Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge
Page: of 56

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  10:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Machining and welding a new subframe for my 30 yo. Yanmar-built JD 1050 tractor and doing things with family & friends consumed a lot of the weekend; the only progress to report is this:

Having a Lynn throttle got me going on completing the River Works panel, which is needed before any in-plant track I lay can be used. For those of you who are thinking about Humpyard Purveyance levers, this is the simplest and most functional mount I've done yet. Details in Model RR Construction.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  10:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Getting everything in place to use the turnouts led me to start laying rail for GE's receiving & interchange tracks in front of Building 41 (left).

I had laid the ties and ballasted last year. This is about 6 hours work, the usual sequence: Temporarily position the stock rails, make the frog points & determine the frog position, file switchpoint notches, spike the stock & frog rails, make the closure rails. If the weather continues to threaten rain all weekend, I will have more to show, and possibly operate, soon.

In other news, the first part of my article on the Hytron warehouse has appeared in the Hub Division's Headlight:

http://www.hubdiv.org/docs/Headlight2013_0910_v30.1.pdf

Many of the pictures have been posted here, but the text has more history & narrative.

I expect the editor to be asking about Part 2 next week. So as soon as I can spot cars on the interchange track, I had better start clearing up the maze of "but I should do X first" issues that have stalled finishing Hytron.

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  4:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
my first thought looking at your picture was :wow,how cool is that looking...
So it looks great from the start and great article,too.

Regards,Chris

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  10:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I found out I wasn't on the right email list to be included in the 2013 Tour de Chooch. But probably in 2014. This retroactively justifies my switch to trackwork - it will contribute to my planned first op session this winter. Meanwhile, scenery work (other than Hytron) needn't be rushed.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  07:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After I got the first GE receiving track operating, I went back to scenery. West Lynn now has some ground cover, the 6th St. (GE Plant) grade crossing is paved but not dry enough to clean up, and there is gloss medium water in a number of ditches beside the RoW. All this consumed most of Sunday and several evenings/mornings. But only one part has advanced enough to look photogenic to me:

Ron G. reports that the actual name of the head of navigation on the Little River in Newbury, MA is 'Four Rock'. This photo is framed to omit the unfinished riverbed, lack of water and lack of marsh grass. Prototype photo posted here:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/jbvb/201321481046_forerock0.jpg

I had to compress it, and had I found this picture when I built the baseboard, the river bottom wouldn't be as deep. Stonework is wood putty painted with latex flat black & carved. The center pier is "1/4 lattice stock" (actually 3/16" thick) wetted & dipped in wood putty powder, then sealed with Scalecoat Flat Finish. I hope it doesn't flake...

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  5:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

This looks good to me! Nicely done.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2013 :  11:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a busy month between town & personal chores, hiking, an overnight trip to the Common Ground Fair in ME and most of a week at corporate HQ. But I have been squeezing in a little modeling: wiring, ground cover and grade crossing pavement in West Lynn, progress on my Hobbytown RS-3, but not much photogenic till tonight:

I got back to the Hytron warehouse project, and began the car shed, using the JTT corrugated styrene. I spliced four pieces and reinforced them with Evergreen .125" I-beam for the roof. I got the vertical sheets cut out, but I'm going to make an angle template before I apply them. More on this tomorrow, as the Hub Headlight deadline looms.

MLW
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  10:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit MLW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice progress.

I really like your ballast as well: Color, texture, application.

Very well done

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  12:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks; most of the layout models track ballasted with cinders. The bridge area is done with Woodland Scenics "Fine Cinders" with modest quantities of "Fine Brown" and "Fine Gray" mixed in to represent clinkers. Part of West Lynn is done with a stone 'cinders' product which I stopped using because the white chunks were too big. Elsewhere, I've used the Highball Products limestone cinders, but nobody in my area stocks it and I haven't been motivated to order it since I figured out how to get the effect I want with WS products.

Most of the ballast is applied using conventional 'bonded' techniques, but when I want it to stick to an unrealistically steep slope (yes, if I was HO scale, I wouldn't want to be a brakeman on this road), I paint the slope with a 50/50 dilution of white glue and sprinkle ballast mix on it.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  08:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After maybe 6 hours work Saturday & Sunday, the Hytron warehouse looks like this:

Idea Scoreboard: Wins

Gluing styrene to acrylic with Weld-On cement.

Masking warehouse doors so they're clear and look open from a distance.

JTT corrugated styrene for the shed - more brittle than Evergreen or Plastruct, but glues OK.

Angle jig so I could make the shed removable.

So-so:

Polyethylene political sign material sprayed black & ballasted for the roof - when a grain gets knocked off, I get a white spot.

3M spray cement for the Plastruct cinder block - should have used Weld-On, it worked to repair loose bits.

Fail:

Sanded acrylic isn't opaque enough for the fibreglass windows.

I'm going to try printing a scaled photo of the prototype's windows and gluing it on with contact cement. But aside from that, a sign and some roof details, the building is done. Now I must write part II of my article for the Hub Headlight.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  1:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Overall Scoreboard: Honors.

Nicely done!

Pete
in Michigan

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  6:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice job! How about paper for the corrugated fiberglass? You can use the plastic corrugated as a mold.Put a light inside and it will show through.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  1:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete & Bill. The fibreglass windows aren't corrugated, but once I get everything in place, I will try applying prints of photos of the prototype. But getting everything in place is going to wait about three weeks.

My role in the NER "Tracks to Lakeport" convention 10/17-20 has expanded - beside my passenger car clinic, I'm subbing for a guy who wasn't able to put on a slide show, and having my Eastern Route open for visitors Thursday afternoon & all day Sunday. So it's cleanup/organize time. Some in-progress projects are getting put away, some are getting finished:

This is the last piece of backdrop in the south (West Lynn/Bexley) end of the room. I scribed/cut the cove curve in 1/8" masonite with a compass and a utility knife. 2" angle brackets and countersunk 12-24 flathead machine screws hold the bottom. Despite all the fancy gadgets and numbers, paint matching is still inexact. I took a little extra time to blend darker blue with my latest can of "not quite Sherwin Williams 1787" from the local hardware store.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  7:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All of your latest developments are looking really nice, James. I love the close-up side view of the BL-2 and the new structure certainly can handle a bunch of traffic. Good luck at the convention. Nothing like a group of visitors to spur you on!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  10:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I didn't get a lot of visitors, but I enjoyed showing the layout to everyone who stopped by. And I met a couple of new-to-me local modelers. My presentations at the convention went well, though between cleanup for the tour and a short-notice trip to NJ courtesy of my soon-to-be-former employer, I did a "yellow box/stack loader" slide show. No time for operations, but I saw Dave Sias's layout and had a great conversation with Dwight Smith after buying some of his photos, which I'll be able to use on my Unofficial B&M Page.

Since I got home, I've completed 1538, my Hobbytown RS-3, and another NPP O&W coach is ready for diaphragms before joining the secondary passenger service fleet. Photos later this week.

Page: of 56 Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000