Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power
Page: of 61

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  09:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James I just spent the last 2 coffees catching up with your layout progress, it is coming along nicely, not too many modelers will do handlaying. Thanks for sharing.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  07:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lynn. Handlaying gets easier with practice, and it does give you some extra options when planning in tight spaces.

Most recent progress hasn't been very photogenic, but yesterday the stars aligned and I got in about 5 hours with my airbrush - I'll have to refill the nitrogen tank before I do any more, but here's what happened to my "equipment waiting for weathering" queue:

Not shown are a flat and a structure kit, and a P2K RDC that I'm redecorating from NYSW M2 to the B&M.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  07:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had been stalled on finishing the West Lynn yard lead because I hadn't decided if I was going to do River Works' in-plant track with ties, or just rail on the homasote, paved over. Finally, I decided I would do the receiving tracks from the B&M to Bldg. 41 as open. This leaves it open to do the remainder, past Bldg. 30, as paved-in. Yesterday evening, I got started on the ties:

I've also been noticing that my spurs don't have anything to keep cars from rolling off the end. Most are getting wheel stops, but there are a few places where I need a full bumper. CMA (Tichy) makes nice injection-molded styrene, which took some effort to assemble

I'm a bit worried about them getting crunched by track cleaning, re-railing etc. Walthers isn't too clear about materials on some of their offerings. Can anyone recommend a good-looking brass Hayes or similar bumper that I can solder in place in high-risk locations?

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  01:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tomar Industries has an all brass Hayes type. http://www.tomarindustries.com/acc.htm Go to the bumping post and click on the blue #808. It will show you a small photo of one. You will need to use the insulators or it will short. They also have Hayes type SF wheel stops that are white metal castings.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  10:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill. Looking at Tomar's #808, I think I've seen quite a few of them here and there. Four will handle my West Lynn yard, which has a fairly steep downgrade on the ladder and needs protection. I think Bowser (maybe formerly Selley) makes a Hayes SF wheel stop in metal too.

Nothing photogenic to post about, just ballast and a couple of rails. However, I have scanned some old track charts and drawings, and otherwise updated my Unofficial B&M Page: http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/bmrr/b_and_m.html

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  07:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Seacoast Division organized an operating day last month, which I enjoyed a lot. When I got home, I decided to get back to the unfinished track in West Lynn, as I really only need the yard, the interchange tracks with River Works' in-plant railroad and the Gear Works track to make the Lynn Goat an interesting 2-trick job.

I decided this area should be open track; I'll save the street track for the GE-switched part of the plant (lower left). There's been a lot of rail laid in the yard (upper right), but that won't be photogenic for a while.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  09:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that last pic you have as many feet of track and are only 1 switch shy of what I have on my entire layout!

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  08:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, one side of the the non-urban end of the room has about 14 feet of line with only a single turnout. But GE's River Works and the B&M plant that supported it were heavy industry by everybody but Harsco's standards.

This is a larger view I shot last night (and took more time fixing up than it would have to get out the lights).

After Thanksgiving dinner, I got the final track in the yard, which will actually be a team track, finished. The cardboard mock-up is probably going to be an Acme freight forwarding facility - the prototype was on the Western Div. but they generated interesting priority traffic. The Walthers plastic Hayes bumpers are temporarily installed pending painting. Track in the area needs only a few more spikes. Wiring in this quadrant of the room is complete until I start laying the GE receiving area.

This also moves ahead on the Model RR Engineer - Electrical AP: "One yard with a minimum of three tracks and a switching lead independent of the main line." - Bexley's yard doesn't have an independent lead unless you count one of the two mains at East Bexley.

In other AP news, I submitted the Author AP paperwork earlier this month.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  3:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Non-photogenic progress:
1. Wired a new outlet box with a switch to control layout power.
2. Mounted a power strip where I could plug all 5 power supplies into it (8A booster, Prodigy, 28VDC, 18VAC/16VDC, 10VDC) and organized the cords.
3. Installed LED light strips E of the chimney and in the N end of the room.
4. Fixed my modified 90' Walthers turntable - Goo had dried out, so the bull gear had dropped down the shaft (can't happen if you build it according to the instructions). Fixed by applying electrical tape below the gear on the shaft.
5. Designed how I'll wire the in-plant track at River Works. This is consistent with my overall goal of making block power as easy to use/transparent to the operator as possible, and may be worth an article some day.
6. Ran trains till I found a few problems, fixed the problems, ran trains some more...
7. Started reading about C/MRI, JMRI etc. - many features I wouldn't need, but the Hub Division has chosen that as the signaling standard for the modular layout.
8. Figured out how to add my own objects in XTrkCAD, so I'll be starting a "Signals" layer in my plan. I think I'd need 23 to properly follow B&M practice.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  5:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi James, progress is progress...even if it is not visible...as long as it pushes the layout on to better operations, I say! Are your Bluebirds from the latest release at Athearn Genesis?

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  12:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every little bit is progress. A little bit here, a little bit there... it all adds up!

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  12:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It certainly does, Mark, and I check in on yours occasionally too.

Mike, the GP-9s are Genesis, with DCC/sound. It makes me feel lazy, a bit, as I have a couple of Cary shells and Hobbytown power for them on the shelf. They'll get their day after I retire.

These are my 3rd and 4th sound units, and the first freight units. I have mixed feelings about the sound - I spent more time around 1st generation Geeps than most people who haven't worked as engine crew. It sounds right when I throttle up, but as soon as I start switching, it's wrong. John Armstrong didn't like sound-as-a-function-of-voltage either, and I recently re-read his ?1969? MR article on how he fixed it, analog, in an 0-scale 4-8-4. Given that decoders have sensed back-EMF for a while, with the right tools I could probably re-program one to do what I want, but that's another thing to consider after retirement.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  6:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi James, I'm just in the process of reading Neil Young's book. He is a well-known Canadian singer/songwriter who is an avid model railroader as well. He is very finicky about the accuracy and subtleties of sound. Yes, in retirement, we'll all have a little extra time to tinker in the various areas of the hobby!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  09:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I joined RR-Line five years ago last Thursday, and this thread will be five at the end of January. I plan to do a photo fan trip (which may double as NMRA AP prep), but haven't had time - maybe when I take the last week of the year off.

Recent progress hasn't been photogenic. Getting away from trackwork Thursday night, I set up my 1996 Digitrax PR-1 with a computer old enough to run the software, wanting to get the two GP-9s set up the same to simplify consisting. Alas, while it works fine on non-sound decoders, it screwed up both sound locos pretty much completely. One took a reset command OK, the other won't. So I have an $250 engine which rings the bell once when I try to turn on the headlight. I really wish DCC vendors were paying more attention to how interoperability and conformance to open standards made the Internet successful. I was thinking of getting a PR-3 to use with JMRI, but the web tells me they don't reliably program Soundtraxx. Maybe a Sprog, but not right now...

I'm working on the switch controls in Newburyport instead - One knob had come loose, and I'd been moving fast on completing the loop when I did that panel. Some of the switches don't throw very well, and with the way I'd done the knobs to minimize risk of catching on clothes, several others required finger strength to grip that not everybody has. I've got it partly fixed; I'll post pictures when I have time to work on it.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  07:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A quick post: I've been doing more operational tuning - running trains and fixing things that get in the way of enjoying it, either for me alone or for a group. This is the Newburyport West panel after some time with the Triton resistance soldering tool (which required fixing itself):

I'd originally turned the acorn nuts point-out, but some of the mechanisms took a lot of finger strength. So I turned them around. While I was at it, I filled the openings with solder to improve the bond with the brass rods and steel wires. They're all in 'normal' except for the lower left.

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000