Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #15  July / August 2017 Topic Next Topic: Old and new
Page: of 60

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  11:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. I've been working on my passenger cars over in the Car Shop http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41863 but that's stalled for painting weather (I open my window for the vent). So I took up Mike D's house (see page 20). Mike told me what he remembered about the little kitchen addition, and I built it at the Wenham Museum a couple of weeks ago.

I also laid out and partly cut the bay for the front. Last night I decided to score/fold rather than cut and re-glue, which worked out well. Then I assembled the shell.

The corner braces will support the 2nd/attic floor/interior walls assembly, which I have to build next.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  11:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your making some really great progress James, I really like the bridge scene.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  10:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lynn. I'm planning on 13 bridges over or under the RR, one of which is going to be a really big job. But I've got several other things to finish before I decide which I should work on next. Right now it's equipment, operation and scenery/structures in Newburyport.

Here's Mike's house sitting on its hardboard foundation. This photo emphasizes how steep my compression is going to make Winter St. There will be angles where photos will look good, and others where the natives might not recognize what I'm modeling.

I'm not going to add brick foundation walls till I've given a little thought to the next house downhill. I probably should shim the ground at the penciled property line to level fore-and-aft, but I will build a mock-up before I mix up more ground goop.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  11:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good James I really like the idea with the footings, are they robertsons?
Just kidding, amazing what we can get away with when we start on something ,lift it up a bit and back fill no one knows the better, good stuff. Keep the pics coming.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  07:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You pay extra for Robertsons around here, so I save them for benchwork joints I may want to take apart later.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  11:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, as I mentioned in the scenery thread, I love your leveling screw idea. I have a couple of areas where I plan to put structures on a slope. In the past, this was always a chore, but this is a great idea!

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  12:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

You pay extra for Robertsons around here, so I save them for benchwork joints I may want to take apart later.

Yeah, I've been known to smuggle boxes of screws back across the border from visits to Canada. The best source in the US (ain't cheap) is McFeelys: http://www.mcfeelys.com But they are becoming more common, I've seen them in a local fastener store.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  10:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had visitors on the Eastern Route yesterday; Ron G. brought two Ambroid open platform coaches rebuilt as work cars, and Victor C. brought some NYC locos he wanted to run. I was Towerman, so I didn't get to take any pictures, but I am pleased to report that my idea of adjustable clearances worked, and Victor's 50' TOFC flats were able to run. A number of videos were shot in Rowley, but I don't know if/when/where they will manifest.

Today I put some time in on Mike's house:

After figuring out why the bay's roof is so deep (the 8 foot long 2x12 header spanning the opening), I built it using 3 pieces of .020 sheet and .080 square. Life is too short to calculate the roof angles; I just penciled lines outside each piece to make the next.

Then I assembled it with solvent cement.

I started on the main roof and realized it would have been simpler to do the soffit if I'd made the ends higher than the sides. Oh, well.

Here I'm considering whether I need to cut the window openings lower so there will be room for the trim between the tops of the windows and the soffit. Viewers who kneel will be able to see this from LP-eye-level, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  8:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last week I got the eaves done - .015 x .125 styrene strip removable with the roof.

I need to ask Mike how the trim and interior were painted, and whether there was a portico roof over the entrance door. But he goes to bed early on work nights.

Since then I've been experimenting with Phragmites reed trees and MRC DCC decoders. But with warmer weather this week, I'll probably do some airbrushing. Once the interior and trim are painted, I can apply the asbestos shingles and finish it.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  5:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The editor says they'll publish the Rt. 1A overpass story but they need a few more photos. After dinner I'll get out the lights but it will be easier to make myself a sandbag while daylight remains.

No spider webs in this outtake, but I think I can light it better.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2014 :  6:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I was feeling ambitious, so I tried calling Minuteman Press over in Newburyport to see what they could do for the long-delayed fibreglas windows for the Hytron warehouse. After exchanging a couple of emails, I picked up 8 copies of this printed so the vertical dimension was exactly five inches:

The non-opening sections turned out to be narrower than the others, so I'll take more care next time. But they printed them two-up, so I only used 2 of the 8 sheets to get this:

I used 3M 777 spray adhesive, but it made a bit of a mess and I'm still rolling it off my fingers here & there. I should have figured out how to dilute one of the contact cements I have and applied it with a brush. I made the corner verticals from Evergreen .060 angle.

Next is more ground goop, vegetation and fences.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  4:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Congratulations on the article's acceptance (to be published Soon, I hope!).

In other news, I like the Hytron warehouse. Nice progress!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  11:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. I haven't seen the proof yet, but I was told "the April issue". Now since many of us already have the April MR, I'm not really keeping any secrets. However, for all I know it's still subject to change, so I won't jinx anything.

I wanted to know when the warehouse passed from Hytron to Owens-Illinois, and the web rewarded me: It was built during WWII as Hytron expanded from a single facility in Salem MA to 4 plants employing more than 6,000 people. CBS was playing conglomerate and bought them in 1951. Newburyport had a very advanced picture tube plant 1/2 mile from the depot, but CBS closed it in 1959, throwing 1,000 people out of work. CBS-Hytron was also in the semiconductor business, but apparently punted it in the early 1960s (as conglomerates tend to).

Since my modeling ranges from the early 1950s to the mid-1960s, I decided to make removable signs for the warehouse. Owens-Illinois' is still up there, all I need is a telephoto and a tripod. But for CBS-Hytron, I wound up extrapolating from a photo of a radio tube box. This required my deepest exploration of the free 'GIMP' image processor to date. I fixed up color and printing register issues, shifted the relationship of two logos and set a reasonable size. Then I printed it on matte finish paper.

I built a styrene sign to suit, painted it primer red and applied the image with white glue. The picture shows I need to be careful about where I set the sign; I don't think it's actually out of square.

Just now I spent a while fixing up the landforms and installing a foundation for the Newburyport section house. Vegetation may happen tomorrow. But I risk getting distracted by writing a "how I used GIMP" tutorial while I make some farm signs I've been thinking about for a long time.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  09:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me, and we get a BL-2 in the bargain!

Excellent!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  2:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've gotten a good deal done over the last week, but haven't had anything finished enough to be photogenic. So this morning I reached a milestone in closing out my mother's estate, and then went to work on the RR: I installed windows and detail-painted this modified RailroadKits EF-13B, the cinderblock 'Used Car Dealer'. It's to stand in for the real R.E. Walters Buick/Olds. I applied some diluted white glue to the lot and sprinkled on SpectraLok sanded grout: Raven for the paving outside, Natural for the cement floor inside.

Then I caught #205 departing Newburyport with two new coaches right behind the engine. They're so new they don't have window shades yet, but that's another thread.

Memo to self: dial the exposure compensation up when a white structure is in the foreground.

Page: of 60 Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #15  July / August 2017 Topic Next Topic: Old and new  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000