Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rebuilding the Royal and Edisto Railroad Topic Next Topic: Tubular Diaphragm Question
Page: of 60

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  4:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And all of this in the proper "Bluebird" blue and white!

Nicely done, and an interesting modification. Thanks for sharing this one.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  07:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome, Pete.

The next operational problem was how to tell when trains in Saugus staging were at, or too close to the easterly switch. There will be a building in front of the backdrop to disguise where the track comes through, but it can have windows & doors in the critical area. The backdrop is lauan plywood, so I made 1.125" holes with an expansion bit and squared them at the bottom with a utility knife.

You can just see the cylinders of a Mountain in the left window. The gaps are at the red line. I'm thinking about ways of using colored LEDs to make the position easier to see. I know some people use IRDOT sensors and others CCTV, but they seem complicated and likely to take longer to get into service.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  5:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not complicated at all. Just buy the circuit and IR or Optical sensors and install them at the foul points where your engines will be stopped. The indicator led will be lit when a train crosses over the sensor indicating the train is parked where it should be. Take a look here: http://www.azatrax.com/

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  07:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quite reasonable, Bill, if the press of stuff I already have hadn't made me swear to use it first, if at all possible, before buying anything new.

This is a 3-diode section of "Warm White" LED strip (wrong color for RR lighting, and my ex didn't like it for room lighting either). They plywood block is white-glued to the back of the backdrop above the windows I cut. It draws 20 mA at 12 VDC, so I tried feeding it off my 18 VAC buss with a diode bridge and one of Micro Lumina's 20 mA "Current Limiting Devices". No smoke!

This is what the operator sees (if their vision is a bit blurry, sorry). I've got a Walthers background building on order to replace the cardboard mockery - er, mockup.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  6:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I took last week as vacation, but there were lots of family goings on, so not too much to report. Most of the time spent was sitting next to the wood stove and wiring up another extension for my Prodigy Advance control buss.

Now I can use the tethered throttle at West Lynn and Draw. More details where I bumped my long-ago thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24258

I also took up the "PSX DCC circuit breakers vs. old MCR booster" battle again. To my surprise, both halves of a PSX-2 worked, where the PSX-1 I bought at the same time didn't. So now they're in service with red short indicator LEDs. Except that usually the MRC booster trips before the PSX, so all I really gained is the red indication. Hi ho.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  11:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the way your 200 year old wood frames that photo.
L&N nut
Jon

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  08:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The good news: as the 5-year anniversary of this thread approaches (and people are asking me about availability for tours this coming fall), I started shooting a railfan-style layout tour. I've posted room shots and a trackplan earlier in the thread; they haven't changed significantly. So far I've done the southern half, starting at Draw (staging), proceeding through West Lynn to Bexley:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115858323281274415788/LayoutTourJanuary2013

The bad news: something I did to the DCC decoder in 3821 bricked the loco - headlight on but doesn't respond to any commands, or operate in DC mode. I'm sure I can fix it, but it's going to be dragged the length of the mainline for the photo shoot before I touch another piece of DCC %#$%.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  08:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have a nice city street scene just before the tunnel.
L&N nut
Jon

bror hultgren
New Hire

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  10:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,
A really nice representation of Salem.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  08:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jon. I know I have a solid layout with good wiring and track, but at times I wish I found it as easy to finish scenes as some other RR-Line members.

Bror, I think of Bexley as a stand-in for Salem; while organizing recently I found a plan I'd drawn with a more accurate Salem as the centerpiece. Doing the Northey Point wye believably is tough in a space that's only 3 of John Armstrong's "squares" wide.

I shot the north half last night, using +2 exposure compensation because Wednesday's all needed about +1.3 gamma correction. I need to review the camera's metering options. But there turned out to be a couple of nice angles on the N (railroad E) side of the Rt. 1A overpass. Alas, the other was blurred; I also need a sandbag and a remote release.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2013 :  07:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When the "Par4" challenge was announced, I was inspired to work on my Little River scene; it's too big for the challenge rules, but I have almost everything I need handy. My very busy January and the recent snow storm kept me from actually starting until the other night:

Some previous photos show how I built the marsh and river bed. Now I've got brown fake fur cut out for the marsh grass. I used the cut-out bits of hardboard riverbed as a pattern.

Next will be completing the stone work for the bridge, with maybe an interlude to see if I took a slide of it before it was demolished in 1997. It would be nice to know if there was a center pier like the still-extant road bridge has.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2013 :  1:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like that anvil

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2013 :  2:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The anvil came to me when Joe Singerling, born Newark, NJ 1902, passed on. It came with a few other more-or-less makeshift shop items, but I have no idea whether he made it himself, or picked it up from somebody else who'd made it. It looks like about 60 lb. rail.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  08:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If Kodak had left enough space on slide boxes so I could have written all the places on every one, it would have taken me 5 min. to find this, but as it was, about 2.5 hours of memories:

The Eastern RR stone slab bridge at Forerock (Boston St., Newbury MA) in 1995. The rebuilding between Ipswich and Newburyport was just starting, you can see the erosion control. The intermediate piers are about 18" wide, so I can model one of them. I also built my track a good deal higher above the marsh than the prototype.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  09:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now there's a bridge that's begging to be modeled.

Mike

Page: of 60 Previous Topic: Rebuilding the Royal and Edisto Railroad Topic Next Topic: Tubular Diaphragm Question  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000