suggest that you use Bell Gothic, created 1938, somewhat similar, and very good typeface.
If you havenít got access to it I would gladly provide you with a pdf you could print given you give me dimensions and colors.

Anders

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2014 :  09:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anders, I will send a PM once I get out of the maze of upgrading issues brought on by installing a badly-maintained font package on my home Unix.

Prep for my next op session continues. The photogenic parts are:

I needed a switcher appropriate for the Portsmouth Local, so I got an NCE decoder for a P2K SW-900 I'd bought years ago. I milled the slot in the weight to 3/16" to make room for a 3mm LED without filing the flange off. The MicroMark connector for the rear headlight wound up requiring several cycles of "remove plastic at the front of the cab, see if it fits" after I took the picture.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2014 :  11:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And now that my PC is completely upgraded and everything works again, here's 1231 shot from Bridge Rd. in Newburyport, with the NCE SW9SR decoder running both the front LED I installed and the factory incandescent bulb on the rear.

The B&M's last round of switcher purchases, between 1952 and 1954, were to eliminate steam from various branchline and local freights. It's been said that's why they were delivered in maroon/gold, where older switchers were black. Looking through my notes, I find 1231 is one of two B&M SW-9s with factory MU and drop step on the cab end. Mine didn't come with the MU parts package. I wonder if it will be easier to find/replace the handrail, or if I should just renumber it.

Edited by - jbvb on 05/03/2014 11:23:56 AM

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  10:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,
Good looking work. I'm glad your sharing.
Joe <><

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  08:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Joe. All I've done this week has been timetables and waybills. So I'll post an outtake from my April RMC article on building the Rt. 1A overpass. I like sunrise/sunset light, but the editors chose others.

Maybe back to scenery next week.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2014 :  3:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta love the BL2's. Very neat design for the time. I rank it up there with the GP30.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  10:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, they certainly had a unique look, but from what I've heard it was tough to work on their prime mover and electricals. I saw them in service on the Bangor & Aroostook, but the B&M's barely lasted 10 years. Some of that was lack of MU, some of it was a great surplus of more modern roadswitchers due to McGinnis' odd attraction to Budd RDCs and EMD's easy credit terms.

Not much modeling yet this week. But I got a truckload of firewood into the barn getting my lawn ready to mow, and my girlfriend's container is all packed, so the weekend will have layout time. It had better, since I've agreed to be on this year's Tour de Chooch after Thanksgiving.

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000